Brian Standefer

Default Studio Glass Type

I'm buying glass for the various windows in a new studio build...Here's the
configuration:

All windows in booths and between Control/Cutting rooms are two sheets of
glass, one 1/2" thick and the other 3/8" thick, with a couple inches between
the two sheets.

The windows to the outside will be the same, and therefore inoperable to
help control noise leaks.

Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place of the recommended
Laminated glass to save money? Any disadvantages to doing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brian

Scott Dorsey

Brian Standefer wrote:
Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place of the recommended
Laminated glass to save money? Any disadvantages to doing this?

No, go the laminated route. Think of it as a bunch of different layers of
glass with stuff in-between, so it doesn't flex like a solid surface and
vibrations tend to break up.
Richard Crowley

"Brian Standefer" wrote ...
I'm buying glass for the various windows in a new studio
build...Here's the configuration:

All windows in booths and between Control/Cutting rooms
are two sheets of glass, one 1/2" thick and the other 3/8" thick,
with a couple inches between the two sheets.

The windows to the outside will be the same, and therefore
inoperable to help control noise leaks.

Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place
of the recommended Laminated glass to save money? Any
disadvantages to doing this?

If you can, go down to the glass shop and simply knock
on each and see (hear) for yourself what the difference is.