Malachi

Default Recommendations for 8ch AD converter?

I'm looking for a unit to pair with my Digi002r that does eight channels of
AD conversion and sends it to the optical input on the Digi.

I'd prefer a unit under the $1500.00 range....

A good example of what I'm looking for would have been the Swissonic AD24,
but lately these units seem to be harder to get than a straight answer from
a politician.

Something better than the Behringer but not as expensive as the Apogee...

Or am I looking for hen's teeth?

malachi

studiorat

Hi,
I use an 8 channel Panasonic/Ramsa AD called a WZ-AD96, it works well
for me. Maybe you could get your hands on an AKAI DR-16 Pro (the 24bit
model) with Adat cards installed in makes a really great AD and DA
converter.
DS

Scott Dorsey

Malachi wrote:
I'm looking for a unit to pair with my Digi002r that does eight channels of
AD conversion and sends it to the optical input on the Digi.

I'd prefer a unit under the $1500.00 range....

A good example of what I'm looking for would have been the Swissonic AD24,
but lately these units seem to be harder to get than a straight answer from
a politician.

Something better than the Behringer but not as expensive as the Apogee...

Or am I looking for hen's teeth?

RME ADI-8 is inexpensive and sounds pretty decent. Jim at Audio Upgrades
can clean the front end up for a few dollars more.

Joe Sanborn

You can find a used Apogee AD16 for under $1500. Its a great unit with
lightpipe outputs and is ready for 16 channels if you expand.
I own one and love it. I use it with a Digi HD 192 digital I/O through it's
AES output.

"Malachi" wrote in message
m...
I'm looking for a unit to pair with my Digi002r that does eight channels

of
AD conversion and sends it to the optical input on the Digi.

I'd prefer a unit under the $1500.00 range....

A good example of what I'm looking for would have been the Swissonic AD24,
but lately these units seem to be harder to get than a straight answer

from
a politician.

Something better than the Behringer but not as expensive as the Apogee...

Or am I looking for hen's teeth?

malachi

Philipp Wachtel

Malachi wrote:

A good example of what I'm looking for would have been the Swissonic
AD24, but lately these units seem to be harder to get than a straight
answer from a politician.

AFAIK Swissonic has gone bankrupt about 2 years ago or so. What I know for
sure, is that the name rights were bought by a big music shop in Germany
www.thomann.de - www.swissonic.com also forwards to that shop.
So, chances are bad to find something new from Swissonic...

Phil

You should be able to get a Frontier Tango-24 for well below $1500. A
friend of mine uses one in the exact same set up that you're
describing, and he loves it. He's got his Symetrix SX-202's going into
the Tango24 which sends everything into the 002 via the ADAT lightpipe
connection. When the used Tango-24's show up on eBay they commonly sell
for around $300 to $350.
-Paul

As a matter of fact here's one for $250!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frontier-Desigh-...QQcmdZViewItem

Malachi

Thanks, I decided to score it on a buy it now.

Based on the reviews I've read, I'm willing to try it out.

Thanks for the info!!!

malachi

wrote in message
oups.com...
As a matter of fact here's one for $250!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frontier-Desigh-...QQcmdZViewItem

Right on! I hope it works out well for you. Please remember to post
your opinion on the Tango24 here at r.a.p.

Malachi

Sure I'd be happy to, even though compared to most of the folks in here, I'm
far from any kind of authority on the subject...

malachi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Right on! I hope it works out well for you. Please remember to post
your opinion on the Tango24 here at r.a.p.

That's quite alright. If we only heard from the "authorities" about
such matters then a great deal of what would be discussed here would
only be about the most expensive gear, heard through the most expensive
consoles, amplifiers, and speakers, in a well designed room. What
continues to makes r.a.p. such a great resource is that the
"authorities" and non-authorities alike are able to help one another
get the best bang for their buck. In the past few years r.a.p. has been
_tremendous_ for helping me decide how to best spend my money on gear
without passing the point of diminishing returns.

Lorin David Schultz

"Malachi" wrote:

I'm looking for a unit to pair with my Digi002r that does eight
channels of AD conversion and sends it to the optical input on the
Digi.

I'd prefer a unit under the $1500.00 range....

A good example of what I'm looking for would have been the Swissonic
AD24, but lately these units seem to be harder to get than a straight
answer from a politician.

Something better than the Behringer but not as expensive as the
Apogee...

Frontier Design Tango 24:

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/Tango24

- Lorin David Schultz