Jim Gregory

Default Why didn't somebody record The Piano Man, surreptitiously or openly?

This 20-yr old enigmatic, non-cooperative, mute (publicity-seeking?) pseudo
pianist was found soaking wet by British Police one night last April, and,
with nobody here having knowledge of his real name and origins (clothes
labels had been removed and he had no docs), received care in Kent hospitals
and nut-houses for 19 weeks, yet just spent much time tinkling the ivories
regularly (some who heard him said he was a concert-level virtuoso), often
for as many as four hours - his intriguing story fed many agencies on the
Internet, with loads of false leads, until he was eventually recognised by
the German Foreign Ministry to tie up with a Bavarian musician reported
missing; after that equation he was discharged chop chop, and journeyed back
[and got debunked as a poor pianist anyhow].
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4172662.stm
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...cnn_topstories
Hopefully the Health Service will recoup successfully over £40,000
psychiatric and accommodation costs from him or from his community area.
If only, during his stay, someone HAD recorded him and networked some of
it, we could have decided how good or bad a musician he is.

philicorda

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:26:03 +0000, Jim Gregory wrote:

Hopefully the Health Service will recoup successfully over £40,000
psychiatric and accommodation costs from him or from his community area.
If only, during his stay, someone HAD recorded him and networked some of
it, we could have decided how good or bad a musician he is.

I saw him referred to as a fraud in a couple of places, which I thought a
little sad.
The demands of stories mean he couldn't just be an average pianist, he had
to be a mysterious genius. The guy was probably just feeling terrible and
wanted to relax a little by playing some tunes. Works for me when I'm
feeling low.

hank alrich

nap wrote:

turns out he was using the piano to try and fake his mental illness... I
hear he simply played the same note over and over.

Might've been channeling Phillip Glass.

--
ha

Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Mbox for occasional chamber music recordings? Martin Pro Audio 12 April 12th 05 08:32 AM
Micing Concert Grand Piano Spike Pro Audio 58 March 16th 05 04:41 PM
Recording Piano- PDF available on request kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 2 February 15th 05 05:32 PM