Frank Stearns

Default 2-channel snake suggestions

I've got all the 8 and 4 channel snakes needed for the kind of location
work I do, but in the last couple of gigs have been wishing I had 2-3 sets
of 2 channel snakes (30-60 foot range).

Gepco, unfortunately, does not make a 2 channel version of their xband
product; Belden has something in their FlexNake line but at US$1.01/foot
(Markertek). No doubt Canare and Mogomi have something, but the sticker
shock is always a bit much.

Just curious if I've overlooked a manufacturer/source that will sell by
the foot a braid shield product with capacitance somewhere in the mid-20s
or maybe a bit less, and perhaps go for US$.70-.80/foot.

Thanks,
Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Scott Dorsey

Frank Stearns wrote:
I've got all the 8 and 4 channel snakes needed for the kind of location
work I do, but in the last couple of gigs have been wishing I had 2-3 sets
of 2 channel snakes (30-60 foot range).

Gepco, unfortunately, does not make a 2 channel version of their xband
product; Belden has something in their FlexNake line but at US$1.01/foot
(Markertek). No doubt Canare and Mogomi have something, but the sticker
shock is always a bit much.

Just curious if I've overlooked a manufacturer/source that will sell by
the foot a braid shield product with capacitance somewhere in the mid-20s
or maybe a bit less, and perhaps go for US$.70-.80/foot.

Gotham makes a cable that is actually two mike cables together in a sort
of siamese pair. It looks like a huge zip cord. It's a real pain for
long runs, but for a 30 foot length it is very convenient.

I admit that what I do for this sort of thing is to use two mike cables
that are coiled together. They uncoil down at the same time, and I
wrap them up together when I strike. It's not much more work than
laying out a 2-channel snake, and you can split them apart into two
cables in a pinch if you need that.

Zigakly

I admit that what I do for this sort of thing is to use two mike cables
that are coiled together. They uncoil down at the same time, and I
wrap them up together when I strike. It's not much more work than
laying out a 2-channel snake, and you can split them apart into two
cables in a pinch if you need that.

I do the exact same thing for room recording mic pairs, just tape them
together 1' from each end, and they wrap/unwrap fine. I've also had a
surprising number of incidences where 30' is just right, 25' wouldn't be
enough, and 50' would be a pain in the ass.

Frank Stearns

"Zigakly" writes:

I admit that what I do for this sort of thing is to use two mike cables
that are coiled together. They uncoil down at the same time, and I
wrap them up together when I strike. It's not much more work than
laying out a 2-channel snake, and you can split them apart into two
cables in a pinch if you need that.

I do the exact same thing for room recording mic pairs, just tape them
together 1' from each end, and they wrap/unwrap fine. I've also had a
surprising number of incidences where 30' is just right, 25' wouldn't be
enough, and 50' would be a pain in the ass.

Indeed. All my cables are oddball lengths (20, 30, 45, 60, 70, 115,
singles; 75' 4-channel and a pair of 135' 8 channels), suited to my review
of a number of regional venues and situations and then working in them. So
far, things have been just right! Woo hoo! (Except the current desire for
some paired pups.)

I appreciate the idea of rolling my own 2 chan cable (no pun), but have a
few minor reservations (aesthetics, consistent tangle-free/pinch and grab-
free ease of wind/unwind, that sort of thing). Cost may win out, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW -- anyone want some Belden 1805F 8 chan AES-EBU snake? I've got about
200 feet left. I'll make you a good deal. It is foil shield and therefore
should be handled with some care (but it is snake designated and lays out
quite well). It's only 13 pf/foot. That 135 feet has minimal sonic impact.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio