Default +4dBu to -10dBV pad schematic?

I've got attenuation calculators and formulas up the wazoo, but does
anybody have a quick and easy schematic for a +4dBu to -10dbV pad using
stock resistor values?

TIA

--
Greg Glazier
Sound Editor

Jim Gregory

Balanced or unbalanced?
+4dBU is just over 1.2Volt (U = with no impedance involved)
-10dBV is about a third of a Volt rms.
So you want to drop level down to to a quarter or -12dB voltage gain
(bridging assumed)
What source Z, what load Z, or is it a standard low-into-high route?
First try out this quicky L-pad [Schematic hardly needed.]
series 1k5, shunt 470 to 510, so total load is approx 2k, and use MO
resistors.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got attenuation calculators and formulas up the wazoo, but does
anybody have a quick and easy schematic for a +4dBu to -10dbV pad using
stock resistor values?

TIA

--
Greg Glazier
Sound Editor

Mike Rivers wrote:

Best that you learn about these things and figure out for yourself what
you need, or if you want someone to design something for you, at least
post a link to the schematics of what you want to connect. How's that
for a tough assignment to keep you off our backs for a while? g

Mike, why must you always patronize? I *do* know about these "things,"
I was only asking if someone had a real simple combo, like 1k and 10k.
FWIW, this is from a 600 ohm transformer out to a VCR. I don't really
care about tight tolerance or exact matching, this is for recording
VHS, not rocket design. :-)

g2

Jim Gregory wrote:
Balanced or unbalanced?

Balanced to unbalanced... do you know of any -10dbV balanced devices?
I don't.

600 ohm transformer out to RCA VHS deck in. Tolerance WAY not critical.

g2

Mike Rivers

Mike, why must you always patronize? I *do* know about these "things,"
I was only asking if someone had a real simple combo, like 1k and 10k.

If you "know" about these things you wouldn't have to ask. You were
asking someone to design something that you should be able to design
yourself. I gave you a good resource, or you can use one of your
"calculators." Quit your bitching and be thankful that I'm helpful when
people actually are willing to take a little initiative.

FWIW, this is from a 600 ohm transformer out to a VCR. I don't really
care about tight tolerance or exact matching, this is for recording
VHS, not rocket design. :-)

Since it's coming from a transformer, you can safely ground the "low"
side. Get yourself a 10K pot and adjust it so that you get the right
level. That way, you won't even have to figure out what the ratio of +4
dBu to -10 dBV is, or even care whether the nominal input sensitivity
of the VCE is really -10 dBV (it probably isn't - that's a "semi pro
studio" standard level, not necessarily a "consumer gear" standard
level.)

Jim Gregory

Just asked u a normal scenario question.
In fact it's bal to unbal, but what Z is feeding the xformer primary?
Assuming nothing else is fed from the xformer sec, try my first lash-up
Otherwise try new values of 6k2 and 2k0 - 2k2. Suggest u construct 12dB pad
at receiving end.
Or you might try a 10k preset! hi end from source, wiper to destin, lo end
commoned to both devices, start at halfway and line up.

Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:

Mike, why must you always patronize? I *do* know about these "things,"
I was only asking if someone had a real simple combo, like 1k and 10k.

If you "know" about these things you wouldn't have to ask. You were
asking someone to design something that you should be able to design
yourself. I gave you a good resource, or you can use one of your
"calculators." Quit your bitching and be thankful that I'm helpful when
people actually are willing to take a little initiative.

They really need to delete "pro" from the name of this group.

Mike Rivers delicately wrote:

Quit your bitching and be thankful that I'm helpful when
people actually are willing to take a little initiative.

Thanks for being so helpful, Mike. You're a regular Mother Theresa. ;-)

Anyway, for the record, a 10K series and 3K6 shunt resistor will give
you a loss of 11.8 db (a voltage loss ratio of 3.88). This is for +4dbU
balanced (but tying low side to shield) to -10dbV.

Thanks.

g2

Scott Dorsey

Mike Rivers wrote:

Best that you learn about these things and figure out for yourself what
you need, or if you want someone to design something for you, at least
post a link to the schematics of what you want to connect. How's that
for a tough assignment to keep you off our backs for a while? g

Mike, why must you always patronize? I *do* know about these "things,"
I was only asking if someone had a real simple combo, like 1k and 10k.
FWIW, this is from a 600 ohm transformer out to a VCR. I don't really
care about tight tolerance or exact matching, this is for recording
VHS, not rocket design. :-)

You DO care then, because that's kind of a weird application. The
input impedance of the pad HAS to be 600 ohms, and the output impedance
is effectively infinite.

If you're trying the connection right now, and the output level is
much too high, put a 620 ohm bridge resistor across the output so
that the transformer stops ringing. See if that does not make your
levels more reasonable and the top end more pleasant too.

This kind of thing is exactly why Mike asked the question, since it
is quite possible you don't really need a pad at all, just a proper
termination resistor.

Richard Crowley

retrotech wrote ...
Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:

Mike, why must you always patronize? I *do* know about these
"things,"
I was only asking if someone had a real simple combo, like 1k and
10k.

If you "know" about these things you wouldn't have to ask. You were
asking someone to design something that you should be able to design
yourself. I gave you a good resource, or you can use one of your
"calculators." Quit your bitching and be thankful that I'm helpful
when
people actually are willing to take a little initiative.

They really need to delete "pro" from the name of this group.

They will have to all agree on what it means, first. :-)

I don't get your point. Mr. Rivers' response seemed
quite appropriate to me. OTOH, your initial question
was significantly lacking in important details which
only came out after goading from Mr. Rivers.

Setting the record straight:
600 ohm transformer secondary, TERMINATED, +4dBu out
Setup as unbalanced (tied low side to shield)
10K ohms series, 3K6 ohm shunt, per Rick Chinn's chart.
This gives me exactly what I need. If you want to quarrel with my
values used, take it up with Rick Chinn. ;-)

Paul Stamler

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Gregory wrote:
Balanced or unbalanced?

Balanced to unbalanced... do you know of any -10dbV balanced devices?
I don't.

Yes, the CardDeluxe. Jumpered for -10dBV sensitivity, it's still a balanced
input.

Peace,
Paul

Geoff@work

wrote in message

They really need to delete "pro" from the name of this group.

Why ? It's full of whores.

geoff