Mike Rivers

Default Unplanned Obsolescence

If you've been following my Firewire woes, this evening, I got The
Final Answer in a phone call (no less!) from a Dell tech support
supervisor.

The setup:

Dell Inspiron 2650 computer (no Firewire port, USB 1.1 only)
PCMCIA slot with PCMCIA Firewire adapter
Disk drive in a Firewire enclosure.

I've been using the computer with the PCMCIA Firewire adapter to
record stereo from a Mackie Onyx mixer with pretty good success. I
wanted to experiment with the rig for live multitrack recording, and
for that I needed more disk space than the internal drive, and I
figured that a faster drive would be desirable. It seemed like
Firewire would be a good approach.

After trying four or five different Firewire cases and a couple of
different PCMCIA adapters and not being able to access the drive, I
started writing to the tech supports - Mad Dog (the current drive
case), Adaptec (the current PCMCIA Firewire adapter) and Dell. I got
the usual runaround, essentially "try something else." Obviously the
adapter works since it works with the Onyx audio interface and also
with my Jukebox 3. The drive works. I took it to a different computer
(thanks to my friendly used computer store) with a real Firewire port
and it works there. The drive case also has a USB port, and that works
when connected to my computer.

Dell's final answer was that the motherboard design is "old" and isn't
intended to support Firewire through the PCMCIA slot. The fact that
something works, I guess, is just incidental. Interestingly, he said
that if my computer was under service contract, they could replace the
motherboard but that it wouldn't be worth paying for it as a repair. I
didn't expect the warranty to cover failure due to obsolescence, but I
guess it might be a good thing to consider if I ever buy another Dell
computer.

Anyway, just for kicks, this evening I connected the drive to the
computer through the USB1.1 port, cranked up the rig, and let it run
for an hour recording four stereo tracks of tone at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.
I was surprised that it didn't choke completely (I didn't bother to
try to calculate the required throughput - Arny???? You're good at
that stuff) and I didn't see any obvious glitches with an eyeball on
the waveforms. I'm running them, a pair at a time, through Wave Repair
now to let it count glitches. It's 80% though the first file with 8
"clicks" counted. But they may not be significant.

Anyway, while I'm bummed that I can't use Firewire to connect the disk
drive, it looks like at least for a modest project, USB1.1 might work
OK.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
reddred

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Dell's final answer was that the motherboard design is "old" and isn't
intended to support Firewire through the PCMCIA slot.

How old is the PC? PCMCIA supports IEEE 1394 only in the newest revision,
which seems like it was a few years ago. Is your laptop from the 90's?

Anyway, while I'm bummed that I can't use Firewire to connect the disk
drive, it looks like at least for a modest project, USB1.1 might work
OK.

I think USB 1 has an unwritten '2 tracks at a time' rule.

jb

Carl Valle

Dell's final answer was that the motherboard design is "old" and isn't
intended to support Firewire through the PCMCIA slot.

How old is the PC? PCMCIA supports IEEE 1394 only in the newest revision,
which seems like it was a few years ago. Is your laptop from the 90's?

Anyway, while I'm bummed that I can't use Firewire to connect the disk
drive, it looks like at least for a modest project, USB1.1 might work
OK.

I think USB 1 has an unwritten '2 tracks at a time' rule.

jb

too bad you can't use usb 2 wich is faster than fwire

dkid

I am surprized you would say 16 clicks per track times 4 is OK for any
project. I'm looking for a portable rig that can handle at least 10
inputs at 24 bits w/o any glitches. That may be too much to ask but
I'm asking anyway.

Lorin David Schultz

"Carl Valle" wrote:

too bad you can't use usb 2 wich is faster than fwire

Not for audio. USB2 has a higher peak rate, but Firewire has better
sustained rate.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

dkid

How is the HDR24/96 for latency?

(but it's limited to 44.1/48 kHz sample
rate, without using external A/D converters and cutting the track
count in half).

Yet it's Model # is "24/96", which at least stongly implies 96kHz
sample rate.

Have you heard of any Notebooks PC or Mac that can do what the Mackie
does?
Dkid

Jake Saliba

How old is the PC? PCMCIA supports IEEE 1394 only in the newest revision,
which seems like it was a few years ago. Is your laptop from the 90's?

please dont be too hard on me for asking a dumb question, but is IEEE
1394 the technical name for firewire? i see this connection on my dell
inspiron 5150. i just wanna hit myself upside the head for not
thinking about that earlier.

jake

David Grant

please dont be too hard on me for asking a dumb question, but is IEEE
1394 the technical name for firewire? i see this connection on my dell
inspiron 5150. i just wanna hit myself upside the head for not
thinking about that earlier.

jake

Take it easy on that noggin' but yeah 1394 is firewire

Matt Ion

Dell's final answer was that the motherboard design is "old" and isn't
intended to support Firewire through the PCMCIA slot.

How old is the PC? PCMCIA supports IEEE 1394 only in the newest revision,
which seems like it was a few years ago. Is your laptop from the 90's?

Anyway, while I'm bummed that I can't use Firewire to connect the disk
drive, it looks like at least for a modest project, USB1.1 might work
OK.

I think USB 1 has an unwritten '2 tracks at a time' rule.

jb

too bad you can't use usb 2 wich is faster than fwire

How about a USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 10:48:50 AM

Matt Ion

Mike Rivers wrote:

Anyway, just for kicks, this evening I connected the drive to the
computer through the USB1.1 port, cranked up the rig, and let it run
for an hour recording four stereo tracks of tone at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.
I was surprised that it didn't choke completely (I didn't bother to
try to calculate the required throughput - Arny???? You're good at
that stuff) and I didn't see any obvious glitches with an eyeball on
the waveforms. I'm running them, a pair at a time, through Wave Repair
now to let it count glitches. It's 80% though the first file with 8
"clicks" counted. But they may not be significant.

16 bits times 44,100 samples per second gives you 705.6kbits per channel
per second (not accounting for any kind of sample overhead or anything).
Since USB 1.1 is rated at 12Mbit/s throughput, that gives you up to 17
channels' worth of audio THEORETICALLY. Not that you'll get anywhere
near that at a sustained level in normal use, but four channels (at
about 2.8Mbit) shouldn't be a problem.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 10:55:45 AM

Kurt Albershardt

dkid wrote:

I'm looking for a portable rig that can handle at least 10
inputs at 24 bits w/o any glitches. That may be too much to ask but
I'm asking anyway.

RME Fireface 800 will do that
http://rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm
drichard

Hi Mike,

If you decide to get a new computer, and you don't need battery
operation, you might consider getting a desktop computer instead of a
laptop. You can put together a computer in a small desktop case pretty
cheaply, then add an LCD monitor. It will cost less than a laptop, have
more functionality and expandability, and only be slightly less
portable.

Just a thought.

Dean

Matt Ion

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article .com writes:

If you decide to get a new computer, and you don't need battery
operation, you might consider getting a desktop computer instead of a
laptop. You can put together a computer in a small desktop case pretty
cheaply, then add an LCD monitor. It will cost less than a laptop, have
more functionality and expandability, and only be slightly less
portable.

I need a real portable computer to do real portable computer work,
too. I suppose that I could make up something like what you suggest,
but at least for some trips, I'd end up taking the laptop, too.

Understand that this isn't a "must have" for me. I'm just trying to
see what I can do with what I have laying around, or can augment with
a small investment.

Here's something to check out:
http://www.shuttle.com/ (or direct to
http://sys.us.shuttle.com/ for complete systems)

These are small cube-style cased PCs that combined with an LCD monitor,
provide a very portable solution. We use them to build
video-surveillance DVRs and they work great. For around CDN$300 we can
get a basic case/mainboard/cooler package that includes two onboard EIDE
or SATA channels, AC97 5.1 audio with optical I/O, video, LAN, etc.,
plus multiple firewire and USB 2.0 ports, front-panel USB and audio
ports... add a CPU and drives and away you go.

The ones we use have a single floppy bay, a single HDD bay, and a single
CD-ROM bay, one AGP and one PCI slot, but that's already more than most
laptops provide, and they are available with more bays and slots.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 6:19:05 PM

Geoff@work

"Carl Valle" wrote in message news:e7AKe.1488

too bad you can't use usb 2 wich is faster than fwire

Faster bit raw bit rate, but not faster in real use. Slower.

geoff

John O

is IEEE 1394 the technical name for firewire? i see this
connection on my dell inspiron 5150.

Yes, that's the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
(IEEE) standard number that defines the interface. Firewire is, I
believe, and Apple or Sony (or joint) name. Toshiba calls it something
else.

Apple developed the standard with support from Sony and some others. They
attempted to get $1 per port royalties from Sony and everyone else when Sony
started putting iLink (Sony's trademarked name) ports on their camcorders,
but Sony told Apple to go pound sand. Good thing, because it would likely be
a proprietary interface otherwise. (Jobs is sometimes a big idiot)

-John O

John O

Is there something in the current 1394 part of the PCMCIA spec that
addresses data transfer to disks that may not have been included in an
earlier version?

Some PC Card slots (PCMCIA is old terminology :-)) were not 'cardbus'
compatible, which IIRC was a wide and fast transfer through the PCI
subsystem, or even DMA. The older cards were much slower. It could be that
certain Dell notebooks didn't have cardbus slots, meaning you couldn't get
anything near 1394-possible transfer speeds.

-John O

Mike Rocha

Mike Rivers wrote:
If you've been following my Firewire woes, this evening, I got The
Final Answer in a phone call (no less!) from a Dell tech support
supervisor.

*snip*

After trying four or five different Firewire cases and a couple of
different PCMCIA adapters and not being able to access the drive, I
started writing to the tech supports - Mad Dog (the current drive
case), Adaptec (the current PCMCIA Firewire adapter) and Dell. I got
the usual runaround, essentially "try something else."

*mega-snip*

Hey Mike,

One thing that i've come across consistently is that the chipset of the
case's enclosure is vital to proper performance of drives, especially
firewire drives for PC's it seems. The fastest chipset that i know of is
the Oxford 911 chipset. In the past it provided the fastest FW
throughput and i believe it still does. Look for a case that has this
chipset. It is essentially the translator of FireWire to IDE.

Have you tried a different case? I would certainly try that before you
get a new computer/motherboard. Bytecc makes a great one, the "ME-740F".
It's listed for about 50 bucks in Toronto.

Have you tried a different PCMCIA card? Also with firewire cards, look
for Texas Instruments or Lucent chipsets onboard. Generally highers quality.

Roach