Öökintölli

Default Need a tube CD/SACD/DVD player!

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony piece
of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube processor.

My system is:

Brentworth Sound Lab Type IV speakers

Art Audio Diavolo amp

CAT SL-1 Ultimate preamp

RPM-2 turntable and arm with Lyra Helikon cartridge

McIntosh MR71 and MR66 tuners

Tandberg TD20A SE tape deck

What are the ones worth checking out?

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

Robert Casey

Öökintölli wrote:

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony piece
of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube processor.

My system is:

Brentworth Sound Lab Type IV speakers

Art Audio Diavolo amp

CAT SL-1 Ultimate preamp

RPM-2 turntable and arm with Lyra Helikon cartridge

McIntosh MR71 and MR66 tuners

Tandberg TD20A SE tape deck

What are the ones worth checking out?

If you are at all handy inside audio equipment, you may try modifying your
"piece of junk Sony". Take a look at my page:
http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/tubedac.htm

Something else to try is to load the audio op-amp outputs with a resistor
to either a positive or a negative supply, say 12 to 24V DC.
Whatever a well filtered supply of these voltage levels is
present inside the player will do.
Select the resistor so you are drawing a few ma from the op-amp
at all times thruout the entire audio waveform. This makes the
op-amp behave as if it were single ended, thus avoiding class B
crossover distortion products (which the op-amp's feedback
loop tries to correct for, but some still gets thru). Some op-amps
benefit greatly, some this doesn't help. But this is an easy mod
to try.

Nick Gorham

Öökintölli wrote:

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony piece
of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube processor.

My system is:

Brentworth Sound Lab Type IV speakers

Art Audio Diavolo amp

CAT SL-1 Ultimate preamp

RPM-2 turntable and arm with Lyra Helikon cartridge

McIntosh MR71 and MR66 tuners

Tandberg TD20A SE tape deck

What are the ones worth checking out?

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

You could try http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm, I know of someone
building one, but as yet no reports.

--
Nick

Arny Krueger

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony
piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube
processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never will be
such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the size of a house
or larger. What you may find some day is a solid state optical disc player
with a few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on, right
before the output terminals. Why would someone who is interested in pure
natural sound want such a thing?

dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:09:00 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message
om

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony
piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube
processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never will be
such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the size of a house
or larger. What you may find some day is a solid state optical disc player
with a few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on, right
before the output terminals. Why would someone who is interested in pure
natural sound want such a thing?

Just to **** you off?

Arny Krueger

news
wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current
Sony piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and
tube processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never
will be such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the
size of a house or larger. What you may find some day is a solid
state optical disc player with a few thermionic noise and distortion
enhancers slapped on, right before the output terminals. Why would
someone who is interested in pure natural sound want such a thing?

Just to **** you off?

If you're observing that the original post was probably just a troll...

;-)

dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:25:28 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current
Sony piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and
tube processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never
will be such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the
size of a house or larger. What you may find some day is a solid
state optical disc player with a few thermionic noise and distortion
enhancers slapped on, right before the output terminals. Why would
someone who is interested in pure natural sound want such a thing?

Just to **** you off?

If you're observing that the original post was probably just a troll...

;-)

Or maybe they knew that you'd post a typically biased and useless
answer...

;-) (just for you, Arnold)

Arny Krueger

"Nick Gorham" wrote in message

You could try http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm, I know of someone
building one, but as yet no reports.

I'm *surprised* that none of our local HTML gurus have pointed out the
incompetent design of this web site. It's pretty obvious if you click any of
the links on the home page.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all, because these losers only go into HTML
critic mode if they disagree with the author or subject matter on the site.

Öökintölli

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There

**** off, retard.

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

Arny Krueger

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There

**** off, retard.

Thanks for the evidence required to place your IQ in the lower two digit
range.

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:25:28 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

As if you don't flood this place with biased and useless posts of your own,
Weil.

;-) (just for you, Arnold)

On that day in the distant future when you find your first clue Weil, why
not post again?

LOL!

dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:15:32 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Nick Gorham" wrote in message
om

You could try http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm, I know of someone
building one, but as yet no reports.

I'm *surprised* that none of our local HTML gurus have pointed out the
incompetent design of this web site. It's pretty obvious if you click any of
the links on the home page.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all, because these losers only go into HTML
critic mode if they disagree with the author or subject matter on the site.

You mean like you're doing right now?

Thanks for pointing out a good example of such despicable behavior,
Arnold!
dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:19:39 GMT, "Öökintölli"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There

**** off, retard.

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

THAT'S what I call a preemptive strike!
dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:24:33 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message
om

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There

**** off, retard.

Thanks for the evidence required to place your IQ in the lower two digit
range.

Actually, it showed a high level of intelligence to cut you off at the
knees like that.

dave weil

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:26:03 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:25:28 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:09:00 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

I don't deny a certain bias some of my posts. However, I rarely diss
people that are reasonable. I usually only diss the extremists, like
you for instance.

;-) (just for you, Arnold)

On that day in the distant future when you find your first clue Weil, why
not post again?

And why don't you stay out of threads in which you have no intention
of being helpful? Why pollute a simple question with your own agenda?

Robert Deutsch

Dan Wright does a tube modification of (sorry!) Sony SACD players.
He's expensive, but he does excellent work. Here's the link:
http://modwright.com/products/index.php?product_id=9

Bob

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:36:30 GMT, "Öökintölli"
wrote:

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony piece
of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube processor.

My system is:

Brentworth Sound Lab Type IV speakers

Art Audio Diavolo amp

CAT SL-1 Ultimate preamp

RPM-2 turntable and arm with Lyra Helikon cartridge

McIntosh MR71 and MR66 tuners

Tandberg TD20A SE tape deck

What are the ones worth checking out?

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

George M. Middius

dave weil said to ****-for-Brains:

And why don't you stay out of threads in which you have no intention
of being helpful? Why pollute a simple question with your own agenda?

Because his toilet is stopped up again.

Ronald

"George M. Middius" schreef in bericht

dave weil said to ****-for-Brains:

And why don't you stay out of threads in which you have no intention
of being helpful? Why pollute a simple question with your own agenda?

Because his toilet is stopped up again.

So he's got a "nightmare on toilet seat"

Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message
om

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony
piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube
processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never will be
such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the size of a house
or larger. What you may find some day is a solid state optical disc player
with a few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on, right
before the output terminals. Why would someone who is interested in pure
natural sound want such a thing?

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages. As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Kal

MiNe 109

wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message
om

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current Sony
piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and tube
processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never will be
such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be the size of a house
or larger. What you may find some day is a solid state optical disc player
with a few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on, right
before the output terminals. Why would someone who is interested in pure
natural sound want such a thing?

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages.

That's the commonly accepted view. It's Arny who is adopting a peculiar
definition.

See a similar RAO thread about "tubed cd players".

... As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Be prepared to have "tube-based DAC" redefined as, "solid state with a
few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on."

Stephen
Ronald

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages. As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Kal

You might be right but if you can do a tube mod your self there are
plenty candidate CD players ...... Denon DCD860 comes to mind ......

Ronald

"MiNe 109" schreef in bericht

wrote:

[...]

If you use a player with a current-output-DAC you can add a real tubed gain
stage !!

Ronald

Many SACD and / or DVD players use a multy-bit DAC with a current output
again , so adding a tubed gain stage might be an option if you do some
research
before buying ....

"Öökintölli" schreef in bericht
. ..

**** that piece of ****.

but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages.

I understand that.

As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Kal

Any idea which ones can handle SACD and DVD?

Thanks!

Öökintölli

ToobZ!

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"Nick Gorham" wrote in message

You could try http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm, I know of someone
building one, but as yet no reports.

I'm *surprised* that none of our local HTML gurus have pointed out
the incompetent design of this web site. It's pretty obvious if you
click any of the links on the home page.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all, because these losers only go
into HTML critic mode if they disagree with the author or subject
matter on the site.

You mean like you're doing right now?

Wrong. I'd have pointed out the incompetent design regardless of the site's
content.

Thanks for pointing out a good example of such despicable behavior,
Arnold!

You're just making this up as you go along, Weil.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

What's the official defintion of *reasonable*, Weil. There is none - its
entirely subjective. In short you just said that you only dis people that
you feel like dissing, which we knew already. However you tried to cloak
your behavior with a positive word like "reasonable".

I usually only diss the extremists, like you for instance.

That would be extremist in your opinion, Weil. Since you've shown yourself
again and again to be extremely backward w/r/t modern technology, that makes
you an extermist in your own right.

;-) (just for you, Arnold)

On that day in the distant future when you find your first clue
Weil, why not post again?

And why don't you stay out of threads in which you have no intention
of being helpful?

I think that disabusing people of extremist and backward views w/r/t modern
technology is among the most helpful things that I can do.

Why pollute a simple question with your own agenda?

It's not pollution, it's an attempt at clearing the waters of ignorant
Luddite, anti-digital, anti-solid state, anti-modern-technology extremism.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There

**** off, retard.

Thanks for the evidence required to place your IQ in the lower two
digit range.

Actually, it showed a high level of intelligence to cut you off at the
knees like that.

If you think that crude epithets constitute "cutting off at the knees" Weil,
then we've got your IQ pegged at well below that of a carrot.

Arny Krueger

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

wrote:

"Öökintölli" wrote in message

Need a really good tube CD/SACD/DVD player to replace my current
Sony piece of junk. I would also consider separate transport and
tube processor.

There is no such thing as a tube optical disc player. There never
will be such a thing. Were such a thing to be built, it would be
the size of a house or larger. What you may find some day is a
solid state optical disc player with a few thermionic noise and
distortion enhancers slapped on, right before the output terminals.
Why would someone who is interested in pure natural sound want such
a thing?

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages.

That's the commonly accepted view. It's Arny who is adopting a
peculiar definition.

There's nothing wrong with calling something what it is. Stephen, if you
think that calling walnut veneer solid walnut, please chime in.

See a similar RAO thread about "tubed cd players".

... As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Be prepared to have "tube-based DAC" redefined as, "solid state with a
few thermionic noise and distortion enhancers slapped on."

Which is exactly what it is. Prove otherwise if you can, Stephen.

Arny Krueger

"Ronald" wrote in message

"MiNe 109" schreef in bericht

wrote:

[...]

Which amounts to being a thermionic noise and distortion enhancer. If you
carry this thinking to the dinner table, you just add a little arsenic to
your food because it enhances the flavor.

dave weil

wrote:

"Nick Gorham" wrote in message

You could try http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm, I know of someone
building one, but as yet no reports.

I'm *surprised* that none of our local HTML gurus have pointed out
the incompetent design of this web site. It's pretty obvious if you
click any of the links on the home page.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all, because these losers only go
into HTML critic mode if they disagree with the author or subject
matter on the site.

You mean like you're doing right now?

Wrong. I'd have pointed out the incompetent design regardless of the site's
content.

So you say. Why haven't you pointed out your *own* incompetent design
then?

BTW, the design of the noted web site would be better served by
individual pages instead of one long scrolling page. The fact that
each link takes you to the top of the page isn't particularly onerous,
and could be corrected pretty easily. I assume that's what you're
talking about in terms of "incompetence". It's still a lot easier to
get the information on that web site than trying to negotiate through
your web of information.

*Your* web sites are an alarming mishmash of formatting and design
cues, veritable Frankensteins of web sites.

Thanks for pointing out a good example of such despicable behavior,
Arnold!

You're just making this up as you go along, Weil.

Nope. You're being disengenuous when you claim to to picking on this
web sitefor any other reason other than the fact that you despise tube
techonolgy. There's no other reason why you'd go to the lengths you
have to pick on a site that is generally pretty cleanly designed (from
a visual standpoint).

dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Then you shouldn't have used it, scientist that you claim to be.

- its
entirely subjective. In short you just said that you only dis people that
you feel like dissing, which we knew already. However you tried to cloak
your behavior with a positive word like "reasonable".

As did you. So?

I usually only diss the extremists, like you for instance.

That would be extremist in your opinion, Weil. Since you've shown yourself
again and again to be extremely backward w/r/t modern technology, that makes
you an extermist in your own right.

This isn't true at all. I've got 7 CD capable devices, over 1800 mp3s,
three different means for projecting digital images on a screen, three
different digital cameras, and my car is capable of being plugged into
the local emissions testing station (thereby eliminating the sensor up
the tailpipe situation).

The fact that I still have some analog devices is moot. The fact that
I sometimes prefer vinyl to CD doesn't make me a techniphobe.

PS, I don't know what an "extermist" is, although it sounds good in
relation to mere bugs like you.

;-) (just for you, Arnold)

On that day in the distant future when you find your first clue
Weil, why not post again?

And why don't you stay out of threads in which you have no intention
of being helpful?

I think that disabusing people of extremist and backward views w/r/t modern
technology is among the most helpful things that I can do.

You would, wouldn't you?

Why pollute a simple question with your own agenda?

It's not pollution, it's an attempt at clearing the waters of ignorant
Luddite, anti-digital, anti-solid state, anti-modern-technology extremism.

Tell us about having bought a turntable recently.

LOL!
Ronald

"Arny Krueger" schreef in bericht
"Ronald" wrote in message

"MiNe 109" schreef in bericht

wrote:

[...]

So does digital anyway..........
But why do you still hang out to this NG ??

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:32:31 GMT, "Öökintölli"
wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
.. .
As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Any idea which ones can handle SACD and DVD?

Frankly, if you want SACD and DVD and you want tubes (somewhere), you
have little choice at the moment. Sony has just announced an SACD
player with IEEE1394 digital audio output which may be the start of
the general availability and standardization for this. As that
happens, there will undoubtedly be high-end add-ons of all sorts.

Kal
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:34:19 +0200, "Ronald"
wrote:

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages. As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

Kal

You might be right but if you can do a tube mod your self there are
plenty candidate CD players ...... Denon DCD860 comes to mind ......

Why bother with a CD player? Add a tube DAC if you need this feature.

Kal

MiNe 109

wrote:

I really hate to come to Arnie's defense but the use of tubes in any
silver-disc player is limited to the analog/output stages. As a
result, you may have more success finding a suitable tube-based DAC
with multiple inputs and controls to mate with a transport than you
will in finding a tube-containing player that does everything you
need.

You might be right but if you can do a tube mod your self there are
plenty candidate CD players ...... Denon DCD860 comes to mind ......

Why bother with a CD player? Add a tube DAC if you need this feature.

Why bother with a tube DAC? The OP has a CAT Ultimate preamp. Plenty of
tubes there.

Stephen
Ronald

Why bother with a tube DAC? The OP has a CAT Ultimate preamp. Plenty of
tubes there.

Stephen

Passive I-V conversion sounds so much better ...... than any op-amp/SS !!
Even a step-up tranny is an option ....... without the use of a tube ....

George M. Middius

Ronald said to ****-for-Brains:

But why do you still hang out to this NG ??

"This newsgroup"?

Check your header.

MiNe 109

In article ,
Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:20:41 GMT, MiNe 109

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
Why bother with a CD player? Add a tube DAC if you need this feature.

Why bother with a tube DAC?

Because he asked for it. See Subject line.

He asked for a player. The DVD requirement doesn't help, but we're in a
trollish situation anyway.

Stephen
MiNe 109

In article ,
"Ronald" wrote:

Why bother with a tube DAC? The OP has a CAT Ultimate preamp. Plenty of
tubes there.

Passive I-V conversion sounds so much better ...... than any op-amp/SS !!
Even a step-up tranny is an option ....... without the use of a tube ....

You're reading this in RATech, aren't you?

Stephen