Max Holubitsky

Default AMC CVT2030 STEREO TUBE AMPLIFIER

Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes, but
for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

Shrivel

I'm probably a bit biased (I own an AMC AV81HT pre-amp) but I've found
nearly every AMC unit to be an absolute bargain and to offer top-notch sound
quality. I say "nearly" every because the first AMC pre-amp I bought was a
short-lived piece that had center channel and rear channel amps built into
it and it suffered from pretty horrid noise. Although I've never owned the
piece in question, I've heard it several times at my dealer's shop and loved
it (it was especially amazing in conjunction with AMC CD player).

If I weren't such a home-theater junkie, I'd very likely own one. I highly
recommend it, especially if you can get one in the 200 dollar neighborhood
used.

Burton T. Maugans

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes, but
for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

Max Holubitsky

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. I haven't managed to find a bad review of AMC's
tubed equipment yet, aside from some people having reliability problems with
their tube integrated. The specs for their tube amps don't say anything
about damping factor, which could possibly be a problem area (I find a lot
of inexpensive tube amp designs don't mention this spec for a reason)
If it's above 10 or so though this looks like a great way to go. This amp
isn't for me, but I want to recommend something in good conscience that has
a good price to performance ratio, for use with reasonably sensitive
speakers, in a medium sized room, (16x25) with my old Rotel line stage Pre,
and a Marantz CD-53. The system is slightly bright as is, and the old
reciever recently bit the dust, so it's time for a new amp.

Max

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message
Shrivel wrote:

[...]

I haven't heard their tubvd equipment, but I share your enthusiasm for

their
products. I had a chance a few years ago to hear one of their higher

powered
SS models (at least 100 watts/chanel but I don't know the model number)

driving
a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-VIIII hybrid planar speakers. These 2

pieces
together gave many of the "higher priced spreads" a real run for money

IMHO.
The ET's, at about $ 1600/pair compare very favorably with the Magnepan

1.6
QR's, have better bass due to an effective woofer system, and don't

require as
much power to drive to satisfying lievels IME. As for the AMC SS

amplifier
that was driving them, all I can say was it was not at all harsh, sounded

very
well balanced, and definitely provided adequate power and dynamics with

most
types of music I heard, including full-scale orchestral and electric rock.

agree with you that the AMC products, while not as highly advertised or

touted
as some other brands, should be considered by those looking for high

quality
entry level audio gear.

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes, but
for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

Bruce J. Richman

Max Holubitsky

If I weren't such a home-theater junkie, I'd very likely own one. I

highly
recommend it, especially if you can get one in the 200 dollar neighborhood
used.

You really think I can find one that cheaply? At that price, I can't see it
having much competition.

Trevor Wilson

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes, but
for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

**Until you have to fix the bloody things. They're unreliable and the
soldered tubes ARE a MAJOR PITA. Don't buy one. Failure rate is around 100%.

--
Trevor Wilson (who has serviced dozens of the bloody things, both in and out
of warranty)

Daniel

Shrivel wrote:

[...]

types of music I heard, including full-scale orchestral and electric rock. I
agree with you that the AMC products, while not as highly advertised or touted
as some other brands, should be considered by those looking for high quality
entry level audio gear.

I have a 3050A 50 wpc integrated which I bought for $300 from Audio
Advisor a few years ago. It wants to suggest the NAD 3020A in its case
design and name. (I think the designer used to be with NAD.) It feels
a lot more substantial than the 3020A, though, which I bought it to
replace. I like it just fine, with a Rega Planet and Paradigm Atoms. A
very pleasant-sounding system.
Shrivel

My apologies. I was thinking of the prices of the solid state amps in their
range (it been quite a while since I've seen the 2030). What kind of prices
are you finding on eBay for the thing?

BTW, I was unaware the tubes were soldered onto the board in that amp. If
that's the case, it should be a concern - that's a pretty big technical
"faux pas" that shouldn't be ignored. I still stand by my opinion that it's
a great sounding amp, but the life-span of a vacuum tube ain't that great
and unless the thing's selling for a rock-bottom price, it might be best to
avoid it :-(

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
. ca...

If I weren't such a home-theater junkie, I'd very likely own one. I

highly
recommend it, especially if you can get one in the 200 dollar

neighborhood
used.

You really think I can find one that cheaply? At that price, I can't see

it
having much competition.

Bruce J. Richman

Compulsive liar, Krueger, exhibits his poor reading comprehension and
deliberate misrepresentation of what others have said:

revor Wilson" wrote in message

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes, but
for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

**Until you have to fix the bloody things. They're unreliable and the
soldered tubes ARE a MAJOR PITA. Don't buy one. Failure rate is
around 100%.

No doubt.

Anybody who understands tube technology should immediately see what an
accident going some place to happen this POS is.

30 wpc isn't bad for a pair of EL34s, in class AB. In class A operation as
the manufacturer claims, their useful life has to be vastly reduced.

When I had amps with (socketed) EL34s, the rule of thumb was replace them
every year. At a few bucks apiece, this was no biggie. A $20 bill and a
quick bias adjustment or three (until the tubes settled in) and I was
stylin'. Well that was life in the middle of the last century, and things
have improved greatly since then.

What does a good EL34 cost today? Well, anywhere from $8 each and up. Not
that bad if the $8 tubes are any good, all things considered.

But AMC runs its tubes class A, vastly increasing current and heat. Note
that the manufacturer brags about all the cooling fans he's added at
http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=AO&Produ
ct_Code=CVT3030as .

Just blowing the heat away doesn't address the stress on limited-life
internal components like cathodes.

For the final ghastly touch, AMC solders the tubes in place. One would think
that in 80 years that someone would have invented a good tube socket! Of
course they did at least 50 years ago, so why doesn't AMC use them? Anybody
ever hear of dynamic obsolescence?

Richman's recommendation of planar speakers makes some sense because it's
probable that their load impedance doesn't cause the AMC quite the audible
coloration hassle that you get with more typical speakers. Regrettably,
planar speakers are usually inefficient, so where does a short-lived 30 wpc
get you, anyway?

Bottom line, this is a boutique item for people who literally have money to
burn. People who recommend crap like this would appear to be on a personal
influence power trip. I did say Richman, didn't I?

;-)

In the end the dupes, I mean new owners have the final insult: They have to
listen to this amp for a little while until it breaks! They will probably
shortly be lusting after new speakers. After all the wailing and gnashing of
teeth, it's got an output transformer, no doubt a relatively high output
impedance, and its sound changes audibly with every different speaker you
hook up to it.

\

As usual, the compulsive liar, Krueger, tries pathetically to misrepresent and
distort what another person has said.
As my post re. AMC products clearly indicates, there is an endorsement of the
Eminent Technology LFT-VIII planar/hybrid loudspeaker - not a pure planar as
the liar, Krueger, suggests. This endorsement was based on my personal
listening experiences with this speaker. Also, contrary to compulsive liar
Krueger's false report, I specifically mentioned hearing this speaker with an
AMC SOLID-STATE AMPLIFIER of at least 100 watts/channel power rating (model not
specified). I think most readers would agree that 100 watts/channel is usally
considered enough to drive even what might be a relatively inefficient speaker
such as the ET planar/hybrid. (ET recommends a minimum of 75 watts/channel as
suitable).
Of course, contrary to compulsive liar Krueger's fraudulent report, I did not
comment at all about AMC's tubed amplifiers, nor any other tubed amplifier in
combination with this ET speakers. I specifically described the subjective
qualities of the SS AMC amplifier, which I thouht were quite good.

Sioce compulsive liar, Krueger, has deliberately omitted my post so that he
could distort and misrepresent what I said, I'll unfortunately have to now
reproduce it here to further illustrate the degree of his deception and
fraudulent comments. I said the following re. the AMC SS amplifier/ET speaker
combination:

"I had a chance a few years ago to hear one of their higher powered
SS models (at least 100 watts/chanel but I don't know the model number) driving
a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-VIIII hybrid planar speakers. These 2 pieces
together gave many of the "higher priced spreads" a real run for money IMHO.
The ET's, at about $ 1600/pair compare very favorably with the Magnepan 1.6
QR's, have better bass due to an effective woofer system, and don't require as
much power to drive to satisfying lievels IME. As for the AMC SS amplifier
that was driving them, all I can say was it was not at all harsh, sounded very
well balanced, and definitely provided adequate power and dynamics with most
types of music I heard, including full-scale orchestral and electric rock"

The reference for the above post is:

Note that, contrary to compulsive liar, Krueger's false assertions, there is
neither mention nor recommendation of AMC's tubed amplifiers here, and
certainly not in conjunction with the ET planar/hybrid loudspeaker.

Expect compulsive liar Krueger to now try and backtrack and rationalize his
deliberate deceptive postings by claiming that my reference to AMC products
means I've endorsed their tubed products as well - a typical Krueger word-game,
parsing ploy - that has been exposed here by many of his targeted enemies that
he has fraudulently misrepresented

One would think that after years of having his lies, deceptive deletions of
what others have actually said on RAO, and deliberate distortions &
misrepresentations of their words, he would finally "get it". But sadly, this
does not appear to be the case. He just continues to insult the intelligence
of all those who don't share his agenda-driven need to try and modify reality.

My thankis to Mr. Krueger for once again providing all on RAO to experience
once again a classic and transparent example of his typical efforts to
misrepresent and lie about what another poster has actually said. It's always
a pklasure to expose his lies and deceptions.

ROFLMAO!

Bruce J. Richman

Max Holubitsky

eBay pretty much gets sold for not that much less than what it
is worth.

If this thing really does have soldered-in tubes, it is just more evidence
that the essence of selling tubed audio gear is sadism.

It's way expensive ($1100) for just an integrated amplifier.

That's the CVT 3030 - the 3020 is a power amplifier, not an integrated amp, and
while it retails for $999 it can be had for $359 with a one year warrenty on
eBay.

30 wpc is marginal when it comes to power output, and frankly I don't see
how they get 30 wpc out of a pair of EL34s in class "A".

They don't, I read a review of the 3030 (looks like the same power amp as the
3020) in a magazine which tested it, and found the class "A" claim to be false
advertising. It's just a plain class AB amp with solid state driver circuity. I
don't see what all the fuss is about "pure class A" operation anyhow.

IME EL34's are hard put to do 30 wpc for very long in class AB and that is
a cakewalk compared to true class A.

Tell this to the guitar folks. EL34's can reliably put out 50W, and more per
pair. In fact, if you want to push them, you can get 100W out of a single pair
of EL34s, without exceeding any of their design ratings. I wouldn't expect them
to last very long like that, but they are capable - 30W is idling.

Then, they soldered-in these doomed-to-a-quick-death output tubes?

I'd probably install tube sockets the first time the tubes needed changing,
however if the amp is plagued by other reliability problems, I'll take it off
the list. EL34s are cheap and widly available, and I don't think reliability of
the tubes themselves will be a problem provided they are changed every couple
years, and a good brand is used in the first place.

Max Holubitsky

Shrivel wrote:

My apologies. I was thinking of the prices of the solid state amps in their
range (it been quite a while since I've seen the 2030). What kind of prices
are you finding on eBay for the thing?

Around $360 or so although cheaper is surely possible. I haven't been looking
for very long.

BTW, I was unaware the tubes were soldered onto the board in that amp. If
that's the case, it should be a concern - that's a pretty big technical
"faux pas" that shouldn't be ignored. I still stand by my opinion that it's
a great sounding amp, but the life-span of a vacuum tube ain't that great
and unless the thing's selling for a rock-bottom price, it might be best to
avoid it :-(

If I can get it really cheaply, I would do it with the intent of installing tube
sockets... I believe that the latest versions of AMC tube products have tube
sockets installed, but at the price that they command, there are plenty of other
alternatives. The one huge advantage AMC seems to have over much of its
competiton, is they actually make reasonably priced tube gear that dosen't look
like it belongs next to a jacob's ladder and some flashing lights in some horror
movie set.

Max Holubitsky

**Until you have to fix the bloody things. They're unreliable and the
soldered tubes ARE a MAJOR PITA. Don't buy one. Failure rate is around 100%.

This is good to know. Most tube equipment I have owned has been extremely
reliable, aside from the output tubes getting weak every few years. If other
stuff is going to go wrong with it, it's a symptom of bad design, and I may as
well just forget about it.

Bruce J. Richman

Shrivel wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you made a very wise choice. I've heard some SS equipment that I
cvouldn't stand (such as many of the Krell products) and others, such as some
of the AMC amplifiers and a few Classe products that I could very easily live
with.
As an aside, I listen to SS amplification just about every day in a car audio
system powered by an Audio Arts 4-channel amplifier diriving 4 sets of MB Quart
2-way speaker systems (with separate crossovers). My only comment is - I wish
that Audio Arts made home equipment as well, and then maybe I'd be using it
there also. The amplifier sounds very clean, clearly is not overly stressed by
the speakers despite having fairly moderate power ( 35 watts/channel times 4),
and never sounds overly harsh, analytical or bright. So there is no question
in my mind that SS amplification can be very appropriate for certain
amplifications and certain types of speakers.

Fortunately, unlike the compulsive liar and slanderer, Krueger, I don't suffer
from the irrational form of dichotomous thinking that compels me to lie,
distort and misrepresent the views of other people.

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

IME EL34's are hard put to do 30 wpc for very long in class AB and
that is a cakewalk compared to true class A.

Tell this to the guitar folks.

Guitar amps and Hi Fi amps are two wildly different applications.

EL34's can reliably put out 50W, and
more per pair. In fact, if you want to push them, you can get 100W
out of a single pair of EL34s, without exceeding any of their design
ratings. I wouldn't expect them to last very long like that, but they
are capable - 30W is idling.

No it isn't. I've had a number of HiFi amps with EL34 outputs and simply
know better.

Let's look at an official EL34 spec sheet. Skipping over all the strictly
NOT HiFi class B modes of operation we come to
http://www.triodeel.com/6ca7ap4.gif . There near the top we see the
manufacturer's view - 35 watts, but at 5% distortion. Definately NOT hi fi
at even this relatively low level of power. The old Dyna stereo 70 rated
EL34s at 35 watts, but in practice a few months of use and you were down to
about 30 watts at low distortion which hung on for a year or more, if you
were reasonably lucky.

Arny Krueger

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

Krueger once again tries to frauduilently represent what I have said:

I've never done anything frauduilently.

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

Anyone here ever own/try one? Not crazy about the soldered tubes,
but for the price they go on ebay, and the reviews they get on
audioreview.com, it looks like somewhat of a bargain.

IME, stuff on eBay pretty much gets sold for not that much less than
what it is worth.

Another example of Krueger's arrogance.
The success of eBay has a lot to do with people being able to get
relatively high value for their dollar,not marginal savings.
For example, a number of new products are sold on eBay on a regular
basis at substantial discounts below MSRP. Of course to compulsive
liar Krueger's way of thinking, that doesn't matter, since he
arrogantly tries to define "worth" in terms specific only to him.

Tell you what, Richman you tell me your ebay ID and I'll tell you mine.
Let's take this discussion out of the abstract and into the area of personal
experience.

Max Holubitsky

Let's look at an official EL34 spec sheet. Skipping over all the strictly
NOT HiFi class B modes of operation we come to
http://www.triodeel.com/6ca7ap4.gif . There near the top we see the
manufacturer's view - 35 watts, but at 5% distortion. Definately NOT hi fi
at even this relatively low level of power. The old Dyna stereo 70 rated
EL34s at 35 watts, but in practice a few months of use and you were down

about 30 watts at low distortion which hung on for a year or more, if you
were reasonably lucky.

Okay Arny, at 375V on the plate? That's less than half the rated maximum
voltage! Are you kidding?

Turn the page and look at this one http://www.triodeel.com/6ca7ap5.gif
Have you heard of the Dynaco MK-II? Or any number of other amps which get at
least 50W from a pair of AB1 EL34's?

Not to mention that 5% THD is with *zero negative feedback* - have you ever
looked at the performance of a solid state amp with no negative feedback?

I normally see your posts as being biased, which is cool, because it's never
bad to have an opinion and defend it - overly neutral people can get boring
but this is just technically inaccurate.

dave weil

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:04:51 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

Arny's is arnyk.

This is public record.

Apparently, recently someone had a substandard experience with him,
but was generous and gave him a positive rating anyway.

The most interesting thing about Arnold is that he apparently isn't
the best of eBayers, as he doesn't give a lot of feedback in return to
the feedback that *he's* been given. His percentage of feedback
given/received ratio is only 50%. Poor performance indeed.

Arny Krueger

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
. ca
Let's look at an official EL34 spec sheet. Skipping over all the
strictly NOT HiFi class B modes of operation we come to
http://www.triodeel.com/6ca7ap4.gif . There near the top we see the
manufacturer's view - 35 watts, but at 5% distortion. Definately NOT
hi fi at even this relatively low level of power. The old Dyna
stereo 70 rated EL34s at 35 watts, but in practice a few months of
use and you were down

about 30 watts at low distortion which hung on for a year or more,
if you were reasonably lucky.

Okay Arny, at 375V on the plate? That's less than half the rated
maximum voltage! Are you kidding?

Not in the least.

Maybe you ought to look at the rec.audio.tubes google archives and see what
guys like ned carlson say about running EL34s with 750 volts on the plates.

Turn the page and look at this one http://www.triodeel.com/6ca7ap5.gif
Have you heard of the Dynaco MK-II? Or any number of other amps which
get at least 50W from a pair of AB1 EL34's?

These amps were very popular in my days with tubes. What Dyna claimed and
what showed up in public tests of them (i.e., Mac Clinics) were let's say
divergent.

Upgrading MK II amps to use 6550s is a popular mod.

Not to mention that 5% THD is with *zero negative feedback* - have
you ever looked at the performance of a solid state amp with no
negative feedback?

The spec given was for just the output stage. So let's look at the
distortion of the output stage of a SS amp without feedback. I've done this
test a number of times and partially due to the fact that most SS amp output
stages are push-pull emitter followers with lots of local negative feedback,
their distortion without feedback under similar conditions is not gross -
typically under 1%. If you look at studies of sources of distortion in SS
power amps (i.e., Doug Self's web site) he finds that other parts of the amp
are very significant contributors.

Arny Krueger

said:

[...]

The guy was nervous. I silently suffered with his crap because I got a good
deal.

The most interesting thing about Arnold is that he apparently isn't
the best of eBayers, as he doesn't give a lot of feedback in return to
the feedback that *he's* been given.

Sometimes I do people favors by not leaving feedback. In other cases I'm
dealing with people who have 100's, sometimes over 1000 pieces of feedback
already.

His percentage of feedback
given/received ratio is only 50%. Poor performance indeed.

Whine, whine whine. It's the price I pay for using an obvious eBay userid
around compulisvely condescending sourpusses like Weil.

Notice how forthcoming Weil is with his own eBay ID. I guess he's got
something to hide or is just plain paranoid.

Max Holubitsky

Not in the least.

Maybe you ought to look at the rec.audio.tubes google archives and see what
guys like ned carlson say about running EL34s with 750 volts on the plates.

I am not saying that running EL34s with 750 volts on the plate is a good idea,
just that a pair of EL34s had the potential to develop well beyond 30W of power.
Not to mention, that the operating conditions I showed you were at 500V on the
plate, which is far more reasonable than 750.

Therefore, restricting power output of the amp to 30W qualifies as a
conservative use of the tube, which will prolong the life span of the tubes.
Your original point was that the tubes in the amplifier in question were being
pushed to their limit, and I wholeheartedly disagree - most of the operating
conditions shown in the data sheet create far more than 30 Watts. Even the
venerable Marantz 9 gets more than 30 W out of each pair of EL34's.

The spec given was for just the output stage. So let's look at the
distortion of the output stage of a SS amp without feedback. I've done this
test a number of times and partially due to the fact that most SS amp output
stages are push-pull emitter followers with lots of local negative feedback,
their distortion without feedback under similar conditions is not gross -
typically under 1%.

Local negative feedback is still negative feedback. Further, it is possible to
design a tube amplifier with local feedback loops that will knock the output
stage distortion to well below the 5% quoted, even before global negative
feedback is considered. The 50W amplifier design in the back of some RCA tube
manuals shows a good example of this technique, and that particular design has
excellent specifications.

There is obviously no contest between ultra low distortion ss amps, and the best
tube amps, when it comes to distortion measurements, but a well designed EL34
amp will have much, much less than 5% THD at 30W. If it actually did have 5% THD
it would sound terrible.

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

Arny's (eBay id) is arnyk.

This is public record.

I know an eBay ID that Weil uses, but since he's paranoid about it being
blabbed around, I won't post what it is. I also don't know that its the only
one he uses.

However I will say that I don't share his taste in sub-$2 refrigerator
magnets which is all that I can see that he has used eBay for lately.

There you go, David Weil, last of the big spenders!

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio gear as
have been virtually all of my transactions.

dave weil

said:

[...]

The guy was nervous.

Yeah, he probably thought he wasn't getting paid because you took so
long to pay. And then you communicated with him the same way you
communicate around here. No wonder he was 'nervous".

I silently suffered with his crap because I got a good deal.

The most interesting thing about Arnold is that he apparently isn't
the best of eBayers, as he doesn't give a lot of feedback in return to
the feedback that *he's* been given.

Sometimes I do people favors by not leaving feedback. In other cases I'm
dealing with people who have 100's, sometimes over 1000 pieces of feedback
already.

So? This means that you don't need to add your own feedback?

His percentage of feedback
given/received ratio is only 50%. Poor performance indeed.

Whine, whine whine. It's the price I pay for using an obvious eBay userid
around compulisvely condescending sourpusses like Weil.

shrug

You're the one who disclosed your eBay ID, so it doesn't matter
whether or not it was obvious or not. It was "obvious" the day you
revealed it here on RAO.

Notice how forthcoming Weil is with his own eBay ID. I guess he's got
something to hide or is just plain paranoid.

No, I'm just smarter than you are, apparently. Of course, you're on
record as thinking that a person's feedback record is not a big deal.
I happen to disagree.

BTW, the answer is "a little bit of b".
Max Holubitsky

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio gear as
have been virtually all of my transactions.

My goodness, that's impressive - what is that, over 20,000 pennies?

Arny Krueger

said:

[...]

I've got 10 days under the rules. This guy seemed to think that there were
like 12 hours in a day.

And then you communicated with him the same way you
communicate around here. No wonder he was 'nervous".

Hey guys, its Weil's mind reading act. he knows all about this transaction
and reports just the facts.

I silently suffered with his crap because I got a good deal.

The most interesting thing about Arnold is that he apparently isn't
the best of eBayers, as he doesn't give a lot of feedback in return
to the feedback that *he's* been given.

Sometimes I do people favors by not leaving feedback. In other cases
I'm dealing with people who have 100's, sometimes over 1000 pieces
of feedback already.

So? This means that you don't need to add your own feedback?

There's no rule saying that I do.

His percentage of feedback
given/received ratio is only 50%. Poor performance indeed.

Whine, whine whine. It's the price I pay for using an obvious eBay
userid around compulisvely condescending sourpusses like Weil.

shrug

You're the one who disclosed your eBay ID, so it doesn't matter
whether or not it was obvious or not. It was "obvious" the day you
revealed it here on RAO.

Why don't you reproduce the post where I revealed it.

Notice how forthcoming Weil is with his own eBay ID. I guess he's got
something to hide or is just plain paranoid.

No, I'm just smarter than you are, apparently.

Thanks for admitting that you think that hiding your activities is a good
idea, Weil.

Of course, you're on
record as thinking that a person's feedback record is not a big deal.

I believe that would be true. Especially when they are 100% positive which
obviously your's aren't given your paranoia.

I happen to disagree.

Which is why you hide your activities, natch.

BTW, the answer is "a little bit of b".

BTW, that's not relevant to the eBay you were using the last time I tracked
you down. That answer would be more like a distant b... But I'll remember
the new one and keep that it on my records for when you actually use it for
something.

dave weil

said:

[...]

No, it's just good eBay citizenship. Thanks for showing the world yet
again that you have very little consideration for protocol and others.

His percentage of feedback
given/received ratio is only 50%. Poor performance indeed.

Whine, whine whine. It's the price I pay for using an obvious eBay
userid around compulisvely condescending sourpusses like Weil.

shrug

You're the one who disclosed your eBay ID, so it doesn't matter
whether or not it was obvious or not. It was "obvious" the day you
revealed it here on RAO.

Why don't you reproduce the post where I revealed it.

You revealed it the day you posted the link to the turntable that you
won on eBay.

Are you denying that you posted a link to the closed auction of the
Rega turntable that you bought?

Notice how forthcoming Weil is with his own eBay ID. I guess he's got
something to hide or is just plain paranoid.

No, I'm just smarter than you are, apparently.

Thanks for admitting that you think that hiding your activities is a good
idea, Weil.

I think it is sometimes (or not freely revealing it).

Does the fact that you probably aren't willing to reveal your social
security number on USENET mean that you're "hiding something"?

Of course, you're on
record as thinking that a person's feedback record is not a big deal.

I believe that would be true. Especially when they are 100% positive which
obviously your's aren't given your paranoia.

I happen to disagree.

Which is why you hide your activities, natch.

BTW, the answer is "a little bit of b".

BTW, that's not relevant to the eBay you were using the last time I tracked
you down. That answer would be more like a distant b... But I'll remember
the new one and keep that it on my records for when you actually use it for
something.

Why did you deceptively edit this post?

PS, I've used the same eBay that I've always used.
George M. Middius

dave weil said of ****-for-Brains:

Apparently, recently someone had a substandard experience with him,
but was generous and gave him a positive rating anyway.

"eventually got the money, not quick, not the best communication,
ended well."

I'll bet Turdy told the seller he was completely dependent on public
assistance and/or long-term disability payments in order to buy
sympathy.

George M. Middius

Max Holubitsky said to ****-for-Brains:

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio gear as
have been virtually all of my transactions.

My goodness, that's impressive - what is that, over 20,000 pennies?

You think that's desperate? Another time, Turdy tried to pay somebody
with a beat-up old turntable he claimed was worth $300.

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:25:06 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message

Arny's (eBay id) is arnyk.

This is public record.

I know an eBay ID that Weil uses, but since he's paranoid about it
being blabbed around, I won't post what it is. I also don't know
that its the only one he uses.

It is.

So you say Weil, but I'll shortly prove that you are not to be trusted at
all.

Weil, your word is your bomb, speaking figuratively.

LOL!

However I will say that I don't share his taste in sub-$2
refrigerator magnets which is all that I can see that he has used
eBay for lately.

Then you should know that I have a spotless feedback record and have
actually posted more feedback comments than I've received. Also, I'd
argue that the quality and consistency of what people write about me
far exceeds what they write about you. Yes, that's an IMHO.

There you go, David Weil, last of the big spenders!

Well, it's not much worse than an $80 slide projector.

Sure it is, One of the fridge magnets closed for a penny, didn't it? The
other for under $2. What a hoot!

I bought the slide projector for a pretty good reason - I needed the slide
projector to show some slides I have to my kids when they were in town last
June. I was having a hard time even finding one to borrow from friends, and
rental make eBay prices look good.

One has to
wonder what kind of torture something like that is going to have to
undergo.

Lame and petty but characteristic of Weil.

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200,

This is a lie.

Unless shipping was $114.

Let me see. Ohh, that's old news. Can't read can you Weil? It's dated May
27, but I've been very clear in recent RAO postings that I just completed
another transaction for a Creative Labs Jukebox 3. Yes here it is.

Well guys, since Weil is such a prick I won't post the whole transaction
ID, but the last 4 digits are 3479. If you look at closed auction for the
device indicated, you'll see more proof that Weil is a big-mouthed fool who
goes around calling people liars when they are telling the absolute and
totally verifiable truth.

and was for audio gear as
have been virtually all of my transactions.

Only half of your currently viewable transactions have been for audio.

Wrong again Weil. My most recent transaction is clearly viewable, and you as
an eBay user can verify it easily via private email with the seller. The
transaction is done and the item in question is in my possession. You can
search google and see technical comments from me about it that would be
pretty hard to falsify.

Only about half of my transactions have been for audio, although one
of them was for more than $4,000. The breakdown is something like
this:

About 6 refrigerator magnets.
About 30 coins and stamps.
A couple of books.

So you say, Weil. But since you are so free about making such nasty false
claims about me, why extend you *any* credibility at all?

For all we know you've been selling stuff to yourself to build up your
feedback rating.

Since my feedback has been a little controversial in one or two places, it's
far more clear that it's the real thing.

Max Holubitsky

A good example of this is the venerable Marantz 8B. 35wpc 20Hz-20kHz with
less than .5% THD . It met this spec with ease, and the tubes lasted a lot
longer than a few months. I owned one for years and never did anything to it
other than replace and rebias output tubes every few years.

Nice amp! That is about what you can expect in terms of reliability, with a good
tube amp.

Arny Krueger

"John Stone" wrote in message

in article , Max Holubitsky at
wrote on 8/8/03 3:23 PM:

There is obviously no contest between ultra low distortion ss amps, and

the best
tube amps, when it comes to distortion measurements, but a well
designed EL34 amp will have much, much less than 5% THD at 30W. If
it actually did have 5% THD
it would sound terrible.

The fact of the matter is that most amps are used well below full output
nearly 100% of the time and they have less than rated distortion at the
power levels where they are actually used. Therefore the distortion at rated
power could be even larger than 10% without terrible sound as actually used.

A good example of this is the venerable Marantz 8B. 35wpc 20Hz-20kHz
with less than .5% THD . It met this spec with ease, and the tubes
lasted a lot longer than a few months.

What constitutes a tube *lasting* is generally subjective. Typically a tubed
amp is performing well below spec, but still in some sense operating, when
the tubes are replaced. If you test your amp on the bench every few months,
then you can know for sure that its operating within spec. But few people
actually did that.

I think its possible that the Marantz had significantly beefier output
transformers than the Dyna ST-70, that these transformers had less
distortion, and therefore the tubes ran longer before the total distortion
in the amp rose above 0.5%. Weight of the 8B is given as 55-57 pounds.
Weight of the ST-70 is given as something like 32 pounds which seems about
right. I'm sure the extra 20+ pounds weren't just the chassis!

I owned one for years and
never did anything to it other than replace and rebias output tubes
every few years.

Nothing different from what I did with my tubed amps which admittedly peaked
out with a Dyna ST-70 and a Eico ST-70. This is simply what one did in those
days if one was interested in good sound.

Arny Krueger

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio
gear as have been virtually all of my transactions.

My goodness, that's impressive - what is that, over 20,000 pennies?

OK Max so you want to show us how big of a *man* you are.

Yawn.

Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

dave weil said of ****-for-Brains:

Apparently, recently someone had a substandard experience with him,
but was generous and gave him a positive rating anyway.

"eventually got the money, not quick, not the best communication,
ended well."

I'll bet Turdy told the seller he was completely dependent on public
assistance and/or long-term disability payments in order to buy
sympathy.

Notice how forthcoming Middius is with his eBay ID.

NOT!

Max Holubitsky

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio
gear as have been virtually all of my transactions.

My goodness, that's impressive - what is that, over 20,000 pennies?

OK Max so you want to show us how big of a *man* you are.

Yawn.

Obviously that was your intent - who on earth cares you spend $200

Max Holubitsky

The fact of the matter is that most amps are used well below full output
nearly 100% of the time and they have less than rated distortion at the
power levels where they are actually used. Therefore the distortion at

rated
power could be even larger than 10% without terrible sound as actually

used.

Not going to disagree with you. I think that pushing an amp into the region
where it's producing 10% distortion, and then measuring it's power at that
level, is a great way to inflate the power output rating for marketing
reasons. It's not an apples to apples comparison though, to an amp which
produces 0.1% distortion at the same power level.

A good example of this is the venerable Marantz 8B. 35wpc 20Hz-20kHz
with less than .5% THD . It met this spec with ease, and the tubes
lasted a lot longer than a few months.

What constitutes a tube *lasting* is generally subjective. Typically a

tubed
amp is performing well below spec, but still in some sense operating, when
the tubes are replaced. If you test your amp on the bench every few

months,
then you can know for sure that its operating within spec. But few people
actually did that.

I generally test the tubes in my amps once every several months, and replace
them every year or two. I've tested my amps for power output and distortion
with really worn out used tubes, just to see the difference, and power
output drops in half. The key is to replace them before the performance
really starts to degrade, and before the amp really starts to diverge from
spec.

I think its possible that the Marantz had significantly beefier output
transformers than the Dyna ST-70, that these transformers had less
distortion, and therefore the tubes ran longer before the total distortion
in the amp rose above 0.5%. Weight of the 8B is given as 55-57 pounds.
Weight of the ST-70 is given as something like 32 pounds which seems about
right. I'm sure the extra 20+ pounds weren't just the chassis!

The Dyna ST-70 is a great amp, but it's still a budget design, and has its
limitations.

I owned one for years and
never did anything to it other than replace and rebias output tubes
every few years.

Nothing different from what I did with my tubed amps which admittedly

peaked
out with a Dyna ST-70 and a Eico ST-70. This is simply what one did in

those
days if one was interested in good sound.

Same thing still holds true to today.

Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

BTW, my last transaction was somewhat over $200, and was for audio
gear as have been virtually all of my transactions.

My goodness, that's impressive - what is that, over 20,000 pennies?

OK Max so you want to show us how big of a *man* you are.

Yawn.

Obviously that was your intent - who on earth cares you spend $200.

The same kind of lame brain who brags about his $0.01 and $1.99
transactions, namely Weil.

If you don't see the humor Max, explaining it to you is futile.

Lived EHT

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:45:01 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Notice how forthcoming Middius is with his eBay ID.

Why are you not forthcoming with your mug shots?

--
Thine
Max Holubitsky

I generally test the tubes in my amps once every several months, and
replace them every year or two. I've tested my amps for power output
and distortion with really worn out used tubes, just to see the
difference, and power output drops in half. The key is to replace
them before the performance really starts to degrade, and before the
amp really starts to diverge from spec.

I'm not talking about testing tubes, I'm talking about testing amps. Tubes
are just one of several sources of distortion in tubed amps.

Fair enough, but assuming the other components in the amp are fairly new,
the tubes are the only thing that will degrade with use.

Same thing still holds true to today.

Not for just about 100% of everybody. There's only a tiny but noisy

minority
left who haven't long ago, updated to superior modern technology.

That's true. I should have said same thing holds true to today for owners of
tube amplifiers.

Speaking of updating to "modern technology", I am currently constructing an
amplifier based on National Semiconductor literature, which may replace my
tube amps for day to day use, once it's completed, depending on how I like
the sound.

If you want, check out http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf and look at
the 200W amp. I know it's op amp based, but the specs look pretty
incredible, and I figured it might be fun building a high powered SS amp,
with excellent specs. It will definitly exceed the frequency response and
dynamic range capabilities of my speakers. I haven't got a dummy load big
enough to test it with, but I think clipping it would blow my speakers,
anyhow!

Max Holubitsky

I checked out some technical details before I made that rather specific
clain about that specific amp.

If you check the RAO archives you can find me beating John Atkinson up for
making similar unfounded claims about an amp that was somewhat unusual.

I'm
really not into hypocracy so I wouldn't make the same mistake myself if I
could avoid it.

Point noted.

They are sold because they can be sold, I guess. One looks at SETs and

sees
an amp with virtually every worthwhile technical refinement that has been
made to tubed amps in the past 75 years removed. What does one make of

that?

I haven't had experience using one, so I can't really comment on their sound
quality. Based on specs alone, I think one can draw his own concusions as to
how they will sound, but people do buy them.

I don't think you made an unreasonable assumption,
because if the amp had a good damping factor it would likely be
mentioned in the specs.

The specs say that 14 dB of overall feedback is used. That combined with

the
presence of output transformers pretty much says that this amp is no great
shakes when it comes to having a low output impedance.

A tubed amp with 14 dB of feedback probably has a damping factor in the
range of 12-20 @ 8 ohms, for an output impedance of more than 1/3 of an
ohm. That's relatively high by modern standards. There are probably 0.5

dB
to 1 dB or more frequency response variations in the amp's response due to
output impedance and speaker impedance variations, alone. Factor in
additional response variations due to the output transformer and you've

got
something that could pass as an equalizer, regrettably one that varies its
response somewhat arbitrarily as you change speakers, one that you can't
adjust and one you can't bypass.

I agree there too - *however* 1/3 ohm wouldn't even be all that bad. I
seriously doubt I could hear a 0.5dB variation in frequency response, given
normal speakers, with a fairly smooth impedance curve, in a normal room.

I don't know if 14dB of global NFB is enough though, because that's only a 5
times reduction in output impedance over an amp with no NFB at all - this
translates into a damping factor of 4 or 5 for an ultralinear output stage,
and much, much worse if it's a pentode output stage. I wonder if they're not
employing some other tricks to cut down the output impedance.

Trevor Wilson

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
**Until you have to fix the bloody things. They're unreliable and the
soldered tubes ARE a MAJOR PITA. Don't buy one. Failure rate is around

100%.

This is good to know. Most tube equipment I have owned has been extremely
reliable, aside from the output tubes getting weak every few years. If

other
stuff is going to go wrong with it, it's a symptom of bad design, and I

may as
well just forget about it.

**Smart move. These things are absolute crap. It reached a point where the
Australian distributor was supplying entire modules, because none of the
warranty agents wanted to desolder the damned tubes, or fault find the
output stages. There's a bunch of solid state stuff, associated with each
tube, you know. It fails, when the tubes fail. There are better, more
reliable tube amps to be had, if that is your preference. They're a whole
bunch easier to repair too.

In the final analysis, you should ask yourself this: "Why are these things
so common in the second hand market-place?"

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Bruce J. Richman

Thee Signal wrote:

Lived EHT wrote:

Notice how forthcoming Middius is with his eBay ID.

Why are you not forthcoming with your mug shots?

They are all coated in smegma?

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Could it ber that they've been used for the same purpose that he uses $ 100.00
bills?

Bruce J. Richman