Greg

Default how to put my loudspeaker higher

Hi there,

I'm not sure what is the thing in English that one puts under a
loudspeaker to get it higher. Is it a stand or a rack?

So, my question is: does it make sense to use a wooden one, that I have
by a carpenter made? What kind of wood should I use?

I have a Cambridge Audio 540A amplifier and a pair of Tannoy mx2
loudspeakers, should I better use an industrially fabricated one? The
cheapest one I've found was about 200 bucks, which seems to be
expensive.

- Gergely
Steven Sullivan

Greg wrote:
Hi there,

I'm not sure what is the thing in English that one puts under a
loudspeaker to get it higher. Is it a stand or a rack?

Usually called a stand.

So, my question is: does it make sense to use a wooden one, that I have
by a carpenter made? What kind of wood should I use?

For my home-mades, I used threaded 3/4" metal plumbing pipe, a pair
of metal 'sockets' (flanges) that they screw into , and two squares of MDF I cut
(one small, one large).

Screw the sockets to the MDF, then thread the pipe end into the sockets.
Spray paint the whole thing whatever color your like (flat black, for me).
Voila, speaker stands. All the materials can be bought cheap at Home
Depot, and they're stand is also easily dismantled and reassemb;ed.
You can fill the pipe with sand if you want more mass, and put spikes
on the bottoms if you're into that sort of thing.

_____

____|____

Yeah, I am not so sure if stands make any difference to sound quality.
I used to use Denon stand bought for $30. Wrapped it with specially
made bag filled with sand. And finally placed the speakers on Racing
cone.

Then, I bought one arcylic stand from A... something, paid about 200
and trust me I HEARD NO DIFFERENCE. Later I trade in that for
floorstanding speakers .
Norman M. Schwartz

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm not sure what is the thing in English that one puts under a
loudspeaker to get it higher. Is it a stand or a rack?

So, my question is: does it make sense to use a wooden one, that I have
by a carpenter made? What kind of wood should I use?

I have a Cambridge Audio 540A amplifier and a pair of Tannoy mx2
loudspeakers, should I better use an industrially fabricated one? The
cheapest one I've found was about 200 bucks, which seems to be
expensive.

What's the dimension of those speakers, their weight, and how high off the
floor would you like them? I found a wood all made and assembled "stand"
which served my purpose for less than $20. Where are you located? I like my
speakers at ear level, or above, (when seated)
Gary Eickmeier

Just turn up the volume...

Gary Eickmeier

Greg

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

Where are you located? I like my
speakers at ear level, or above, (when seated)

I'm writing from Hungary so I bet you cannot recommend me a good store.
What about the speaker position that's what others told me as well. I
need a 2 feet stand, I suppose. My loudspeakers are about one ft high,
8 inches wide and deep in between.

- Gergely
Norman M. Schwartz

"Greg" wrote in message
Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

Where are you located? I like my
speakers at ear level, or above, (when seated)

I'm writing from Hungary so I bet you cannot recommend me a good store.
What about the speaker position that's what others told me as well. I
need a 2 feet stand, I suppose. My loudspeakers are about one ft high,
8 inches wide and deep in between.

I guess I cannot. I raised as pair of Klipsch floor standing (SF 3) a foot
off the ground for $30 using:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12188102

Gergely Buday

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote

I guess I cannot. I raised as pair of Klipsch floor standing (SF 3) a foot
off the ground for $30 using:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12188102

Well, it's an audiophile solution. I'm afraid people here will judge
you as too geeky.

- Gergely

ps: for another poster: I tend to turn up the volume, don't worry.
Norman M. Schwartz

"Gergely Buday" wrote in message
"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote

I guess I cannot. I raised as pair of Klipsch floor standing (SF 3) a
foot
off the ground for $30 using:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12188102

Well, it's an audiophile solution. I'm afraid people here will judge
you as too geeky.

You must have meant it's a non-audiophile solution. True audiophile
solutions hardly ever come by that inexpensively. If you could fill them
full of sand, spike them to the carpet, nail them to the floor, and blu tack
them to the stand; then you have a "audiophile solution".