Default What is the difference between the various types of CD-Rs (Data, Audo, Multi-purpose)

Whats the fidderence bewteen teh various types of CR-Rs such as Data,
Audio, Multi-purpose.
DVD-R are a different story - higher capacity and transfer rate.

For storing photos, wouldnt any CD-R be appropriate?
What special about CD-R multi-purpose vs data?

Pooh Bear

" wrote:

Whats the fidderence bewteen teh various types of CR-Rs such as Data,
Audio, Multi-purpose.
DVD-R are a different story - higher capacity and transfer rate.

For storing photos, wouldnt any CD-R be appropriate?
What special about CD-R multi-purpose vs data?

'Recordable audio CDs' are different to computer CD-Rs. Other than that
the CD-R 'format' is determined by the writing software.

Graham

Paul Stamler

wrote in message
ups.com...
Whats the fidderence bewteen teh various types of CR-Rs such as Data,
Audio, Multi-purpose.
DVD-R are a different story - higher capacity and transfer rate.

For storing photos, wouldnt any CD-R be appropriate?
What special about CD-R multi-purpose vs data?

Audio CDs have special coding on them that enables them to work in
consumer-grade CD recorders; a special tax is levied on them thanks to the
efforts of the RIAA to protect the interests of suffering artists (pause for
belly-laugh). The special coding and tax aren't present in data CD-Rs. I'm
not familiar with "multi-purpose" CD-Rs.

From a technical point of view, audio and data discs are the same, at least
if they're made by the same manufacturer. The difference is what they'll
work in.

Peace,
Paul

Bob Olhsson

Paul Stamler wrote:

Audio CDs have special coding on them that enables them to work in
consumer-grade CD recorders; a special tax is levied on them thanks to the
efforts of the RIAA to protect the interests of suffering artists (pause for
belly-laugh). The special coding and tax aren't present in data CD-Rs. I'm
not familiar with "multi-purpose" CD-Rs.

The "tax" is something like a quarter of a cent.

Manufacturers have begun labeling audio disks "multi-purpose" because
people think they are paying a bunch extra for the audio endorsement.
This is because many scumbags used to gouge people on audio disks and
blame the higher retail price on the RIAA.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Scott Dorsey

Bob Olhsson wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

Audio CDs have special coding on them that enables them to work in
consumer-grade CD recorders; a special tax is levied on them thanks to the
efforts of the RIAA to protect the interests of suffering artists (pause for
belly-laugh). The special coding and tax aren't present in data CD-Rs. I'm
not familiar with "multi-purpose" CD-Rs.

The "tax" is something like a quarter of a cent.

Manufacturers have begun labeling audio disks "multi-purpose" because
people think they are paying a bunch extra for the audio endorsement.
This is because many scumbags used to gouge people on audio disks and
blame the higher retail price on the RIAA.

As an RIAA member, I can say that I am sure not getting any of this kickback.
How can I get in on the financial action?

Scott Dorsey

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

I have never seen anything marked "multi-purpose" here, but then I
mostly buy crates of Mitsuis.

Can you still get them? Or do you mean MAM-As?

I don't know. A year ago I got 2,000 of the things and it'll be a while
before I finish them up.

I have not tried the MAM-A, or the newer TY ones either.