Arnold Holbrook

Default "Unfortunately Nakamichi no longer sells cassette decks in the US market."

I contacted a sales rep from nakusa.com inquiring about Nakamichi
dealers and the DR-10 cassette deck and this is what he told me.

"Unfortunately Nakamichi no longer sells cassette decks in the US
market."

Therefore I might as well ask if there are any other makes and models
of tape decks still in the US market that offer similiar levels of
sound quality and durability.

My interest in a tape deck stems from the fact that when I first
started collecting music in the early 90's I purchased alot of it on
tape since it was cheaper, collecting 100's of tapes in the process. I
am trying to find a durable mid priced ($1000) tape deck that offers
the best sound quality possible for these parameters before tape decks
possibly disappear.

Regards,

B.G.
Bruce J. Richman

Arnold Holbrook wrote:

I contacted a sales rep from nakusa.com inquiring about Nakamichi
dealers and the DR-10 cassette deck and this is what he told me.

"Unfortunately Nakamichi no longer sells cassette decks in the US
market."

Therefore I might as well ask if there are any other makes and models
of tape decks still in the US market that offer similiar levels of
sound quality and durability.

My interest in a tape deck stems from the fact that when I first
started collecting music in the early 90's I purchased alot of it on
tape since it was cheaper, collecting 100's of tapes in the process. I
am trying to find a durable mid priced ($1000) tape deck that offers
the best sound quality possible for these parameters before tape decks
possibly disappear.

Regards,

B.G.

Unless you're diametrically opposed to buying a used deck, I think you would
still find it hard to beat the record/playback quality of some of the Nakamichi
decks. Used Nakamichi decks in excellent condition are relatively easy to find
on both eBay and Audiogon. In your price range, a Nakamichi Dragon or CR-7A
would be very worthwhile alternatives IMHO. Personally, I use a DR-10 to make
tapes for playback on a Nakamichi TD-1200 Dragon Mobile Cassette Deck in my car
(using Dolby C and metal cassettes), and the sound quality is excellent (the
mobile Dragon is in a class almost by itself when it comes to tape playback in
a car).

Bruce J. Richman