Greg Wells

Default Pro Tools and a G5 Dual 2.0 Gig - CRAP?

I've had nothing but trouble on my new G5 Dual 2.0 Gig. The computer
has lots of kernel crashes (grey screen of death) and now Pro Tools
randomly quits without warning.

I've been on the phone to Apple and Digi countless times... run
hardware tests, pushed the mystery button inside the computer, replaced
all the RAM, all of the above. Still trouble. I have some of the
biggest artists in the record business in my studio and it's bloody
embarrassing at this point.

Some respected Pro Tools techs have mentioned they think the G5 Dual
2.0 is crap. Does anyone concur?

Greg

transmogrifa

Greg Wells wrote:
I've had nothing but trouble on my new G5 Dual 2.0 Gig. The computer
has lots of kernel crashes (grey screen of death) and now Pro Tools
randomly quits without warning.

I've been on the phone to Apple and Digi countless times... run
hardware tests, pushed the mystery button inside the computer,

replaced
all the RAM, all of the above. Still trouble. I have some of the
biggest artists in the record business in my studio and it's bloody
embarrassing at this point.

Some respected Pro Tools techs have mentioned they think the G5 Dual
2.0 is crap. Does anyone concur?

Greg

Is it under warranty? What OS version? what about the Pro tools cards?
Have they been replaced? Sounds to me like the motherboard is bad. Time
for a whole new computer. I personally won't touch a PCI-X computer.
Not enough support for it in general.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Shiverbones

No, not crap! I've been running Pro Tools with a G5 Dual 2.0 gig for a
year and it almost never crashes. Panther and Pro Tools 6.4, and now
6.7. No problems. 2.5 ram. It's been smooth going under very heavy (all
the time) use.

Davy Jones Locker wrote:
In article .com,
"transmogrifa" wrote:

Is it under warranty? What OS version? what about the Pro tools

cards?
Have they been replaced? Sounds to me like the motherboard is bad.

Time
for a whole new computer. I personally won't touch a PCI-X

computer.
Not enough support for it in general.

If it's one of the brand spankin new ones, it's running Tiger. Digi

has
not yet ported PT to Tiger.
--
Steve Young better than Joe Montana?
Don't make me laugh

Echols

Use mine with photoshop for over a year now, almost no crashes. Best
mac I've ever had, and I've had a bunch since the intro of the LE pizza
box.
Steve

Ty Ford

On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:03:41 -0400, Greg Wells wrote
(in article .com):

I've had nothing but trouble on my new G5 Dual 2.0 Gig. The computer
has lots of kernel crashes (grey screen of death) and now Pro Tools
randomly quits without warning.

I've been on the phone to Apple and Digi countless times... run
hardware tests, pushed the mystery button inside the computer, replaced
all the RAM, all of the above. Still trouble. I have some of the
biggest artists in the record business in my studio and it's bloody
embarrassing at this point.

Some respected Pro Tools techs have mentioned they think the G5 Dual
2.0 is crap. Does anyone concur?

Greg

I have a dual 2G and Digi 002 running PTLE 6.9 on OS 10.3.7. No problems
other than the usual. None of the sort you are experiencing.

Sorry for your pain.

What version? What system?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Rail Jon Rogut

I've personally set up about 5 G5 dual 2 gig systems and they all work
flawlessly... do a clean install and make sure you're only running a
compatible OS version.

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software

"Greg Wells" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had nothing but trouble on my new G5 Dual 2.0 Gig. The computer
has lots of kernel crashes (grey screen of death) and now Pro Tools
randomly quits without warning.

I've been on the phone to Apple and Digi countless times... run
hardware tests, pushed the mystery button inside the computer, replaced
all the RAM, all of the above. Still trouble. I have some of the
biggest artists in the record business in my studio and it's bloody
embarrassing at this point.

Some respected Pro Tools techs have mentioned they think the G5 Dual
2.0 is crap. Does anyone concur?

Greg

Marc Wielage

On May 12, 2005, Greg Wells commented:

I've had nothing but trouble on my new G5 Dual 2.0 Gig. The computer
has lots of kernel crashes (grey screen of death) and now Pro Tools
randomly quits without warning.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

These are serious problems. I tend to think if you're having kernel panics,
this would happen whether or not you're running ProTools. I suspect the
computer itself is screwed-up, not ProTools, and not the combination of this
computer and ProTools.

Which OS are you using? How much RAM is in the computer? How are the hard
drives set up (internal/external)? Are you running any other programs in the
background?

If I knew these answers, I might be able to venture some guesses. I can tell
you I'm running OSX 10.3.8 with a dual 1.5-gig machine in my studio, and it's
been flawless. That's with 2 gigs of RAM, and about 2 terabytes of external
Firewire 400 drives.

Generally speaking, I think it's best to avoid the latest-and-greatest OS
upgrades with ProTools or Avid. I think you're generally better off to wait
one release (like sticking with 10.3.8) before upgrading to 10.4, since the
latter only just came out a few weeks ago.

I would also try to do a fresh reinstall of the OS on this computer before
giving up on it. If push comes to shove, put a new computer in and try that
with the same configuration, if you suspect the motherboard or bad RAM. You
can systematically go through and test every component, one at a time, but
that takes more time than most busy studios can afford to lose.

--MFW

hank alrich

Marc Wielage wrote:

Generally speaking, I think it's best to avoid the latest-and-greatest OS
upgrades with ProTools or Avid. I think you're generally better off to wait
one release (like sticking with 10.3.8) before upgrading to 10.4, since the
latter only just came out a few weeks ago.

Man, those are apt words and expandable, in my book, beyond the specfic
apps and OS's referenced.

--
ha

Use a Dual 2G G5 with an 002 and it's great. No problems....using PT
6.9 and 10.3.7

TH