S888Wheel

Default People that have or do listen to both Vinyl and Cd: Basic survey/poll

I am very interested to hear about people's experiences with both
formats. Please keep the threads limited to individual responses (no
debates as this isn't and should have nothing to do with an analysis
of the two formats). This is purely subjective and extremely
appreciated by me for those that complete the following two questions:

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

Usually the differences are more an aspect of the mastering than the medium but
in the case of my personal comparisons of what I believe to be the best
sounding recordings by labels that are not likely to screw up the mastering on
either medium I find the LPs to be preferable to the CDs. They sound
richer,warmer, more complex and more tangable in the same ways that live music
sounds richer, warmer, more complex and more tangable than playback. So the LP
brings more of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music.
S888Wheel

I am very interested to hear about people's experiences with both
formats. Please keep the threads limited to individual responses (no
debates as this isn't and should have nothing to do with an analysis
of the two formats). This is purely subjective and extremely
appreciated by me for those that complete the following two questions:

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

I forgot to mention i listen to LPs far more often than CDs. Never did the math
to figure out the ratios.

The advantage I hear with CDs is no surface noise and no effects that can be
heard on defective records.
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Usually the differences are more an aspect of the mastering than the
medium but in the case of my personal comparisons of what I believe
to be the best sounding recordings by labels that are not likely to
screw up the mastering on either medium I find the LPs to be
preferable to the CDs. They sound richer,warmer, more complex and
more tangable in the same ways that live music sounds richer, warmer,
more complex and more tangable than playback. So the LP brings more
of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music.

Typical of people who have balanced their systems to favor LPs.

Arny Krueger

"Mike" wrote in message
om

I am very interested to hear about people's experiences with both
formats. Please keep the threads limited to individual responses (no
debates as this isn't and should have nothing to do with an analysis
of the two formats). This is purely subjective and extremely
appreciated by me for those that complete the following two questions:

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

CDs and derivatives (i.e., .wav files, MP3s, etc.) including CDs made from
live performances recorded by myselves and friends, and CD's made from LPs
that were transcribed and processed digitally to remove their grosser
audible shortcomings.

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

CDs sound like music and LPs sound like either concentrated or dilute crap.

Sure, I've balanced my systems to sound best with CDs, but that's only
because I got so freakin' tired of about 30 years of forced listening to the
egregious noise and distortion inherent in LP playback. LP playback is only
tolerable to me with additional digital post-processing such as tic and pop
removal, as well as timbre adjustments and dynamics correction.

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger wrote:

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Usually the differences are more an aspect of the mastering than the
medium but in the case of my personal comparisons of what I believe
to be the best sounding recordings by labels that are not likely to
screw up the mastering on either medium I find the LPs to be
preferable to the CDs. They sound richer,warmer, more complex and
more tangable in the same ways that live music sounds richer, warmer,
more complex and more tangable than playback. So the LP brings more
of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music.

Typical of people who have balanced their systems to favor LPs.

Typical OSAF without supportive documentation from a proven anti-vinyl poster.
(Has repeated same derogatory rant in response to 2 posters prefering vinyl).

Bruce J. Richman

Max Holubitsky

egregious noise and distortion inherent in LP playback. LP playback is only
tolerable to me with additional digital post-processing such as tic and pop
removal, as well as timbre adjustments and dynamics correction.

Do you take care of your records, and have a turntable that holds speed? If so,
the only problem here should be dynamics... but unless your room is dead quiet
even that shouldn't be a problem. I'd take the original dynamic range of an LP
over listening to music though some sort of volume expander. My biggest issue
with LPs is distortion caused by over modulation, and tracing distortion (I
think that's what it's called, when it sounds worse near the centre of the
disc?)

Bruce J. Richman

Krueger tries to perpetuate his deceptive deletion of posts made by me:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

Krueger decides, as his obnoxious custom, to generate one of his
usual idiotic personal attacks:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

A very good question. Especially so, given the fact that neither
poster reporting a preference for vinyl thus far, has said anything
about how their system is "balanced" (a term not defined btw by the
poster making this unsupported claim).

Obviously Richman, you can't read. I guess that Ideologically-Induced
Reading Comprehension Syndrome (IIRCS) have returned to RAO despite
the apparent exit of Singh.

Your stupidity has once again been demonstrtated, Krueger.

Your lies and deceptions have been demonstrated once again, Richman.

A lie, Krueger. I reposted, without deletion, your unprovoked personal attack
against Mr. Holubitsky, my response to it, and of course your irrelevant
response in which you lied about what I said.

I caught you in a big mistake, but you deleted discussion of it and changed
the topic to something else.

Unfortunately for your lying self, the Google record demonstrates otherwise.
You made unsupported claims about "balanced" systems of those who prefer vinyl
- which was the original topic - not the topic to which you tried to
deceptively change it. You just can't help yourseklf from lying again,
Krueger. This surprises nobody, of course, except you and your pathetically
small group of endorsers such as Dim Tim Brown and McKelvy.

Please feel free to keep lying and deleting and deceptively editing my posts
and those of others. By so doing, you simply add to the ever-increasing number
of people who despise you on RAO.

LOL!

Since you seem to have problems actually quoting the post that you are
pretending to respond to, here it is again:

Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

A very good question. Especially so, given the fact that neither
poster reporting a preference for vinyl thus far, has said anything
about how their system is "balanced" (a term not defined btw by the
poster making this unsupported claim).

Obviously Richman, you can't read. I guess that Ideologically-Induced
Reading Comprehension Syndrome (IIRCS) have returned to RAO despite
the apparent exit of Singh.

Richman, just to save you the trouble of looking around for your
brain:

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

"I find the LPs to be preferable to the CDs. They sound
richer,warmer, more complex and more tangable in the same ways that
live music
sounds richer, warmer, more complex and more tangable than playback.
So the LP
brings more of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music."

Richman, what's unclear about "I find the LPs to be preferable to the
CDs."?

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

egregious noise and distortion inherent in LP playback. LP playback
is only tolerable to me with additional digital post-processing such
as tic and pop removal, as well as timbre adjustments and dynamics
correction.

Do you take care of your records,

Such few as I have. Right now my interest in LPs is digitizing them, for
others.

My comments mostly relate to the days when vinyl was all we had, back
through the early 80's.

and have a turntable that holds speed?

Not only does my Rega hold speed (since the new belt) but it's the right
speed. It started out a tad fast and IME a lot of turntables run fast. My
previous turntable (from the early 80s) was a TD-125 with a SME 3009-II arm.
It had a strobe that you could easily monitor while playing.

I've found that a number of MP3's I've downloaded that were made by vinyl
enthusiasts are also running fast enough to create an audible effect.
Perhaps this is where some of the *excitement* comes from.

If so, the only problem here should be dynamics... but unless
your room is dead quiet even that shouldn't be a problem.

My living room is very quiet when the windows are shut.

I'd take
the original dynamic range of an LP over listening to music though
some sort of volume expander.

True when the LPs aren't compressed, and not all of them seem to be
compressed.

My biggest issue with LPs is distortion
caused by over modulation, and tracing distortion (I think that's
what it's called, when it sounds worse near the centre of the disc?)

That, too.

Since I frequently make my own CDs from live performances I recorded, I know
exactly what the live/mix/CD playback situation is.

Robert Morein

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
I am very interested to hear about people's experiences with both
formats. Please keep the threads limited to individual responses (no
debates as this isn't and should have nothing to do with an analysis
of the two formats). This is purely subjective and extremely
appreciated by me for those that complete the following two questions:

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

I listen to CDs almost exclusively. However, late at night, I listen to PBS
broadcasts of alternative music, and jazz on WRTI, Philadelphia's excellent
jazz station.

Subjectively:
The best CDs are better than the best vinyl.
The worst CDs are worse than the worst vinyl.
Apparently, CDs are more variable.

CDs have better frequency response, lower distortion, greater dynamic range,
and a complete absence of wow, flutter, and rumble.
In spite of all this, poorly mastered CDs can provide a subjectively bad
listening experience. Before 1990, this was complicated by A/D equipment
which was not fully evolved. Now days, it can still result from negligence,
or in the case of popular titles, deliberate intent.

Arny Krueger

Deleting the usual Richman smoke and mirrors:

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

"I find the LPs to be preferable to the CDs. They sound
richer,warmer, more complex and more tangable in the same ways that
live music
sounds richer, warmer, more complex and more tangable than playback.
So the LP
brings more of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music."

Richman, what's unclear about "I find the LPs to be preferable to
the CDs."?

Richman, why not just answer the question instead of spending so much time
and effort to talk around it?

Bruce J. Richman

Krueger continues to delete relevant content and lie;

Deletion of pathetic attempts by Krueger to avoid taking responsibility for
unprovoked personal attack and deliberate misrepresentation of what I wrote

No point in repeating the lies of this habitual anti-vinyl flamer and poster of
unprovoked personal attacks. The Google record clearly indicates Krueger's
lies, deceptive editing, name-calling and unprovoked personal attack against
me.

Bruce J. Richman

Thine Deville

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:55:07 GMT, MiNE 109
wrote:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

And I suppose Arnii didn't start the fire. Were it not for new-for-old
insurance policies, what kind of hi-fi would Arnii presently own?

--
(fade in) Thine (fade out)
Thine Deville

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:12:47 -0400, George M. Middius
wrote:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Does that mean Krooger is going to live to a rotten old age?

Hopefully someone's gun will lie to him.

--
(black) Thine ( ( ( (white/radiance)
Bruce J. Richman

wrote:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Does that mean Krooger is going to live to a rotten old age?

Hopefully someone's gun will lie to him.

--
(black) Thine ( ( ( (white/radiance)

I always figured his favorite "singer" woulds be Pinocchio. (or for those SNL
fans in the US, Tommy Flanagan).

Bruce J. Richman

Margaret von Busenhalter

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

CDs and derivatives (i.e., .wav files, MP3s, etc.) including CDs made from
live performances recorded by myselves

So the truth finally came out.

No more guessing.

Cheers,

MvB

MiNE 109

wrote:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

And I suppose Arnii didn't start the fire. Were it not for new-for-old
insurance policies, what kind of hi-fi would Arnii presently own?

He'd get something in the back, in the discount rack, like another can
of beans.

Stephen
George M. Middius

MiNE 109 said:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Does that mean Krooger is going to live to a rotten old age?

Yes.

I assume you, like my telephone, are lying.

George M. Middius

Default The lying tailpipe

Arniis Kroofeceses has struck again!

performances recorded by myselves

In that fractured plane of existence, I'll bet you each hear a
different lie from each software application. Must be terribly
uplifting.

MiNE 109

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNE 109 said:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Does that mean Krooger is going to live to a rotten old age?

Yes.

I assume you, like my telephone, are lying.

Honesty is such a lonely word

Stephen

Bruce J. Richman

Stephen wrote:

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNE 109 said:

I tried to balance my system for Billy Joel, but now it would rather
laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Does that mean Krooger is going to live to a rotten old age?

Yes.

Stephen

It looks like he's "been there, done that" .........LOTS!

Bruce J. Richman

Jacob Kramer

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:13:08 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Richman, why not just answer the question instead of spending so much time
and effort to talk around it?

Why don't you just answer the original question or shut the **** up,
you incomprehensible son of a bitch?

--

Jacob Kramer
S888Wheel

I said

Usually the differences are more an aspect of the mastering than the
medium but in the case of my personal comparisons of what I believe
to be the best sounding recordings by labels that are not likely to
screw up the mastering on either medium I find the LPs to be
preferable to the CDs. They sound richer,warmer, more complex and
more tangable in the same ways that live music sounds richer, warmer,
more complex and more tangable than playback. So the LP brings more
of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music.

Arny said

Typical of people who have balanced their systems to favor LPs.

Please cite an example of such a typical system balanced to favor LPs and
explain how such a system would favor LPs.
Thine Deville

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:32:07 -0400, George M. Middius
wrote:

Arniis Kroofeceses has struck again!

performances recorded by myselves

In that fractured plane of existence, I'll bet you each hear a
different lie from each software application. Must be terribly
uplifting.

Ooops! Coffee spewage. LOL!

--
Thine
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

Usually the differences are more an aspect of the mastering than the
medium but in the case of my personal comparisons of what I believe
to be the best sounding recordings by labels that are not likely to
screw up the mastering on either medium I find the LPs to be
preferable to the CDs. They sound richer,warmer, more complex and
more tangable in the same ways that live music sounds richer,
warmer, more complex and more tangable than playback. So the LP
brings more of the intrinsic beauty I hear in live music.

Arny said

Typical of people who have balanced their systems to favor LPs.

Please cite an example of such a typical system balanced to favor LPs
and explain how such a system would favor LPs.

Been there, done that.

Tim Anderson

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Mike" wrote in message
om

CDs sound like music and LPs sound like either concentrated or dilute crap.

Your system is broken.

Tim

Tim Anderson

"Mike" wrote in message om...

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

25% vinyl
75% cd

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

Aside from occasional surface noise, I tend to the view that the original
recording along with the mastering are the biggest factors influencing sound
quality. Provided you have a competent player, which in the case of LP
means something quite expensive sadly.

However, the best sound I've heard is from LP. Defining "best" in terms of the
ability to create an illusion of a live performance. I don't buy many LPs
these days although I have numerous instances of the same recording on
both formats. I repurchased items mainly for the convenience of CD. Thus,
my comments mostly apply to older recordings.

I do find the sound degrades towards the inner groove of an LP - there
are pretty obvious physical reasons for this.

Reserving judgment on SACD, DVDA.

Tim

Arny Krueger

"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

However, the best sound I've heard is from LP. Defining "best" in
terms of the ability to create an illusion of a live performance.

Either your system is broke, you're deaf, or you haven't got a clue what a
live performance of acoustical instruments and unamplified singers sounds
like.

Thine Deville

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:43:56 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

CDs sound like music and LPs sound like either concentrated or
dilute crap.

Your system is broken.

Prove it.

You removed the pictures.

--
Thine
Tim Anderson

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

However, the best sound I've heard is from LP. Defining "best" in
terms of the ability to create an illusion of a live performance.

Either your system is broke, you're deaf, or you haven't got a clue what a
live performance of acoustical instruments and unamplified singers sounds
like.

You missed (d) None of the above.

Tim

Mikkel Breiler

(Mike) wrote:

I am very interested to hear about people's experiences with both
formats. Please keep the threads limited to individual responses (no
debates as this isn't and should have nothing to do with an analysis
of the two formats). This is purely subjective and extremely
appreciated by me for those that complete the following two questions:

1) When listening to music, what format do you listen to more often,
every time, etc.?

MP3 all the time, every day.
Vinyl often, most weeks.
CD sometimes, several times a month.
Open Reel on ocasion.
MD, when commuting.
MC, rarely.

I listen to vinyl the least but most MP3/CD/MD stuff I listen to are my own Vinyl
just transferred to avoid wearing out the surface, I transfer to CD, then make MP3
and select tracks for MD.
Open Reel is for when I run out of harddrive space transcribing vinyl I lend off
someone, or CDR or want to listen to an old broadcast. Or need to record in good
quality for a long time, but not compressed or with a computer on all thetime.
MD are not used that often, but I do not get to commute much at the moment - I need a
job to commute to....
MC is for old broadcast from the radio or albums from the library from my time in
school, when I could not afford to buy the albums.

Also I just bought a DAT, (Sony DTC-77ES) to try get into that as well. I have no
preferred use of it yet.

That's it in a nutshell.

2) What are the TWO primary differences you hear between the two (If
you do not hear any or the differences are very subtle, please say
so)?

Artifacts, the two medias present different artifacts depending on the material.
These are either an oversight from a careless publisher (old material, unequalized
and or clipped) or a glitch in production or media.

I have no other _primary_ difference to report between CD and Vinyl.

-breiler
Arny Krueger

"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

CDs sound like music and LPs sound like either concentrated or
dilute crap.

Your system is broken.

Prove it.

1) To most people, LPs played on a good system do not sound as you
describe.

Sure they do. 99.5% of everybody has stopped buying records because they
sounded like crap. That's why LP market share is down to about 0.5%, even
including "turntablists" whose use of LPs is irrelevant to high fidelity.

You can say that people scrapped LPs because of convenience, but even
convenience nets out to be a sound quality discussion. Most of the
inconvenience of playing LPs related to attempting to preserve their sound
quality.

2) LPs played on your system sound as you describe (by your account)

So do records played on many other systems that I've listened to.

For example 20 years ago 100% of everybody in my audio club (about 80
members) had vinyl and played little but. Today I can't find even one person
who listens to LPs regularly, except by means of CD-R proxies and/or for the
purpose of making CD-R proxies.

3) Ergo, your system is not good, i.e.. broken.

Ergo, I have more acute hearing than you do, and so do the majority of all
music lovers, and the members of my audio club. Some people listen to crap
and hear beautiful music and I guess more power to them. However, most
people, even most audiophiles listen to LPs and hear crap and have abandoned
LPs never to return.

Why there are so many LP bigots on RAO seems to be very atypical based on
the people I know and meet in real life. Even the RAO vinyl bigots are now
admitting that they listen to LPs half or less of the time. My only question
is what took them so long?

Arny Krueger

"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

However, the best sound I've heard is from LP. Defining "best" in
terms of the ability to create an illusion of a live performance.

Either your system is broke, you're deaf, or you haven't got a clue
what a live performance of acoustical instruments and unamplified
singers sounds like.

You missed (d) None of the above.

Prove it, and do a better job than the hack that you posted on that other
subthread.

dave weil

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:55:03 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Tim Anderson" wrote in message

However, the best sound I've heard is from LP. Defining "best" in
terms of the ability to create an illusion of a live performance.

Either your system is broke, you're deaf, or you haven't got a clue
what a live performance of acoustical instruments and unamplified
singers sounds like.

You missed (d) None of the above.

Prove it, and do a better job than the hack that you posted on that other
subthread.

He did, because you didn't write (d) None of the above.

You lose.

Again.
Tim Anderson

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...

You missed (d) None of the above.

Prove it, and do a better job than the hack that you posted on that other
subthread.

As I said, you missed it. The newsgroup is my witness.

Tim

dave weil

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:32:58 -0400, George M. Middius
wrote:

Tim Anderson said to ****-for-Brains:

You missed (d) None of the above.

Prove it, and do a better job than the hack that you posted on that other
subthread.

As I said, you missed it. The newsgroup is my witness.

Those in the group who can stand to look at that sack of ****, anyway.

Without turning into a pillar of salt you mean...