Default Patchbay/Wiring suggestions

I want to be able to mobile record my band during a live show with my
laptop and my 8-channel Presonus Firepod. We run the PA through a
Yamaha MG16/6FX mixer.

My question is, how can I split the input signals so a signal goes to
the board, and the same raw signal goes to the Firepod? The board
doesn't have parallel record outs for each channel, however it does
have inserts for each channel. Can these be used somehow?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a balanced patchbay in order to
split the signal BEFORE going into the board. If so, how do I use XLR
sources with TRS patchbays? How do I turn the XLR male into a TRS male?
Is it simply a matter of creating my own XLR female patchbay and wiring
it appropriately to a TRS male? Perhaps it was because they're going
from balanced to unbalanced, but I've seen XLR to 1/4 adapters that
have some added circuitry. Is this added circuitry necessary if going
from balanced to balanced? I have no problems creating my own cables.

Can anybody help me sort through this madness?

Jason

psalter

Try this in the safety of your home first, but I'm thinking if you plug
a TRS cable half way into the inserts (first click only) you'll send to
the recorder without interrupting the channel signal.

Julian

"psalter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Try this in the safety of your home first, but I'm thinking if you plug
a TRS cable half way into the inserts (first click only) you'll send to
the recorder without interrupting the channel signal.

Yes, or you can make custom cords that can be clicked in all the way. Just
short the ring and tip together.

Julian

Julian

wrote

My question is, how can I split the input signals so a signal goes to
the board, and the same raw signal goes to the Firepod? The board
doesn't have parallel record outs for each channel, however it does
have inserts for each channel. Can these be used somehow?

Yes, see following messages.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a balanced patchbay in order to
split the signal BEFORE going into the board.

I prefer not to ever put mic level sources into a patch bay of any sort.
I've seen a lot of problems when people do that.

If so, how do I use XLR
sources with TRS patchbays? How do I turn the XLR male into a TRS male?

You could just wire pin 2 to tip, pin 3 to ring and pin 1 to sleeve. But
DON'T!

What I would prefer to do is get mic splitters. I did a gig like that a
month or so ago. I sent the direct to the firepod and the transformer
isolated outputs to the PA. How many channels do you want to split?

I have no problems creating my own cables.

You are best to use transformers instead of a hard wired splitter.

Can anybody help me sort through this madness?

Hope this helps.

Julian