The Realm

Default AEA R88 vs Royer SF-12 for drum ohs????

I am looking into buying one of these stereo mics for drum OHs.

I am wondering if anyone has heard a comparison of the two for this
application and what your opinions are....i mostly do rock music...

thanks
Scott Dorsey

The Realm wrote:
I am looking into buying one of these stereo mics for drum OHs.

I am wondering if anyone has heard a comparison of the two for this
application and what your opinions are....i mostly do rock music...

I don't think I'd pick either. Why do you want this? Are you trying
to soften cymbal sounds?
Benjamin Maas

I use the Royer SF-24 (the active stereo mic) on drums and I've used the
Royer 122's for overheads on many occasions. They give you a sound that is
definitely a "character" kind of sound. For some kits and styles of music,
you'll likely LOVE it. For others, not so much. I don't have much
experience with AEA's mics.

In any case, I'll often add a bit of top end to help the cymbal sound. They
are ultra-smooth mics and the top end is usually a bit lacking (as compared
to comparable quality condensers), but they can be fantastic microphones in
the right situation.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

please remove "nospam" upon reply
"The Realm" wrote in message
I am looking into buying one of these stereo mics for drum OHs.

I am wondering if anyone has heard a comparison of the two for this
application and what your opinions are....i mostly do rock music...

thanks

Royer 122 phase question playon Pro Audio 14 September 29th 04 06:04 PM
Royer 122 phase question playon Pro Audio 0 September 28th 04 07:36 PM
Matching Royer Steve Pro Audio 3 February 19th 04 08:48 PM
Royer R-121 Questions Answered BoogieMotel Pro Audio 0 December 19th 03 05:21 AM
Royer SF-12 & Side Rejection David Satz Pro Audio 2 December 10th 03 11:10 PM