Default M-Audio DMP3 mic pre. Lots of features-how does it sound?

The M-Audio DMP3 touts extended frequency response and numerous other
features at a very low price. Has anyone tried it and how does it
engage the human ear?
peakester

David Satz

I don't like to make comments about the "sound" of mike preamps for a
variety of reasons, but what I can tell you is that for its price, the
DMP3 seems unusually well adapted for use with modern condenser
microphones in real-world recording situations. It has high input
overload margins (it can handle 2+ Vrms in its low gain setting) and a
decent phantom powering circuit (it can support a pair of Schoeps 48
Volt microphones properly at 4.5 mA apiece, which many small portable
preamps can't). The output is not only balanced but symmetrical, and
the preamp maintains correct signal polarity from input to output.

It's the lowest-cost preamp that I would find usable for location
recording. What I actually use these days is a Grace Lunatec, but if I
had to make do with a DMP3, I think I could.

My only qualm is its rather lightweight packaging--I'd want to wrap it
carefully before putting it into a backpack or gig bag. Also I've never
tried it out in a high-RF environment, and I don't know whether it has
a "pin 1 problem" or not.

--best regards