David Satz

Default Speed/pitch adjustment in Nakamichi 582Z cassette deck

Does anyone have a service manual handy for the Nakamichi 582Z cassette
deck, or know for sure where the speed/pitch servo adjustment would be
in this model? I've got an otherwise functioning deck which is running
about 1% fast; the pitch discrepancy is unacceptable for musicians,
including me.

--best regards

Scott Dorsey

David Satz wrote:
Does anyone have a service manual handy for the Nakamichi 582Z cassette
deck, or know for sure where the speed/pitch servo adjustment would be
in this model? I've got an otherwise functioning deck which is running
about 1% fast; the pitch discrepancy is unacceptable for musicians,
including me.

First place I would look is on the back of the motor; some of these
things have integral servo electronics built into the motor or on a
board on the back of the capstan motor.

I'd change the pinch roller first, though.
Chris Hornbeck

On 5 Sep 2005 06:29:44 -0700, "David Satz" wrote:

Does anyone have a service manual handy for the Nakamichi 582Z cassette
deck, or know for sure where the speed/pitch servo adjustment would be
in this model? I've got an otherwise functioning deck which is running
about 1% fast; the pitch discrepancy is unacceptable for musicians,
including me.

The speed trim is inside a rubber flap on the back of
the capstan motor. You'll need a small flat-blade
screwdriver, and if it's metal, you'll need to
remove it after making each small incremental
adjustment because it will affect speed.

Given its age, you might even want to get brave
and try to get a tiny drop of Cailube onto that pot,
maybe via the screwdriver.

How's our loading belt? The one that pulls the
head bridge up and down? Got a few spares left
for special people, just bounce me a USPS
address.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
David Satz

Chris, thanks for the kind offer(s) but this deck was overhauled by
Nakamichi around four years ago, and all of its replaceable squishy
parts still seem to be OK. If I can just get the speed into a more
reasonable range, everything should be fine with it. Again, many
thanks.

--best regards

I'd change the pinch roller first, though.

This wouln't affect the speed. In my opinion.

Scott Dorsey

I'd change the pinch roller first, though.

This wouln't affect the speed. In my opinion.

On a cassette deck, you can sometimes have speed problems before the
flutter gets out of control, because the torque is so different on
the two reels. If the capstan isn't tight, the tape will run slow
for the first half, then fast for the second half, since the reel motors
are pulling the tape along somewhat and there is some slippage at the
capstan.

This is why servo control of reel motors is such a big deal.