Default figure-8 for this?

let's say you are in a live sound situation. and you wanted to mic
something "flat" like a xylophone.

would a figure-8 be good? i would think you would get the
straight-down sound (which is what you want) and the other side of the
mic would pick up the "ceiling" (who cares?) and then on the sides of
the mic you would have nulls so you would minimize feedback/interaction
with the loudspeakers/crowd.

true/false?

TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
let's say you are in a live sound situation. and you wanted to mic
something "flat" like a xylophone.

would a figure-8 be good? i would think you would get the
straight-down sound (which is what you want) and the other side of the
mic would pick up the "ceiling" (who cares?) and then on the sides of
the mic you would have nulls so you would minimize feedback/interaction
with the loudspeakers/crowd.

true/false?

i think the rear lobe would tend to enhance feedback.

i think standard percussion mic techniques would be best

Julian

wrote in message
oups.com...
let's say you are in a live sound situation. and you wanted to mic
something "flat" like a xylophone.

would a figure-8 be good? i would think you would get the
straight-down sound (which is what you want) and the other side of the
mic would pick up the "ceiling" (who cares?) and then on the sides of
the mic you would have nulls so you would minimize feedback/interaction
with the loudspeakers/crowd.

true/false?

The 2 sides are out of phase with each other. I usually mix mono PA. That
could be a problem, or would it, Bob? (Bob's fond of advising me against
mono).

I'd think you'd be better off with 2 hyper cardioids like the EV ND 767's
pointing away from each other 120 degrees. Another nice thing about these
is the feedback null is not directly to the back of the mic, and I think you
could get better positioning for feedback prevention AND point them DOWN so
you wouldn't be pointing them at the ceiling either.

Julian

Julian

"SSJVCmag" wrote

true/false?

True EXCEPT for the 'who cares' what's bouncing off the ceiling...

Exactly. Why would you want that in your PA mix?

Julian

if it's not a very loud performance, with most of the sound pointed
into the audience, and the ceiling is quite tall, that bounce would
only be a small fraction of the sound compared to what is getting
picked up on the "intended" side.

Julian

wrote in message
oups.com...
if it's not a very loud performance, with most of the sound pointed
into the audience, and the ceiling is quite tall, that bounce would
only be a small fraction of the sound compared to what is getting
picked up on the "intended" side.

I can only assume for the OP's original statement:

"Oh, and if there are drums playing on stage, try to place the vibes far
away from it..."

that we are talking a situation where leakage is a concern. While what you
say is true enough in a tightly controlled recording environment in a live
stage setup with drums, vocal monitors or other instruments getting a tight
pattern in the vibes could be very helpful.

Julian

no drums, no vocal monitors involved

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message oups.com...
no drums, no vocal monitors involved

You should be in great shape then.... still, I might come a little closer
to the vibes than if you were looking at them as 'overheads' placement.

You would also have some room to move that pattern to 45-degrees
or so off of the idea of pointing it straight down at the instrument...
depending on the acoustics and reflectivity of the surfaces close to
the area where the instrument is set up.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Dave Martin

I'd go for spaced cardioids. That works fine, in my experience.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

wrote in message
oups.com...
let's say you are in a live sound situation. and you wanted to mic
something "flat" like a xylophone.

would a figure-8 be good? i would think you would get the
straight-down sound (which is what you want) and the other side of the
mic would pick up the "ceiling" (who cares?) and then on the sides of
the mic you would have nulls so you would minimize feedback/interaction
with the loudspeakers/crowd.

true/false?

Sub Amps - a Follow up Question T Tech 26 April 29th 05 05:26 PM
AKG 414 in figure of 8 Jim Pro Audio 17 February 28th 05 08:17 AM
Where are those Wascally Weapons of Mass Destwuction??? Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 1094 September 9th 03 02:20 AM
Searching schematics to build figure eight mic with Panasonic capsules Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 4 August 27th 03 03:26 PM