Default current crop of affordable PA power amps

hello everyone,

there have been a lot of new power amps for live PA use that have come
out over the past few years, many from brands you wouldn't think of as
being power amp manufacturers.

any good picks in the $400 range? (thinking somewhere around 800 watts
without having to resort to bridged-mono, kooky impedance tricks... 800
"regular guy" watts).

My Crown CE-1000 has been great both as a bass guitar/PA power amp.
Mono/Stereo is done with the flip of a switch and rotating the speaker
banna plug. Doesn't get much easier than that.

DaveT

thanks, Dave. that one looks solid.

TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
hello everyone,

there have been a lot of new power amps for live PA use that have come
out over the past few years, many from brands you wouldn't think of as
being power amp manufacturers.

any good picks in the $400 range? (thinking somewhere around 800 watts
without having to resort to bridged-mono, kooky impedance tricks... 800
"regular guy" watts).

Sorry, 800 "regular guy" watts has no meaning when talking about audio amps
unless a load is specified along with it.

You need to ask: anyone know of a good PA amp with about 800 W /ch into 8
ohms for $400 or less?

My answer is no, not new. the QSC RMX 2450 has 750W /ch @ 4 ohms retail
$599 USD.

used power amps, as long as thay are not defective, will give you a good
return on investment.

Scott Dorsey

there have been a lot of new power amps for live PA use that have come
out over the past few years, many from brands you wouldn't think of as
being power amp manufacturers.

any good picks in the $400 range? (thinking somewhere around 800 watts
without having to resort to bridged-mono, kooky impedance tricks... 800
"regular guy" watts).

I think it's hard to beat the RMX stuff from QSC. I have heard better-sounding
amps but not better-sounding amps with that degree of ruggedness and low
cost. But I think you'll have to drop your power demands a little.

Dave Martin

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

I think it's hard to beat the RMX stuff from QSC. I have heard

better-sounding
amps but not better-sounding amps with that degree of ruggedness and low
cost. But I think you'll have to drop your power demands a little.
--scott

I recently picked up 3 of QSC's PLX 2402's - 700 watts per channel into 4
Ohms, and 2400 watts into 4 Ohms bridged (the way that they were used over
the weekend). I anticipate buying at least 3 more in the near future.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc