LightningRod

Default looking for interesting audio quotes

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

Paul

Bobby Owsinski

In article .com,
"LightningRod" wrote:

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

Paul

Look on the Pro Sound News calendar. There's a couple every month.

--
Bobby Owsinski
Surround Associates
Ethan Winer

Paul,

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio

This is one of my favorites, from Craig Anderton writing in EQ magazine:

"No listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used."

--Ethan

Richard Crowley

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Paul,

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio

This is one of my favorites, from Craig Anderton writing in EQ
magazine:

"No listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used."

"Hardware without software is noware." One of my favorites. :-)

Rick Ruskin

Quotes from unknown producer:

1 - "When in doubt, leave it out."

2 - "Just shut the **** up and sing, you dumb son-of-a-bitch!"

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com

daz[at]roughdiamondmarketing[dot]com

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

'a diamond that is polished is enhanced : a turd is a turd no matter'

daz
lincoln uk

LightningRod wrote:
We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

Paul

Somebody contributed this one to r.a.p. a few years ago:
"One of the greatest lessons I ever learned in this business was "The
knobs turn in both directions". That's why it's called mixing,
otherwise we
would call it adding. --Wayne

Ralph Barone

wrote:

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

'a diamond that is polished is enhanced : a turd is a turd no matter'

daz
lincoln uk

From Fletcher, I believe:
Tuning and Timing are not cities in China...
Ricky Hunt

"Ralph Barone" wrote in message

From Fletcher, I believe:
Tuning and Timing are not cities in China...

There are some real gems he http://www.mixthis.com/quotes.html

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:09:21 GMT, "Ricky Hunt"
wrote:

There are some real gems he http://www.mixthis.com/quotes.html

Unbearably great stuff. Thanks so much; I'd lost this. Now I'm
inspired to find the Eugene Ormandy quotes. He rivaled Yogi Berra.
Will report back when found.

Chris Hornbeck

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:29:05 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

Unbearably great stuff. Thanks so much; I'd lost this. Now I'm
inspired to find the Eugene Ormandy quotes. He rivaled Yogi Berra.
Will report back when found.

html edited to text:

"Remarks made by Eugene Ormandy and collected
by the Philadelphia orchestra.

"Congratulations to each and every one of you for
the concert last night in New York and vice versa."

"Who is sitting in that empty chair?"

"I'm conducting slowly because I don't know the
tempo."

"I conduct faster so you can see my beat."

"I cannot give it to you, so try to watch me."

"I was trying to help you, so I was beating wrong."

"I am thinking it right but beating it wrong."

"I can conduct better than I count."

"I guess you thought I was conducting, but I wasn't."

"I purposefully didn't do anything, and you were all
behind."

"Why do you always insist on playing while I'm trying
to conduct?"

"Even when you are not playing you are holding me
back."

"Don't ever follow me, because I am difficult."

"It is not as difficult as I thought it was,
but it is harder than it is."

"The notes are right, but if I listened they would be wrong."

"I wrote it the right way, so it was copied the wrong
way right. I mean the right way wrong."

"At every concert I've sensed a certain insecurity
about the tempo. It's clearly marked 80...uh, 69."

"It is not together, but the ensemble is perfect."

"Someone came too sooner."

"Start beforty-two."

"Start three bars before something."

"Start at B. Yes. No. Yes. No."

"Did you play? It sounded very good."

"Intonation is important, especially when it is cold."

"Beauty is less important than quality."

"If you don't have it in your part, leave it out,
because there is enough missing already."

"Percussion a little louder." ["We don't have anything."]
"That's right, play it louder."

"More basses, because you are so far away."

"I need one more bass less."

"There are no woodwinds at number 6." [The woodwinds
say they are at number 15.] "I know. That is why."

(To the tubist) "Long note? Yes. Make it seem short."

"Brass, stay down all summer."

"Don't play louder, just give it more."

"Accelerando means in tempo. Don't rush."

"I don't want to repeat this a hundred times.
When you see crescendo it means p."

"The tempo remains pp."

"It's difficult to remember when you haven't played it before."

"We can't hear the balance yet because the soloist
is still on the airplane."

"Please follow me because I have to follow him and he
isn't here."

"Without him here, it is impossible to know how fast
he will play it, approximately."

"With us tonight is William Warfield, who is with us tonight.
He is a wonderful man, and so is his wife."

"Bizet was a very young man when he composed this
symphony, so play it soft."

Mahler wrote it as the third movement of his
Fourth Symphony. I mean the fourth movement of his
First Symphony. We play it third. The trumpet solo will be
played by our solo trumpet player. It's named "Blumine,"
which has something to do with flowers."

"That's the way Stravinsky was. Bup, Bup, Bup, Bup.
The poor guy's dead now. Play it legato."

"Serkin was so sick he almost died for three days."

"It's all very well to have principles but when it comes
to money you have to be flexible."

"Thank you for your cooperation and vice versa."

"I mean what I meant."

"I never say what I mean, but I always manage to say
something similar."

"Let me explain what I do here. I don't want to confuse you
any more than absolutely necessary."

"I don't mean to make you nervous, but unfortunately
I have to."

"Relax. Don't be nervous.
My god, it's the Philadelphia Orchestra." "

Chris Hornbeck
Ben Bradley

On Sat, 14 May 2005 03:44:26 GMT, Ralph Barone

wrote:

We'd like to put a few interesting quotes about audio (not music) on
our site. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

'a diamond that is polished is enhanced : a turd is a turd no matter'

daz
lincoln uk

From Fletcher, I believe:
Tuning and Timing are not cities in China...

We could make a whole thread of Fletcherisms. The one I remeber
best has to do with how to listen: "Use your buccaneers!"

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 14 May 2005 05:20:05 GMT, Ben Bradley
wrote:

We could make a whole thread of Fletcherisms. The one I remeber
best has to do with how to listen: "Use your buccaneers!"

Or even his (****. can't remember the name)'s: for example;
IMNSFHO.

Tough love,

Chris Hornbeck
"That's the way Stravinsky was. Bup, Bup, Bup, Bup.
The poor guy's dead now. Play it legato." -Eugene Ormandy
Bob Cain

Ricky Hunt wrote:
"Ralph Barone" wrote in message

From Fletcher, I believe:
Tuning and Timing are not cities in China...

There are some real gems he http://www.mixthis.com/quotes.html

That anyone could think as fast as Frank Zappa completely
blows my mind.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Lorin David Schultz

"Ben Bradley" wrote:

We could make a whole thread of Fletcherisms. The one I remeber
best has to do with how to listen: "Use your buccaneers!"

If he used that, he owes me royalties. I patented the "Pirate Method"
of evaluation.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good