beauchampy

Default Performance of PT on notebooks

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-B1XP (1.7ghz Centrino, 512mb ram, 5400rpm 60gb hard
drive).
I've been running Pro Tools 6.9, and have been very pleased that sessions
which have pushed my 3.0ghz P4 to the limit also play on this machine,
although it takes a 20 seconds of waiting between pressing space and
playback on PT actually starting. During this time the hard drive light (on
the laptop) goes a bit crazy - even if I'm running the session from my
firewire 400 drive.
These sessions are usually up to 30 tracks of audio, probably as much as 8
aux inputs, and as many as 10-15 real time plugins (compressors, eq's,
reverbs - mostly waves bundle).

If I start a new session and use rewire applications such as reason and
ableton live. They do not pose too many problems, they work smoothly.
If I start using a plugin such as Sampletank XL or Kontak 2, the amount of
waiting and hard drive light blinkage is ridiculous and renders the plugins
& PT pratically useless...

I'm thinking about putting in another 512mb stick of ram, and maybe even
swapping the hard drive for a 2.5" IBM 7200rpm drive.

Anyone else experience difficulties with performance with their laptop and
using Pro Tools? Anyone tried a faster disk?

I thought my performance problems would be solved using the external disk
but I still see alot of blinking going on with the internal disk when
playing back a session.

I've done a few usual tricks such as turning off many of the visulisation
features in windows, although I'm sure there are a few more tweaks I could
try.

Any ideas?

Beauchampy