thadjanus

Default md 421 cracked body..

Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
make it a bit more stable (longer term).
thanks,
brian

Scott Dorsey

thadjanus wrote:
Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
make it a bit more stable (longer term).

Just call Sennheiser and order a new body casting. You're going to
have to desolder the connector assembly and then solder it back in again
to put it back together, but it's not a big deal.
psalter

I vote for putting it back together using an epoxy. To keep the glue
work as clean as possible you may have to be patient and repair one
piece at a time until Humpty is back together again. I've never
opened my 421, and they don't need pin one connected for phantom power,
but I would have guessed there should be three wires attached to the
xlr connector. See any loose wires in there? Maybe someone knows
different.

Gareth Magennis

"psalter" wrote in message
oups.com...
I vote for putting it back together using an epoxy. To keep the glue
work as clean as possible you may have to be patient and repair one
piece at a time until Humpty is back together again. I've never
opened my 421, and they don't need pin one connected for phantom power,
but I would have guessed there should be three wires attached to the
xlr connector. See any loose wires in there? Maybe someone knows
different.

There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is not
connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the XLR
housing.

Gareth.

Phil Allison

"Gareth Magennis"

There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is
not connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the
XLR housing.

** Not true.

All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double duty
as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds the
screw.

........ Phil

Gareth Magennis

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"

There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is
not connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the
XLR housing.

** Not true.

All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
the screw.

....... Phil

Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
connection to XLR socket body was broken.

There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch pcb
and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
capsule.

Gareth.

Phil Allison

"Gareth Magennis"
"Phil Allison"

** Not true.

All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
the screw.

Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
connection to XLR socket body was broken.

There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch
pcb and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
capsule.

** I'll forgive you - just this once, mind ;-)

.......... Phil

Gareth Magennis

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"
"Phil Allison"

** Not true.

All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
the screw.

Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
connection to XLR socket body was broken.

There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch
pcb and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
capsule.

** I'll forgive you - just this once, mind ;-)

......... Phil

Very gracious of you Phil. Hope you like my improved newsgroup etiquette.
Thanks ;-)

Gareth.

Rob Reedijk

thadjanus wrote:
Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
make it a bit more stable (longer term).
thanks,
brian

I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.

Rob R.

Dave O'Heare

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
thadjanus wrote:

I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.

Rob R.

I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.

Does anybody have a use for them?

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Scott Dorsey

thadjanus wrote:

I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.

Rob R.

I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.

Does anybody have a use for them?

This happens when the voice coil comes apart from the diaphragm. It
really isn't repairable... the element is design for the diaphragm
assembly to be easily replaced, but Sennheiser won't sell you replacements.

My suggestion is that you repair the mike... because you can't really
get new 421s any more, just the Mk. II models. And you can still get
the replacement elements for the original mikes.
Rob Reedijk

thadjanus wrote:

[...]

In the case of mine, I seem to remember that it was completely dead---
no sound at all.

I once managed to repair another one when the humbucking coil that sits
in front of the capsule had detached and it was simply a matter of
reconnecting the winding.

Is it possible that there might be another loose connection on my
non working one, deeper into the capsule module?

Rob R.
Scott Dorsey

Rob Reedijk wrote:

I once managed to repair another one when the humbucking coil that sits
in front of the capsule had detached and it was simply a matter of
reconnecting the winding.

Is it possible that there might be another loose connection on my
non working one, deeper into the capsule module?

It's possible, but it doesn't get very deep. The problem is that if
the coil is damaged, you can't get a replacement. I've had no luck
trying to wind replacements myself, either although in theory you should
be able to on a coil form.

Funny story about tubes [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 1 December 20th 04 06:00 PM
Bigger Than My Body Sir Pro Audio 4 September 5th 04 08:44 PM
People Searching For Jarl Sigurd's Body Of Work and Comparing Him To Zappa? Isaac Pro Audio 3 November 18th 03 12:40 AM