nag champa

Default Mic Pre recommendations

I'm about to start an album project with a great
singer/songwriter/acoustic guitarist in the Dave Matthews vein. We'll
be doing some acoustic stuff and some band things as well. For his
vocals, I'd like to get one more mic pre for a different flavor, and
I'd like some opinions.

I have a Tracy Korby Empyrean (U47 voiced), a Korby modified AKG "The
Tube" with an original C12 capsule, an AT 4050, an RCA BK-5B, and a few
other mics. I also have a pair of Calrec PQ15 pres, an Aphex tube pre
which is nothing special, and a Cranesong Trakker for front end. The
Calrecs are great, but they really have an edgy, aggressive flavor, and
I'd like something that has more fidelity and detail and sounds really
sweet and smooth for the intimate vocal stuff and some of the acoustic
guitar.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim

Scott Dorsey

nag champa wrote:
I'm about to start an album project with a great
singer/songwriter/acoustic guitarist in the Dave Matthews vein. We'll
be doing some acoustic stuff and some band things as well. For his
vocals, I'd like to get one more mic pre for a different flavor, and
I'd like some opinions.

I have a Tracy Korby Empyrean (U47 voiced), a Korby modified AKG "The
Tube" with an original C12 capsule, an AT 4050, an RCA BK-5B, and a few
other mics. I also have a pair of Calrec PQ15 pres, an Aphex tube pre
which is nothing special, and a Cranesong Trakker for front end. The
Calrecs are great, but they really have an edgy, aggressive flavor, and
I'd like something that has more fidelity and detail and sounds really
sweet and smooth for the intimate vocal stuff and some of the acoustic
guitar.

Any recommendations?

The original Great River (not the NV version). The John Hardy preamps.
Maybe even the Millennia Media (although you won't like what they do
on the BK-5). Nothing has more clean detail to my ears than the Millennia.
The Great River and John Hardy come close, and present a load that dynamic
and ribbon mikes may like more.

Ty Ford

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:53:43 -0400, nag champa wrote
(in article .com):

[...]

GML, Aphex 1100, Millennia Media STT-1.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

hank alrich

nag champa wrote:

I'd like something that has more fidelity and detail and sounds really
sweet and smooth for the intimate vocal stuff and some of the acoustic
guitar.

Great River MP2-MH, or MP2-NV, and EQ2-NV. Just killer sweet and clear.

--
ha