Timberwolf

Default Newbie question: Any good resources on audio production?

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie in the world of audio production.
I'm especially interested in digital audio and
sound engineering.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

John Atkinson

"Timberwolf" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Bob Katz's site -- http://www.digido.com -- has some excellent essays
and Bob has also published a good book on the subject of mastering.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Bruce J. Richman

John Atkinson wrote:

"Timberwolf" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Bob Katz's site -- http://www.digido.com -- has some excellent essays
and Bob has also published a good book on the subject of mastering.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Another website that deals pretty extensively with mastering, although
primarily from a vinyl perspective and SACD perspective, is the Steve Hoffman
website, www.stevehoffman.tv - which has a chat forum, news re. remastered old
issues of famous titles, etc.

Also, if you have any interest in the mastering of the famed Mobile Fidelity
series of LP's and CD's, you might want to consider subscribing to the
Phonogram e-mail based mailing list. Stan Ricker, one of the legendary MoFi
personnel and others involved in record production post there and are usually
willing to answer specific questions. Send an e-mail to
, leave the subject title blank, and insert in the
body the words info phonogram and you should receive detailed subscription
information. Of course, there is no charge and the mailing list is lightly
moderated, so no flames and/or personal attacks 99% of the time.

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

Another website that deals pretty extensively with mastering, although
primarily from a vinyl perspective and SACD perspective, is the Steve
Hoffman website, www.stevehoffman.tv - which has a chat forum, news
re. remastered old issues of famous titles, etc.

Some people are condemned to live mostly in the past, and drown in snake oil
in the present.

Also, if you have any interest in the mastering of the famed Mobile
Fidelity series of LP's and CD's, you might want to consider
subscribing to the Phonogram e-mail based mailing list. Stan Ricker,
one of the legendary MoFi personnel and others involved in record
production post there and are usually willing to answer specific
questions.

Talk about living in the past!

Send an e-mail to , leave the
subject title blank, and insert in the body the words info
phonogram and you should receive detailed subscription information.
Of course, there is no charge and the mailing list is lightly
moderated, so no flames and/or personal attacks 99% of the time.

That means you don't post there, eh Richman?

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

Another website that deals pretty extensively with mastering, although
primarily from a vinyl perspective and SACD perspective, is the Steve
Hoffman website, www.stevehoffman.tv - which has a chat forum, news
re. remastered old issues of famous titles, etc.

Some people are condemned to live mostly in the past, and drown in snake oil
in the present.

Irrelevant to the present thread, but what else can one expect from RAO's most
despised and hated poster. Just another example of this anti-vinyl, anti-tube,
anti-individual-preference, and anti-subjective-opinion zealot? CLK can always
be depended upon to make unprovoked personal attacks against other posters
whenever such subjects as those listed above occur.

As usual, no evidence suggests to support his paranoid ravings about "snake
oil" and "the past".

Also, if you have any interest in the mastering of the famed Mobile
Fidelity series of LP's and CD's, you might want to consider
subscribing to the Phonogram e-mail based mailing list. Stan Ricker,
one of the legendary MoFi personnel and others involved in record
production post there and are usually willing to answer specific
questions.

Talk about living in the past!

More irrelevant bigotry from RAO's most hated and despised poster. He's just
like the Everready rabbit. He just keeps flailing away in a pathetic attempt
to spread his anti-vinyl propaganda. One can't help but wonder if he's related
to Baghdad Bob. I'm sure he'd relish the title of RAO's Minister of
Disinformation.

Send an e-mail to , leave the
subject title blank, and insert in the body the words info
phonogram and you should receive detailed subscription information.
Of course, there is no charge and the mailing list is lightly
moderated, so no flames and/or personal attacks 99% of the time.

That means you don't post there, eh Richman?

Wrong aqain, Krueger. The Google record clearly indicates that Krueger
generally opposes efforts to provide moderation in audio newsgroups.

Bruce J. Richman

Terrance Ackerman

Man, there's so many sites I wouldn't know where to start.

If I had to make a recommendation, for engineering, try www.ArtistPro.com - They have (free) "online courses" in audio engineering that do a nice job on understanding the basics.

Also, subscribe to TapeOp magazine (www.tapeop.com) It's cool, it's FREE, it covers a lot of home & project stuff. Lots of real-world articles from real-world engineers and situations.

Mastering - As an engineer, a basic knowledge of mastering can really help your engineering - Mostly to avoid mistakes that make it hard on mastering engineers. Mastering is too much of a "secret book - black arts" thing for me, and there are few who really excel at it. Two sites/places I would recommend are Bob Ludwig and Adam Ayan at Gateway Mastering (www.gatewaymastering.com) and John Scrip at Audiographics (www.johnscrip.com). Scrip's site has a lot of articles that take some of the mystery out of some common mixing mistakes and misconceptions. It completely changed my engineering technique (I used to "over-engineer" everything).

I hope that helps you get started.

T.