Default Listening to music for folks who are deaf in one ear?

My aged father in law is deaf in one ear (and I think he probably has
some impairment in the "good ear" too). I think he might resume his
interest in listening to music if we could buy him something that would
help him hear better, as his hearing seems to be enough of an
impairment that he no longer uses his stereo system. He was once a
serious amateur musician, and spent a number of years fundraising for
the local symphony, so I think his hearing impairment in general must
be pretty significant for it to so completely interfere with his
enjoyment of music now.

So, ideas: we could buy him earbuds and an iPod (and stock it with
music first, he has no internet connection!). Would the earbuds (that
either come with the iPod or that are good/better aftermarket
alternatives) play the same stuff in each ear, or would he be losing
some of the sound (if the left and right have different channels)? Are
there stereo/mono settings for these things (either on the iPod or on
the earphones?) Or is it actually all mono, same channel piped into
both ears? And would using earbuds and an iPod give his hearing ear
significantly better sound than he gets with the stereo system he's no
longer using (just by piping the sound more directly to his ear,
without ambient noise, and/or by being "higher fidelity")?

Is there a better alternative?

He has already tried -- and rejected -- a hearing aid for the "bad"
ear.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joe Kesselman

If you really want to try this, what you want is to mix the stereo
signal down to mono. The mono setting on a pair of headphones does that;
so does the mono setting on any piece of electronics that has one. Then
just disable (or don't use) the other earpiece.

But simply standing back from a pair of stereo speakers has the same
effect, and if he isn't happy with that... Earbud and an iPod won't give
his good ear better sound than the existing stereo system; what it
*MIGHT* do is avoid feeding the sound to his bad ear, which might be
hearing just enough signal to be distracting.

Personal take: Is this something he has requested, or something you're
trying to do for him without discussing it with him? If the latter, I
would advise strongly that you just suggest it and let _him_ think about
whether it's worth trying. He may not be listening to music these days
as much because it reminds him of his frustration with the impairment as
because it's actually affecting his ability to hear it, and pushing him
too hard may not be the kindest thing you can do.

I'd also strongly recommend "try before buy", since it should be very
easy to walk into a store and ask for a demo. I'd also point out that
there are lots of options besides iPod, including the headphone jack on
his existing stereo system.
rmathies99

better yet 1 get him a small laptop and install a media player preferably
winamp . winamp has a mixer with balance that is very effective . He could
wear a comfortable set of headfones and set the balance to accomodate his
ears loss .

--
http://www.geocities.com/rmathies99/index.html

to hear free mp3's by this artist goto
http://music.download.com/jazzartistrobertmathies
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Scott Dorsey

[...]

My wife has hearing in only one ear. I have made her up a bunch of
single-ear headphones, with two 47 ohm resistors to sum the two channels
together. This way she hears both channels in one ear. However, her
hearing is excellent, it's just only in one ear (due to a congenital
defect).

If you listen to just one side of the Mamas and the Papas, you only
hear one or the other. That's kind of an extreme example since most
recordings don't have such exaggerated separation.

Is there a better alternative?

He has already tried -- and rejected -- a hearing aid for the "bad"
ear.

Well, the question is how good the hearing in the good ear is. It also
might be possible to use radical equalization to compensate to some extent
for his hearing loss in the good ear.

I'd suggest getting him a single-headphone for the stereo system. If you
don't want to make one, I think Stanton sells something like that for
DJs to cue with. Then I'd suggest a cheap graphic equalizer and see if
an exaggerated high-end will help him. If these work, then consider going
the ipod route.
Peter de Waal

My wife has hearing in only one ear. I have made her up a bunch of
single-ear headphones, with two 47 ohm resistors to sum the two channels
together. This way she hears both channels in one ear. However, her
hearing is excellent, it's just only in one ear (due to a congenital
defect).

I have hearing in one ear only. I have set iTunes to rip my CDs in mono
to get them in mono onto my iPod. Works like a charm. MP3s that are
already recorded in stereo (radio plays or podcasts e.g.) I just rerip
into mono with Audion.

Peter.

Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq Music Technology Newsletter - Issue 22 Scott R. Garrigus General 0 August 18th 05 11:58 PM
Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Fwd: Research Says Music Really Does Have Charms to Soothe the Savage Breast ... and So On.... clamnebula Audio Opinions 4 October 10th 04 01:09 AM
Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction Bob Cain Pro Audio 266 August 17th 04 06:50 AM
On the difference between music lovers and audiophiles [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 4 January 9th 04 01:20 PM