Phoenix

Default Latency question for firewire users

I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.
Bob Savage

"Phoenix" wrote in message
I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

I don't know about the M-Audio adapter, but I have an RME Fireface and can
use 2.x ms latency even on somewhat large projects.

--
http://www.bobsavage.net

Phoenix

Bob Savage wrote:
"Phoenix" wrote in message

I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

I don't know about the M-Audio adapter, but I have an RME Fireface and can
use 2.x ms latency even on somewhat large projects.

Is that WDM or ASIO?
Bob Savage

"Phoenix" wrote in message
Is that WDM or ASIO?

ASIO. I haven't done much/any testing with WDM.

--
http://www.bobsavage.net

hefalump

Uzytkownik "Phoenix" napisal w
wiadomosci news:Mt6ge.584$1f5.340@trndny01...
I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

* As low as on M-Audio delta (PCI) on Mackie Onyx. Can be set (and its
working excellent)
even lower.

kisses

Phoenix

hefalump wrote:
Uzytkownik "Phoenix" napisal w
wiadomosci news:Mt6ge.584$1f5.340@trndny01...

I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

* As low as on M-Audio delta (PCI) on Mackie Onyx. Can be set (and its
working excellent)
even lower.

kisses

Thankz, Hef. M-Audio informs me that I can sync it to my Audiophile
2496 via S/PDIF, so it should do the job, if I understand them correctly.
Vinny

Phoenix wrote:
I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like
to know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing
more outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the
mixer temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW
410 will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency
it gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my
desktop, will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

MOTU 828mkII, not FW410... but I'm reliable @ sub 5.8ms latency with it
on my desktop DAW. Works pretty good on the laptop too, but I never
stress it then because I'm not using any effects.
Vinny

MOTU 828mkII, not FW410... but I'm reliable @ sub 5.8ms latency with it
on my desktop DAW. Works pretty good on the laptop too, but I never
stress it then because I'm not using any effects.

.... on Sonar 4.02, both machines.
Steven Bell

I'm doing a live recording where I'm mixing FOH as well (with SONAR).
I'm using two 828mkII units with Input Monitoring so I can EQ and compress a
little.

My system (Dell Inspiron 5100 2.4Ghz) wasn't able to handle the task of
monitor sends so they are sent via QueMix and routed to a pre amp with EQ.

14 tracks, one main. latency around 4ms. CPU sits around 30%.

Steven

"Vinny" wrote in message
m...
Phoenix wrote:
I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like to
know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing more
outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the mixer
temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW 410
will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency it
gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my desktop,
will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

MOTU 828mkII, not FW410... but I'm reliable @ sub 5.8ms latency with it on
my desktop DAW. Works pretty good on the laptop too, but I never stress
it then because I'm not using any effects.

Phoenix

Steven Bell wrote:
I'm doing a live recording where I'm mixing FOH as well (with SONAR).
I'm using two 828mkII units with Input Monitoring so I can EQ and compress a
little.

My system (Dell Inspiron 5100 2.4Ghz) wasn't able to handle the task of
monitor sends so they are sent via QueMix and routed to a pre amp with EQ.

14 tracks, one main. latency around 4ms. CPU sits around 30%.

Steven

"Vinny" wrote in message
m...

Phoenix wrote:

I'm going to get an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my laptop, and would like to
know if it will solve my desktop issues as well, which is needing more
outputs for my mixer, so I can adjust different channels in the mixer
temporarily without having to alter them in Sonar. I know the FW 410
will give me the outputs; what I don't know is what kind of latency it
gets. On my laptop any change will be an improvement, but on my desktop,
will using the 410 mean I have to raise the latency?
So I'd like to hear from firewire users, particularly if you have the FW
410, and use Sonar.

MOTU 828mkII, not FW410... but I'm reliable @ sub 5.8ms latency with it on
my desktop DAW. Works pretty good on the laptop too, but I never stress
it then because I'm not using any effects.

OK, that answers that question. Thanks, guys. Now I just have to sort
out whether the FW 410 will be reliable. The Guitar Center guy rattled
me when he told me recently people have been returning them.

Steven Bell

A lot of people returned them at first. Their drivers were not ready for
prime time.
I haven't heard anything lately.

Steven
OK, that answers that question. Thanks, guys. Now I just have to sort
out whether the FW 410 will be reliable. The Guitar Center guy rattled me
when he told me recently people have been returning them.

Phoenix

Steven Bell wrote:
A lot of people returned them at first. Their drivers were not ready for
prime time.
I haven't heard anything lately.

Steven

OK, that answers that question. Thanks, guys. Now I just have to sort
out whether the FW 410 will be reliable. The Guitar Center guy rattled me
when he told me recently people have been returning them.

Thanks, Steven. That jibes with the reviews I read on Musicians'
Friend's site. The few negative reviews there were fairly early on. I
guess the GC guys wouldn't have known just when the units came back. I
am hoping the 410 will work because it would be the most cost-effective
and versatile solution.