Default Huh? No big fanfare about the Mbox 2?

I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

philicorda

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:

I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

It's the Mbox, with midi sockets and a new case.

The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.
Ricky Hunt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

Not much to say about it really.

Agent 86

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:56:48 +0000, philicorda wrote:

The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.

Arny, where are you?
Agent 86

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:

I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

Probably 'cause nobody here really gives much of a rat's ass.

Are you a Digi shill or what?

The best news is that since it pushed down the retail price of MBoxes,
now the ones that were going for $375 on Craig's List will be a better
deal at $250. And anyone that doesn't think a full MBox with PTools LE
for that s in denial.

I hate 4 input boxes that only give 2 of them via spdif. That's
barely a plus at all. And I can't find any reference to USB 2.0 so
it's not firewire or USB 2, adds midi port, 48k, two spdif inputs and
for that they cycle a product? I don't get it.

well, one could think that they started seeing the street and used
price of the original Mbox going down, so they recycle it w/midi and a
new box so that they can continue to get +400 for them. all with out
much more cost to them. And people love brand new versions.

david correia

philicorda wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:

I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

It's the Mbox, with midi sockets and a new case.

The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.

" Mbox 2 lets you to use two analog inputs and two channels of S/PDIF
digital input at the same time to achieve four simultaneous channels of
audio input."

I always thought the mbox had a max of 2 channels in.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

studiorat

The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

Federico

James Bond recording stuff?

"studiorat" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

Rob Reedijk

Federico wrote:
James Bond recording stuff?

License to kill music?
Rob R.

"studiorat" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

Lorin David Schultz

I just took a quick look out of curiousity, and the new features in the
Mbox2 come with some tradeoffs compared to the original Mbox.

First, the outputs are unbalanced. Second, the output level is slightly
lower. Third, the noise is slightly higher. Fourth, the headphone amp
is weenier and has only one jack. There may be other differences too...
those are just what I noticed in a quick comparison.

Whether or not any of those differences matter in a product at that
price point is a valid question, particularly in light of the added
features.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Mike Rivers

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

First, the outputs are unbalanced. Second, the output level is slightly
lower.

That's to take care of all the people who ask "Will it hurt my sound
quality to connect it to an unbalanced input?" and "Why is the level so
hot when I play a recording?"

Third, the noise is slightly higher.

That's so you can tell when it's turned on.

Fourth, the headphone amp
is weenier and has only one jack.

A mini headphone jack? Obviously this is designed to be an accessory
for the iPod. Did I miss an announcement that Apple bought out Avid?

Kurt Albershardt

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Federico wrote:

"studiorat" ha scritto nel messaggio
groups.com...

The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

James Bond recording stuff?

License to kill music?

Unfortunately, that activity has not been regulated much at all.

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
I just took a quick look out of curiousity, and the new features in the
Mbox2 come with some tradeoffs compared to the original Mbox.
First, the outputs are unbalanced.

Yeah, and MBox has balanced outputs? In your dreams. Check again, mr
genius.

Second, the output level is slightly
lower.

Wrong.

Third, the noise is slightly higher.

Where are you RMAA graphics to show that?

Fourth, the headphone amp
is weenier and has only one jack. There may be other differences too...
those are just what I noticed in a quick comparison.

Yeah. I think there are more, like MIDI output and an uglier look. Were
you too busy measuring the noise level to notice that?

Lorin David Schultz

Yeah, and MBox has balanced outputs? In your dreams. Check again, mr
genius.

Huh? What's with the attitude? Why do you need to be insulting to make
your point?

Of course the Mbox has balanced outputs. Where did you get the idea it
doesn't?

Second, the output level is slightly
lower.

Wrong.

According to Digidesign's own specs:

Original Mbox: Maximum Output: +4.2 dBu
Mbox2: Maximum Output: +4 dBV

You do the math (hint: it's not 200mV difference).

Third, the noise is slightly higher.

Where are you RMAA graphics to show that?

I'm not nearly that interested -- all I did was compare Digi's own
published specs on their web site. You can too.

Yeah. I think there are more, like MIDI output and an uglier look.
Were you too busy measuring the noise level to notice that?

I can't even begin to imagine why you would have a problem with what I
wrote, or why you would choose to both champion and denigrate the Mbox2
in the same post, but it doesn't really matter to me. I didn't say one
was a better choice than the other, I said there's no such thing as a
free lunch. The Mbox2 adds some features, but sacrifices others and
does so at the expense of some of the specs.

Like I said, whether the changes matter or not depends on the user's
needs, preferences and expectations.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nathan R

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:58:30 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"

[...]

Tight. Stop frontin'