Jake Saliba

Default tracking vocals in a bedroom

I'm getting started doing multitrack recordings but i dont have a
location of my own. I have a portable rig and the artist supplies the
recording location and i make due with the circumstances. Sometimes
the rooms are decent, but lately i've been challenged with trying to
record a decent vocal in 10x10 bedrooms, which wreak havoc on the sound
of the vocal. styles range from rock to pop to even hip hop.

my current setup is a TLM103 into an RNP into my 001. my workaround
for avoiding the accoustic environment of the bedroom as of now is to
simply get the vocalist right up on the mic (3 inches) and EQ out the
huge amount of proximity effect. this works better than the really bad
sound of the room but it's still unnatural and i wonder if there's any
practical easy way to get a more dead vocal so i can put some space
between the mic and the performer and leave the vocal flat. any
solution would have to avoid actually putting anything up on the walls
or things like that, because it's not my house.

i just remembered that i may still have approx 50 sq ft of accoustic 2
inch foam in storage. would this be enough to build some kind of gobo
type thing i could put near or around the mic/vocalist to help things
out? if so, what do you think would be the best configuration?

thanks for any help you can give
jake

SSJVCmag

4 x 8 sheet of pegboard
4 8' pieces of 1 x 3
Box of 2" CORNING 703
Bag or 2 of polyester quilting batting
Glue and screws

Rip the 4x8 peg down the long center to give you a pair of 2 x 8 pieces
Cut the 1/3's into a frame that will fit the 2x8 sheets
Glue n screw frame to face of pegboard
Fit 703 to the resulting 'box' panel
Wrap 703 in batting
Place into frame
Stand them up and place them where they do the most good around your
vocalist
Hit RECORD

On 9/9/05 2:52 AM, in article
, "Jake Saliba"
wrote:

[...]

Ethan Winer

Jake,

i may still have approx 50 sq ft of accoustic 2 inch foam

In that case just tie a bunch of foam to mike stands with string, and place
them around the mike to build a sort of semi-enclosed "booth" space.

Or put the mike in a closet full of clothes and sing in there.

--Ethan