Mike Kozlowski

Default Is it even possible to use DVD-A or SACD in a modern system?

Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

[1] I'm being slightly anticipatory here, possibly, but only slightly.
--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/
Kalman Rubinson

On 8 Jul 2005 00:25:25 GMT, Mike Kozlowski wrote:

Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

[1] I'm being slightly anticipatory here, possibly, but only slightly.

AFAIK, the DVD-A encryption has recently been cracked and you can copy
mch DVD-A and, of course, you can play them as ever. However, if you
are interested only in stereo, most DVD-As can output a digital signal
but not SACDs.

IMHO, who cares? I prefer to just listen to them.

Kal

Mike Kozlowski

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On 8 Jul 2005 00:25:25 GMT, Mike Kozlowski wrote:

Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

AFAIK, the DVD-A encryption has recently been cracked and you can copy
mch DVD-A

Is this feasible, though? I mean, even if you de-encrypt the disc,
will Windows Media Player (or whatever) be able to read the data you
rip? I gather it's stored in MLP format, and I don't know if programs
can handle that as input.

IMHO, who cares? I prefer to just listen to them.

Me too. But if I can't rip them, I can't listen to them in any
meaningful sense.

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/
Steven Sullivan

Mike Kozlowski wrote:
Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

No. Not yet. Though you can of course capture the analog two-channel output
to digital, and do whatever you like to that.

--

-S
"You know what love really is? It's like you've swallowed a great big
Kalman Rubinson

On 8 Jul 2005 21:50:25 GMT, Mike Kozlowski wrote:

In article ,
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
IMHO, who cares? I prefer to just listen to them.

Me too. But if I can't rip them, I can't listen to them in any
meaningful sense.

I can. They just go in the DVD drive or into one of my players and
the music comes out of the speakers.

Kal

Mike Prager

Mike Kozlowski wrote:

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

I don't think so. SACD is also a problem for those of us who
use digital room correction or tone control.

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA
Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Mike Kozlowski wrote:
Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

No. Not yet. Though you can of course capture the analog two-channel output
to digital, and do whatever you like to that.

I take that back -- some Russian hacker's DVD-A copier started circulating
back in May. Here's a thread about it:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=34368

Chung

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Mike Kozlowski wrote:
Like most people[1], I listen to all my music (quite legally) in
ripped digital formats. I've been under the impression that, thanks
to the copy protection on DVD-A and SACD discs, it's not even possible
to convert them to a usable form; but I suddenly wonder if this is
actually true.

So: Is it possible to rip DVD-A/SACD discs to a format suitable for
general listening purposes (WMA, FLAC, whatever)?

No. Not yet. Though you can of course capture the analog two-channel output
to digital, and do whatever you like to that.

I take that back -- some Russian hacker's DVD-A copier started circulating
back in May. Here's a thread about it:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=34368

This brings up an interesting dilemma for the recording industry. If
they release DVD-A, then customers can rip and illegally distribute,
like they can with redbook CD. However, customers are also more likely
to buy a DVD-A recording that they can rip and play on other media
players, so sales may increase.

The one thing holding me back in buying more DVD-A/SACD's is that I
cannot listen to them on portable devices, or in a car (unless I get a
DVD-A capable player in the car). I will buy more DVD-A's if it can be
conveniently ripped.
Steven Sullivan

Chung wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Mike Kozlowski wrote:
[...]

From what i read, I wouldn't exactlyu call the process of ripping/converting DVD-As convenient,
even with this tool . It doesn't appear to be anywhere near as easy or
quick as ripping tracks off a CD and converting them to a smaller file format.

Still it seems only a matter of time...

--

-S
"You know what love really is? It's like you've swallowed a great big
secret. A warm wonderful secret that nobody else knows about." - 'Blame it
on Rio'

Gary Vander Schel

"Chung" wrote in message
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Mike Kozlowski wrote:
[...]

I recently purchased Ben Folds 'Songs For Silverman' in a dual disc
format...I'm curious as to anyone's opinion on the viability of this
alternative to DVD-A/SACD. Does DVD-A and/or SACD offer any advantages over
Dolby Digital or DTS?

..
Kalman Rubinson

On 9 Jul 2005 16:41:05 GMT, Chung wrote:

The one thing holding me back in buying more DVD-A/SACD's is that I
cannot listen to them on portable devices, or in a car (unless I get a
DVD-A capable player in the car). I will buy more DVD-A's if it can be
conveniently ripped.

Most SACDs are hybrids that play just fine (as CDs) on my car player.

Kal
Kalman Rubinson

On 10 Jul 2005 15:12:01 GMT, "Gary Vander Schel"
wrote:

I recently purchased Ben Folds 'Songs For Silverman' in a dual disc
format...I'm curious as to anyone's opinion on the viability of this
alternative to DVD-A/SACD. Does DVD-A and/or SACD offer any advantages over
Dolby Digital or DTS?

The audio quality/resolution on DDs is variable, poorly defined and,
to me, generally disappointing. The two discrete media are generally
superior in these aspects, although, they too, are sometimes not all
one expects.

Kal
gofab.com

On 9 Jul 2005 16:41:05 GMT, in article , Chung
stated:

The one thing holding me back in buying more DVD-A/SACD's

You mean other than the incredibly narrow selection of available music recorded
in those formats? )
Harry Lavo

"gofab.com" wrote in message
On 9 Jul 2005 16:41:05 GMT, in article ,

Chung
stated:

The one thing holding me back in buying more DVD-A/SACD's

You mean other than the incredibly narrow selection of available music

recorded
in those formats? )

Depends on what music you are interested. The SACD classical market is
alive and kicking. The SACD jazz reissue market is extensive, and gaining
(slowly) some newly recorded jazz. Pop is still a hit or miss affair
(mostly miss) but John Hiatt's recent hit "Master of Disaster" is a
single-release hybrid SACD that last week was at #7 on the album charts and
climbing...and his producer Jim Davidson has become a one-man PR proponent
for DSD and SACD (John Hiatt himself is the one who dragged Jim into DSD,
since he - John - has a SACD system at home). BTW, that disk has the
greatest set of songs "with hooks" that I've heard in one place in 20 years.
If you like melody, somewhat surreal lyrics, and good rock and roll, I can
highly recommend it.

3700 releases isn't the world, compared to the CD catalog, but for somebody
like myself mostly interested in classical, jazz, and singer-songwriters,
it is a catalog already well beyond the scope of my pocketbook.