Default how to transfer data from DAT (digital audio tape) to hard drive

I have some audio that I have recorded on DAT media using a Sony PCM-M1
Digital Audio Tape (DAT) and an external microphone. I would like to
transfer these files over to my PC harddrive. The only way that I can
do this is to re-play the tape into my computer using the microphone
port. Is there a way to transfer the files over directly?

KGT

If this is non critical speech you can go the sound card line input
analog transfer route. If you need quality
I would seek out a studio to do it for you. Otherwise you're in for
some S/PDIF interface purchases & experiments.

Kevin T

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
wrote:
I have some audio that I have recorded on DAT media using a Sony PCM-M1
Digital Audio Tape (DAT) and an external microphone. I would like to
transfer these files over to my PC harddrive. The only way that I can
do this is to re-play the tape into my computer using the microphone
port. Is there a way to transfer the files over directly?

Sure. You can get an S-PDIF card for your PC and use a DAT machine with
an S-PDIF port to play them digitally into the computer.

The M1 can be set up to have an S-PDIF output if you use an overpriced
and unreliable special cord. Oade Brothers might still have them in
stock.

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I have some audio that I have recorded on DAT media using a Sony PCM-M1
Digital Audio Tape (DAT) and an external microphone. I would like to
transfer these files over to my PC harddrive.

There are no files on a DAT tape, at least not in the same sense as
computer files. You can, however, transfer the RECORDINGS.

The only way that I can
do this is to re-play the tape into my computer using the microphone
port. Is there a way to transfer the files over directly?

THat's about as direct as you're going to get, except that the
"microphone port" on every computer is about as low quality audio
garbage as you'll find, plus you're probably overloading it. Does your
computer have a line input jack? At least use that and give the audio
that's there a half a chance. A better sound card will make a better
transfer, but no matter what you do, it will be in real time.

The PCM-M1 has a digital port, but it's weird. Even if you had (or
bought, or borrowed) a sound card with a digital input, you'll nedd a
hard-to-find adapter cable to get the digital audio stream out of the
M1, and you'll still be making a real time transfer.

If your computer doesn't have a line input, find someone who has a
better setup than you, lend them the tape and player if they don't
have anything to play a DAT on, and get it transferred. If this is a
large project, like you have several cartons of DAT tape, then it's
worth investing in new hardware yourself.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

CeeDub

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some audio that I have recorded on DAT media using a Sony PCM-M1
Digital Audio Tape (DAT) and an external microphone. I would like to
transfer these files over to my PC harddrive. The only way that I can
do this is to re-play the tape into my computer using the microphone
port. Is there a way to transfer the files over directly?

Even a lowly Soundblaster Live! can be set up to transfer from a DAT in the
digital domain via either SPDIF or AES/EBU. If you don't have the LiveDrive,
you can pick up a daughter card from Hoontech for digital transfers. There
are numerous other options with higher end sound cards, and I believe Edirol
has a USB unit that will do this. Yes, the UA-1EX and UA-1X both support
SPDIF I/O over USB 1.2. These would probably be the easiest way to do this
in the digital domain, maintaining the fidelity to the level of your DAT's
AD converters.

Craig

Thanks, everyone for the detailed and helpful responses. We don't
actually have a large amount of DAT recordings yet, but are trying to
formulate a good workflow for the digital transfer in anticipation of
future recordings. Your suggestions have been most useful!

-- jeet

KGT

Yes

Way back before much else was available I used Hootech daughter boards
via ( Coresound cable ) to extract 16bit digtal field audio from Datman
uinits into Soundblaster ( pre live) PCI cards on win 98 PCs.

Kevin T

James Perrett

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:13:57 -0500, Gordon Gidluck
wrote:

If you don't mind booting up to 16-bit dos for recording you should be
ok. That card was happier in a single tasking OS, but under Win95 some
pci based video cards caused channel swapping.

Under Win95 it would work in some computers flawlessly, and then others
were plagued by this channel swapping problem. Running under DOS, as I
recall it was quite problem free.

Gordon

I have a Zefiro ZA2 working happily under Win98SE. There were also WinNT
drivers so I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone was running one
under XP.

Unfortunately it only supported cue sheet writing under DOS.

Cheers.

James.