crevitch

Default ampeg security screws & transformer.

where can I get a tool to remove the cab screws for an ampeg b-15. The
head is recessed with a shape that is like an oval with sides squeezed in.

Also, removed all the tubes and it still blows fuses. My diagnosis is
something wrong with power xformer. Am I correct? Primary DC
resistance is 3 ohms. Where can I get another transformer?

Thanks
Bob

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:17:40 -0400, crevitch wrote:

where can I get a tool to remove the cab screws for an ampeg b-15. The
head is recessed with a shape that is like an oval with sides squeezed in.

I doute you'll find one... get an old screwdriver and file the center out of
it...

Also, removed all the tubes and it still blows fuses. My diagnosis is
something wrong with power xformer. Am I correct?

no...

Primary DC
resistance is 3 ohms.

3 ohms is about right...

Where can I get another transformer?

you need some caps or diodes and a tech, not a transformer.

Thanks

You're welcome...

try an autoparts store, sounds like the screw GM started using.

Lord Valve

crevitch wrote:

where can I get a tool to remove the cab screws for an ampeg b-15. The
head is recessed with a shape that is like an oval with sides squeezed in.

Probably any hardware store.

That's called a "clutch-head" screwdriver. I'd suggest
buying it as a bit; chuck it into a 3/8" variable-speed
reversing drill.

Also, removed all the tubes and it still blows fuses. My diagnosis is
something wrong with power xformer. Am I correct?

No.

LV

Russ Rose

Hi. manage to remove at least one screw with a dulled-out flatblade or
whatever. Take the victim to a friendly auto parts supply store and
show it to the friendly clerk for the tool. Sorry I cannot dismember the
technical term for the tool. But this has worked well for me twice in the
last 25 years.
Next to the transformer, once you have cracked the chassis open, a more
effective way to isolate the fuse-blowing culprit rather than yanking tubes
is to unsolder all the wires of the secondary. Then see if it still blows
the fuse. If so, the transformer is guilty as charged probably. Measuring DC
resistance is practically useless endeavor as a shorted winding may only
result in a change of less than .1 ohm. A shorted winding on the secondary
will result of pulling infinite current from the primary. Check your physics
textbooks if you dont believe it. infinite current is highly suspect of
blowing fuses, much more likely than queer electrons.
Replacement available from Ampeg as they have reissued this model. Cannot
disremember if the reissue uses tube or solid-state B++ rectifier but one
can always adjust to the situation

where can I get a tool to remove the cab screws for an ampeg b-15. The
head is recessed with a shape that is like an oval with sides squeezed in.

Also, removed all the tubes and it still blows fuses. My diagnosis is
something wrong with power xformer. Am I correct? Primary DC
resistance is 3 ohms. Where can I get another transformer?

Thanks

KISS 117 by Andre Jute Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 26 December 8th 04 10:51 AM
Pyjamamama Sandman Audio Opinions 14 December 16th 03 04:44 AM
Building a circuit with no power transformer ? James Nash Pro Audio 17 October 23rd 03 05:15 PM
Question about Low DCR power transformer for filament supply Tube747 Vacuum Tubes 8 July 26th 03 08:47 AM