Danny Taddei

Default Q: string bass Compression / Violin Mic'ing w/ limited equipment

I find myself in dilemma with 2 problems I was not prepared for. I need
to tame a string bass and can't find a setting to help. It's a
simple need of bringing soft up and load down but I am losing to much
somewhere. He's playing full range on the neck so the high parts
respond much different to the lows and without an automated release
time I can't find a good compromise.

On Violin:
I have only a very limited amount of gear with me and a limited amount
of time to get the track done tomorrow. I have several Oktava's
mk012. 219's - and I have some MXL 603e's, V67's. Rode NTV,
NT1's NT2's and some dynamic mics - MD421 and some agk's. So I
am very limited. I am going for the string sound of a quartet with an
acoustic guitar on top with a love song male vocal.

The bass is tracked already and came out good other then dynamic
control. I only have a set of sp737's for pres with me -

I'm open for ideas (other then buying more microphones)

Scott Dorsey

Danny Taddei wrote:
I find myself in dilemma with 2 problems I was not prepared for. I need
to tame a string bass and can't find a setting to help. It's a
simple need of bringing soft up and load down but I am losing to much
somewhere. He's playing full range on the neck so the high parts
respond much different to the lows and without an automated release
time I can't find a good compromise.

Try a de-esser. You can use a sidechain EQ to make the high end more
compressed than the low end or vice-versa.

Or, you can just ignore the problem and figure that he wants it to sound
this way otherwise he wouldn't be playing like that.

On Violin:
I have only a very limited amount of gear with me and a limited amount
of time to get the track done tomorrow. I have several Oktava's
mk012. 219's - and I have some MXL 603e's, V67's. Rode NTV,
NT1's NT2's and some dynamic mics - MD421 and some agk's. So I
am very limited. I am going for the string sound of a quartet with an
acoustic guitar on top with a love song male vocal.

The bass is tracked already and came out good other then dynamic
control. I only have a set of sp737's for pres with me -

I'm open for ideas (other then buying more microphones)

What do you want it to sound like? You're trying for a mushy sort of
Barry Manilow string style? Try miking from behind, over the shoulder
of the performers, with the 421. Tailor the crap out of the top end
with EQ. Or try another dynamic mike with less of a presence peak,
if you have something around.
Danny Taddei

I didn't even think of the side chain. I tried it and it worked pretty
well but I forgot that I had the C4 waves plug. I tried that and it
worked great. I don=E2=80=99t use plug ins much so I tend to forget they=E2=
=80=99re
there.

I am tracking the violin tomorrow. I=E2=80=99m looking to get a sticky rosi=
n,
up close and personal sound out of the violin but I doubt I am going to
be able to do it. I am in a crappy room with hardly the right gear.

I was thinking that a small diaphragm like the oktava, about 3 feet to
the side and above looking at the bridge and just catching the peaks
with compression =E2=80=93 But I have never used anything but a u87 or 414 =
on
one before so I don=E2=80=99t know what to expect. Like I said, I have to g=
et
the track done in a hurry so I don=E2=80=99t have time to be a goof =E2=98=
=BA
Thanks for the help. If you hadn't mentioned the side chaing I would
have never remembered the C4!