Default books

Hi

Sorry, but I am a newb.

I am looking for any training manuals or books that you would recommend
to help me learn about audio. I am mostly interested in learning the
in's and out's of mixer boards and how to setup small performances. I
am a total newb, so I need to learn the basics first. If you could,
please list beginner books, if there are any.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

nobody Replying Eh? Don't know of 1 book that covers everything you
need to know. If it's mainly for performance then Yamaha have a book I
think is called The Sound Reinforcement Handbook. You should also
thouroughly read any manuals for the individual pieces of equipment you
hope to use as they can give insights to performance, compatibility and
techniques.
SOS magazine has an online archive of articles and reviews as does Live
Sound International, many manufacturers have Tech Notes pages on their
sites too, e.g. Rane, Shure etc.
Finally, I think anyone that sells you a piece of equipment has an
obligation to ensure that you know what you are buying, that it suits
your purpose in form and function ( you may have legal rights here,
depending where you live) and that if they want you to come back they
should ensure that you are getting the most from what you are paying
them for. Don't let complacent shop attendants put you off. Keep asking
questions
Sean

Jay Kadis

In article . com,
"Paul Thomas" wrote:

wrote:
Hi

Sorry, but I am a newb.

No need to apologize. We've all been there. Anyhow, this question
or need for advice comes up here and on the Tapeop
message board about once every month (if not more often). So, once
again, here are some of the best books you'll find:

1: Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Davis and Jones
2: Master Handbook of Acoustics by Everest
3: The Mixing Engineers Handbook by Owsinski

I genuinely believe the above titles to be totally _essential_ for
anyone with a serious interest in ANY aspect of audio engineering.
Some other very cool titles that you might want to check out for
various reasons would include:

1: Modern Recording Techniques by Huber and Runstein
2: The Recording Studio Handbook by Woram
3: The complete Handbook of Magnetic Recording by Jorgensen
4: The Tube Amp Book by Pittman
5: The Audio Cyclopedia by Tremaine
6: Principles of Digital Audio by Pohlman
7: And check your local thrift and used book stores for an old copy of
"Basic Electronics" by Grob. If you find one
like I did for under $1 it could help you a great deal. Happy
reading.-Paul

Add to that:

Sound and Recording: An Introduction by Rumsey and McCormick, Focal Press 2002
ISBN 0 240 51680 X

I think this book explains the basic concepts better than most. A new edition
(5th) will be out later this year.

And if you're after the ultimate reference:

Handbook for Sound Engineers 3rd Ed. Glen M. Ballou, Ed., Focal Press 2005 (Now
available in paperback!)

ISBN 0 240 80758-8

-Jay Kadis
x CCRMA, Stanford University x
http://www.offbeats.com/ x

Thanks all for the advice. I will look on amazon and see what I can
get.
Thanks again.

Jim O.

Ben Bradley

On 16 May 2005 07:50:57 -0700, wrote:

Thanks all for the advice. I will look on amazon and see what I can
get.
Thanks again.

Also compare prices on
http://www.bookfinder.com

Looking on Amazon, there's only one copy of the Second Edition of
Ballou's "Handbook for Sound Engineers: The New Audio Cyclopedia"
$369.71, but bookfinder shows four copies from $49 to $80. But even at
those prices you won't save much over the current third edition, as
Jay says, now in paperback. The third edition is just titled "Handbook
for Sound Engineers"

Many manuals for mixers and other equipment are available for free
download on the Web, you can get them and start reading now. I've got
manuals from the websites of Rane, Mackie, Yamaha, Shure and surely
others I can't think of offhand. The Mackie mixer manuals are highly
recommended.

Jim O.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley