BIG_DOOR_6

Default new to NG - need opinions on mini-system

If there's a more appropriate NG for this, please let me know ...
-------------------
Okay, okay, i'm not an audiophile, or at least, not anymore. I've been
without any stereo but a computer and speakers/woofer for a while now, since
i got divorced and left behind my old Marantz amp/component
system/turntable, etc.

For now, i want to buy a so-called compact or mini-system (is that even the
right terminology?) as i understand they've improved in quality since i used
to hate even the concept of them ten years ago. But i need something that
takes up very little room, and for now i don't care about serious audiophile
quality.

I need a turntable with it, or if there's no such thing as a decent
turntable with these mini-systems, then i need one that takes turntable
input. I need a good quality dubbing deck as part of it, and i definitely
need at least one set of stereo line-outs, and at least one set of aux
stereo line-ins (for TV, computer sound out, or a third cassette deck).

Cost is somewhat of a concern as well as size, but i'd like to know how much
i'd pay in the United States for these features primarily, then sacrifice
from there if i need too. Still, if i could get what i need for less than
$350 i'd be happy. I'd reluctantly spend up to about $500 if i had to, but
probably no more than that under any circumstances.

Also wondering where the place to find any recommended products will be -
internet, corporate ugliness like WalMart and Best Buy , or chain
electronics stores such as Rex Appliances (which i think is a locally-owned
franchise, i'm not sure). Any help *greatly* appreciated!

-Steve

Joseph Oberlander

BIG_DOOR_6 wrote:
If there's a more appropriate NG for this, please let me know ...

Gosh. An actual non-troll audio related post.

Okay, okay, i'm not an audiophile, or at least, not anymore. I've been
without any stereo but a computer and speakers/woofer for a while now, since
i got divorced and left behind my old Marantz amp/component
system/turntable, etc.

Yeah - that sort of thing happens. For me, it was the Northridge
earthquake back in 1993. Smashed nearly everything I owned.

For now, i want to buy a so-called compact or mini-system (is that even the
right terminology?) as i understand they've improved in quality since i used
to hate even the concept of them ten years ago. But i need something that
takes up very little room, and for now i don't care about serious audiophile
quality.

Plenty of choices here.

I need a turntable with it, or if there's no such thing as a decent
turntable with these mini-systems, then i need one that takes turntable
input. I need a good quality dubbing deck as part of it, and i definitely
need at least one set of stereo line-outs, and at least one set of aux
stereo line-ins (for TV, computer sound out, or a third cassette deck).

Check. Most don't have phono inputs anymore, though a simple
phono preamp/EQ box is a good solution. This will allow you to
use the same table/Phono preamp combo with anything in the future.

Cost is somewhat of a concern as well as size, but i'd like to know how much
i'd pay in the United States for these features primarily, then sacrifice
from there if i need too. Still, if i could get what i need for less than
$350 i'd be happy. I'd reluctantly spend up to about $500 if i had to, but
probably no more than that under any circumstances.

Rough. How important is that turntable? It's going to eat into your
budget quite a bit.

Daniel

I would not buy a mini-system.

I would instead buy used equipment: a pair of Paradigm Atoms, and a
receiver (or integrated amp) and CD player by NAD or Kyocera. In your
price range, the NAD amp or receiver is likely to be old enough to
have a phono section, and all Kyoceras will have a phono section.

Other people like used equipment by Marantz and Luxman, but I've never
heard those myself.

Look on eBay or audiogon.com.

"BIG_DOOR_6" wrote in message gy.com...
[...]

George Mann

[posted and mailed]

"BIG_DOOR_6" wrote in
y.com:

[...]

There's a Sony minisystem on sale for $94.99 at Circuit City. It sounds
every bit as good as the hi-end solid state equipment that I have had.
The speakers even have real wood cabinets.
Kalman Rubinson

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:40:43 -0000, George Mann
wrote:

There's a Sony minisystem on sale for $94.99 at Circuit City. It sounds
every bit as good as the hi-end solid state equipment that I have had.
The speakers even have real wood cabinets.

Ho ho ho.

I suggest the Denon DM-31 minisystem which does all except for phono.
Decent and smooth sound for about $350. You can add a turntable and a
phono preamp easily.

Kal

George Mann

[posted and mailed]

"BIG_DOOR_6" wrote in
:

All interesting advice, and i'll look into all four ... Thanks for the
input. As far as turntable wonder how much i'd expect to pay for a
reasonable one? Is there a choice anymore between belt and direct
drive or are they all the same. Do any have preamps built in?

And finally, if i need to get a preamp, where's the best place to go?
It seems like before i lost my setup i'd looked for one in order to
copy some of my albums to cd via my computer and had a hard time
finding a preamp except for one at RadioShack, which seemed kind of
flaky to me, but then i never really got going on my vinyl transfer
project.

-Steve

The Rat-Shack is a decent sounding unit for the money. I had one for
years, and it looks like I'll be buying another.
Bruce J. Richman

BIG DOOR 6 wrote:

All interesting advice, and i'll look into all four ... Thanks for the
input. As far as turntable wonder how much i'd expect to pay for a
reasonable one? Is there a choice anymore between belt and direct drive or
are they all the same. Do any have preamps built in?

Very decent turntables (belt drive) can be found new for approximately $ 300,
including tonearm and sometimes cartridge as well from companies like Project
and Music Hall. You might want to take a look at the Audio Advisor website
(www.audioadvisor.com) to get some ideas about relatively low-cost turntables
and cartridges.

Most turntables do not have built in phono preamplifiers. However, some
integrated amplkifiers do, or alternatively, they can be found from
manufacturers like Creek and others at a wide range of prices.

And finally, if i need to get a preamp, where's the best place to go? It
seems like before i lost my setup i'd looked for one in order to copy some
of my albums to cd via my computer and had a hard time finding a preamp
except for one at RadioShack, which seemed kind of flaky to me, but then i
never really got going on my vinyl transfer project.

I would suggest checking out the websites of companies like NeedleDoctor
(www.needledoctor.com) and AudioAdvisor (see above) for fairly comprehensive
listings of various brands.

-Steve

Bruce J. Richman

Opinions on a sound system Car Audio 3 July 5th 04 06:14 PM
Athena Point 5 System Opinions Patrick Castelvecchi General 1 January 9th 04 05:51 PM
Tech. Doc. needed JBL system in Peugeot 406 Coupe Okkie Car Audio 0 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM
Buying a new system just want some opinions. -E-F-F-E-N-D-I- Car Audio 1 July 16th 03 09:46 PM