Steven Sullivan

Default expectation effects and smell

Abstract from
Neuron, May 19, 2005: 46 (4) p.671

http://www.neuron.org/content/current

Cognitive Modulation of Olfactory Processing
Ivan E. de Araujo, Edmund T. Rolls, Maria Inés Velazco, Christian Margot,
and Isabelle Cayeux

"We showed how cognitive, semantic information modulates olfactory
representations in the brain by providing a visual word descriptor,
€ścheddar cheese€? or €śbody odor,€? during the delivery of a test
odor (isovaleric acid with cheddar cheese flavor) and also during the
delivery of clean air. Clean air labeled €śair€? was used as a control.
Subjects rated the affective value of the test odor as significantly more
unpleasant when labeled €śbody odor€? than when labeled €ścheddar
cheese.€? In an event-related fMRI design, we showed that the rostral
anterior cingulate cortex (ACC)/medial orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) was
significantly more activated by the test stimulus and by clean air when
labeled €ścheddar cheese€? than when labeled €śbody odor,€? and the
activations were correlated with the pleasantness ratings. This cognitive
modulation was also found for the test odor (but not for the clean air) in
the amygdala bilaterally."

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
Ban

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Abstract from
Neuron, May 19, 2005: 46 (4) p.671

http://www.neuron.org/content/current

Cognitive Modulation of Olfactory Processing
Ivan E. de Araujo, Edmund T. Rolls, Maria In=C3=A9s Velazco, Christian
Margot, and Isabelle Cayeux

"We showed how cognitive, semantic information modulates olfactory
representations in the brain by providing a visual word descriptor,
=E2=80=9Ccheddar cheese=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9Cbody odor,=E2=80=9D during=

the delivery of a test
odor (isovaleric acid with cheddar cheese flavor) and also during the
delivery of clean air. Clean air labeled =E2=80=9Cair=E2=80=9D was used=

as a
control. Subjects rated the affective value of the test odor as
significantly more unpleasant when labeled =E2=80=9Cbody odor=E2=80=9D =

than when
labeled =E2=80=9Ccheddar cheese.=E2=80=9D In an event-related fMRI desi=

gn, we
showed that the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (ACC)/medial
orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) was significantly more activated by the
test stimulus and by clean air when labeled =E2=80=9Ccheddar cheese=E2=80=

=9D than
when labeled =E2=80=9Cbody odor,=E2=80=9D and the activations were corr=

elated
with the pleasantness ratings. This cognitive modulation was also
found for the test odor (but not for the clean air) in the amygdala
bilaterally."

So when it is like this, please wash your feet more regularly and use a d=
eo.=20
Ask a Japonese how we westerners smell, eating all those fermented milk=20
products like cheddar. Just disgusting.
--=20
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy=20
Buster Mudd

So, just to clarify & summarize the reason for your post's appearance
he

Cognitive modulation would most likely also occur if the subject were
to hear a test sound labeled "Mark Levinson" versus that exact same
test sound labeled "Radio Shack", right?

I can dig it.
Steven Sullivan

Ban wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
Abstract from
Neuron, May 19, 2005: 46 (4) p.671

http://www.neuron.org/content/current

Cognitive Modulation of Olfactory Processing
Ivan E. de Araujo, Edmund T. Rolls, Maria In??s Velazco, Christian
Margot, and Isabelle Cayeux

"We showed how cognitive, semantic information modulates olfactory
representations in the brain by providing a visual word descriptor,
???cheddar cheese??? or ???body odor,??? during the delivery of a test
odor (isovaleric acid with cheddar cheese flavor) and also during the
delivery of clean air. Clean air labeled ???air??? was used as a
control. Subjects rated the affective value of the test odor as
significantly more unpleasant when labeled ???body odor??? than when
labeled ???cheddar cheese.??? In an event-related fMRI design, we
showed that the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (ACC)/medial
orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) was significantly more activated by the
test stimulus and by clean air when labeled ???cheddar cheese??? than
when labeled ???body odor,??? and the activations were correlated
with the pleasantness ratings. This cognitive modulation was also
found for the test odor (but not for the clean air) in the amygdala
bilaterally."

So when it is like this, please wash your feet more regularly and use a deo.
Ask a Japonese how we westerners smell, eating all those fermented milk
products like cheddar. Just disgusting.

Actaully, this work suggests that *belief* that Westerners
smell bad , could have as much or more effect on Japanese perception, as
an actual smell.