Ty Ford

Default Who asks for a U 87?

After seeing this link meander and die this past week. It occurred to me that
I'm not usually asked, but offer the info up front when someone calls to ask
about my studio.

I don't have a U 87 at present. I do have a very nicely mated U 89. I'm
working with a group and vocalist right now who is very aware of the name
Neumann and by comparing the tracks recorded by her band members which she
brings to me to mix, the difference is astoundingly obvious. I don't know
what he's using, but it sounds quite nasty. She can certainly hear the
difference and just yesterday mentioned part of the reason she liked
recording here was the Neumann.

When doing location audio gigs, I mention Schoeps and Sennheiser 416 and make
a point of mentioning it's much better than an ME66.

So, the gear you use and the way you use it....yes, I think it makes a
difference. Sure, you could make a U 87 sound like crap by putting it through
some lame mic pre or by other destructive elements in the signal chain, but I
digress.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com