Chris M

Default Recording with a Digitech RPx400

I am a newb when it comes to recording to PC. I have played guitar
since before Bill Gates ripped off DOS though, and I am fairly
knowledgeable of most traditional audio setups. I started out with
Audition 1.5 and Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I prefer GTP for mixing
but if I am doing any wave edits I obviously need something else and
that is when I use Audition.

I have a Soundblaster MP3+ and initially I simply ran the guitar to the
SB input to lay down the guitar track. Some times it worked ok (barely)
and other times it sucked beyond belief. On top of that I wanted to lay
down tracks while listening to existing tracks and obviously I can't do
that because of the latency.

I am hoping that the Digitech RPx400 solves both problems. I considered
the GNx series too but they are so expensive. If I need to, I will
exchange the RPx400 for a GNx 3 or GNx2000. Each of those are alleged
to have similar recording capabilities.

My questions concern the array of connections available on these units.
I think I understand the purpose of an XLR mic input but I don't get it
when it comes to output. What I would like to know is how some of you
have set up systems with these components. I know I get some bundled
software with the RPx400 but can I use Audition and or GTP3? Where can
I read about some ideas on setting up these components? Are there any
FAQs or forums dedicated to any of these devices?

TIA