Saul Brook

Default Anthem Pre 2L as Headphone Amp

Does anyone have any experience using the headphone output on this preamp?
It is driven by the tube stage but the manual doesn't give any real specs
other to say that it is high current and will effectively drive a low
impedance load. They rate the units output impedance at 135ohms @ 1KHz but I
couldn't say if this applies to the headphone output as well. Assuming it
does, then it's output impedance will tend to increase at lower frequencies
no? I'm thinking hard on picking up a set of AKG K501's (it's not really a
risk if it's not a good match as Headroom has a very flexable return
policy). They are rated at 120ohms and 94dB sensitivity. I've recently
retubed the unit with NOS Tungsrams and I find it to be a very smooth and
enjoyable piece so why shouldn't it make a good headphone amp? So if you
have any specific experiences matching headphones with this unit please let
me know. Thanks.

Saul