a.m.

Default How do these Pendulum mic pres stack up?

This thing was designed as a stereo acoustic instrument pre-amp and does a
mighty fine job of it but I was wondering how the mic pres stacked up
against other pres if treated specifically as dual mono mic pres? Anything
to compare it to? I recently came into posession of one & was wondering if
the dedicated mic pre angle was worth pursuing. At the current moment I
don't have the gear to investigate for myself is why I'm asking. TIA

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

--
http://tinyurl.com/dvgrd

Steve Scott

Sure I've owned an SPS-1 for a while, and often used it as a mic pre in
a live setup. Having the integral EQ is really useful there as well.

It is a typically brilliant Greg Gualtieri design that is of course
optimized for acoustic guitar. Has a somewhat "soft" tone, with a bit
of subtle texture. But it still has clarity and presence. IMO these
characteristics work well with microphones in addition to the pickup DI
modules.

Not a lot of gain (50 dB I think) but usually enough. High output mics
can overload the inputs though, you may need to adjust the trims on the
rear panel, or maybe use mic pads.

It's a fairly unique sound in my experience. In the studio I've
compared it lots of times to Focusrite ISA, Midas/K-T, Grace, Speck,
Gordon, A Designs, etc. and often found a place where it would do
things the others wouldn't, in a good way. Mainly for recording
acoustic strings, but occasionally for vocals. However, it was rarely
my top pick given I had other more robust choices.

Oh and it also works pretty well as a guitar pickup preamp

Steve

Steve Scott

Hey Andy, I just realized that was you... we used to discuss a little
on RMMGA, but I haven't been there much lately. I did see your post
there on this SPS though, you lucky dog

You're welcome on the opinion, but with your talent I'm sure you won't
need my 2 cents, you'll do great with the Pendulum.

Steve

hank alrich

a.m. wrote:

This thing was designed as a stereo acoustic instrument pre-amp and does a
mighty fine job of it but I was wondering how the mic pres stacked up
against other pres if treated specifically as dual mono mic pres? Anything
to compare it to? I recently came into posession of one & was wondering if
the dedicated mic pre angle was worth pursuing. At the current moment I
don't have the gear to investigate for myself is why I'm asking. TIA

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

Shoot, give 'em a try and decide what you think. Pendulum makes some
seriously good kit, including fine mic pres, so don't be bashful.

Or send it to me for a while and I'll tell ya what I think of it. g

--
ha
a.m.

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hey I appreciate that reply. Thanks!

a.m.

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
a.m. wrote:

This thing was designed as a stereo acoustic instrument pre-amp and does

mighty fine job of it but I was wondering how the mic pres stacked up
against other pres if treated specifically as dual mono mic pres?

Anything
to compare it to? I recently came into posession of one & was wondering

if
the dedicated mic pre angle was worth pursuing. At the current moment I
don't have the gear to investigate for myself is why I'm asking. TIA

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

Shoot, give 'em a try and decide what you think. Pendulum makes some
seriously good kit, including fine mic pres, so don't be bashful.

I'm gonna do just that tomorrow. Actually last night I stuck a 57 on my
Matchless Lightning & listened to the headphone out on the SPS-1 & it
sounded pretty darn nice. It's a cool piece, has lots of ins & outs and
things.

Or send it to me for a while and I'll tell ya what I think of it. g

Some of your ideas are real good, some aren't as...g