DanMan

Default over power?

Hi, i have a yamaha rxv730 (400 dollars purchased 2 months ago) it
gives out 75 watts to each channel. If i have klipsch sb2s (85 watts)
hooked up to the stereo output could this cause a problem? How about
at a certain volume? Could this be the cause of my left channel
being twice as loud as my right channel? Is it no problem to have a
speaker that can take more wattage than the receiver can give out?
Any help will be much appreciated!
Michael McKelvy

"DanMan" wrote in message
om...
Hi, i have a yamaha rxv730 (400 dollars purchased 2 months ago) it
gives out 75 watts to each channel. If i have klipsch sb2s (85 watts)
hooked up to the stereo output could this cause a problem? How about
at a certain volume? Could this be the cause of my left channel
being twice as loud as my right channel? Is it no problem to have a
speaker that can take more wattage than the receiver can give out?
Any help will be much appreciated!

There is no problem with the wattage of the Yamaha or the speakers. The
only problem likely to occur is if you turn it up to the point where the amp
is overdriven to clipping. Clipping means you have driven it beyond the
power it can deliver cleanly and is distorting.

If one speaker is louder than the other, I would first check the wires going
to the speakers and switch the polarity of one of them ( it doesn't matter
which one). Then see if the problem is gone.

If this doesn't solve the problem then you have either a bad amp or a bad
speaker.

The simplest way to determine which is which would be to hook up a different
amp and see if the problem goes away then. If it does the problem is in
the amp, if not the problem is with the speakers.

Max Holubitsky

Michael McKelvy wrote:

"DanMan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

or to connect left to right, and right to left, and see if the problem switches
channels.

Rich Clark

"DanMan" wrote in message
om...
Hi, i have a yamaha rxv730 (400 dollars purchased 2 months ago) it
gives out 75 watts to each channel. If i have klipsch sb2s (85 watts)
hooked up to the stereo output could this cause a problem? How about
at a certain volume? Could this be the cause of my left channel
being twice as loud as my right channel? Is it no problem to have a
speaker that can take more wattage than the receiver can give out?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Your speakers and amp seem like a good match. I think it's more likely you'd
damage your hearing before you'd damage the speakers.

Clipping distortion, which comes from overdriving the amp, is the quickest
way to destroy a speaker. The sound of a clipped waveform is obvious, and if
you were hearing it you'd know.

In addition to the process of elimation to isolate the source of the speaker
imbalance (make sure the problem is present with all signal sources, then
swap just the l/r speaker, then swap just the wire, to see if the problem
moves), you might first check to see if there's a "balance" or "channel
level" item in the receiver's setup menu, and make sure the levels are set
correctly.

RichC

DanMan

Thanks a lot guy... yes I am positive that it is the amp and not the
speaker I have switched speakers and wire and it still stays in the
right...i just dont get how this could have been caused. WEll...
tweeter is going to let me exchange it so i would like to make sure
that i dont do the same thing wrong with this one...Any other
comments...please add
Thanks to all