RayMan!

Default 6.1 placement with cathedral ceiling..?

Sorry for this original post, computer blew up..! Here's attempt #2!
Hi all. I would like to get some ideas on 6.1 speaker placement in a
moderately large room with cathedral ceiling. The room is a carpeted
18'x17', with large windows on one end, and the entrance on the opposing
end.. I will try to draw as accurately as possible:
____________________________
| (1) |
| |
| |
| |

/ | |
/ cathedral (2) |
windows ---- ceiling |
\ |
\ | |

| |

| Entrance
|____________________________

The TV can be in either positions (1) or (2). I personally prefer (2)
because of the light reflection on the screen can be too distracting, but
that is not a huge issue if the sound would be greatly affected..
In either way though, what would be the best placement of the surround
speakers? With the rear ones being dipoles, they will have to be located in
line with the couch, mounted on the walls on either side, and the rear
center will be on a stand a few feet behind the sitting area..
As per one advice, I was told to choose position (1) and have the dipoles
placed high and angled up in line with the ceiling, so that the sound would
reverb off the wall behind the couch.. which brings up yet another question:
how far should the couch be off the rear wall, knowing that the rear channel
speaker will be sitting there as well..

Thanks for your input

Ray!

Arny Krueger

le.rogers.com

|____________________________

The TV can be in either positions (1) or (2). I personally prefer (2)
because of the light reflection on the screen can be too distracting,
but that is not a huge issue if the sound would be greatly affected..

Room darkening curtains could provide you with more placement

In either way though, what would be the best placement of the surround
speakers? With the rear ones being dipoles, they will have to be
located in line with the couch, mounted on the walls on either side,
and the rear center will be on a stand a few feet behind the sitting
area.. As per one advice, I was told to choose position (1) and have
the dipoles placed high and angled up in line with the ceiling, so
that the sound would reverb off the wall behind the couch.. which
brings up yet another question: how far should the couch be off the
rear wall, knowing that the rear channel speaker will be sitting
there as well..

IMO, your diagram lacks enough detail to take a stab at this question.

Lionel Chapuis

RayMan! a écrit :
IMO, your diagram lacks enough detail to take a stab at this question.

Hmm, apologies for my lack of ASCII competence. How about this one?

__-;---------------------------------_-;
__--"" | __--"" |
| | | |
| | | |
| l | l
| | | |
| |\ | | |
| | | _ | | |
| | | / \ l | l
|_| || |__ |_______________________| |
\ \|| | | (1) \ |
\ | | | \ |
Windows ---------------- | * \ |\ *
\ \ ||\ | \ | \|
\ \|| || (2) \ | |
\ | || \ | |
\ | || \ | |
\ \|| \| |
\ | |
\ | Entrance

Confused enough yet? I have the option of placing the furniture anywhere I
want so I drew an empty room.

"What a nice drawing !
Sorry sir Arny is in a bar with pals speaking about military strategy.
I call him immediatly.
- Arnyyyyyyyy ! stop speak politic, you will never find weapons of mass
Destruction. Mr. RayMan! is waiting for an answer"