Default Extending Firewire and SPDIF using cannon Type connectors

Hey all,

I just found something that could theoretically make setting up at my
live recording gigs much easier. I found panel mounted cannon type
connectors that will alow me to mount firewire jacks on my cases. The
theory goes like this: The firewire cable will go from my computer to
one cannon jack on the outside of one case, from that connector on the
inside of the case to Lacie hard drive from that lacie hard drive to
the lacie burner to another cannon jack on the inside of that same
case. Then I can plug an additional firewire cable from the outside of
that case to the next case which houses my Metric Halo ULN-2. This
will hopefully allow me to setup quicker and without finding my
flashlight under the gun. I do a lot of this stuff! I am wondering if
anyone has used these and can come up with any solid issues with audio
on firewire making 5 extra connections. I still think I would be able
to keep the total cable distance under 6 feet.

I would also like to do the same thing with very short SPDIF cables
from RME Digiface or ULN-2 to CD Safety burner using panel mounted RCA
to RCA canon connectors. Again, does anyone forsee any issues.

Thanks in advance

Cameron

Richard Crowley

cwiley wrote ...
[presumably Neutrik RJ45 connectors in "XLR"-style shells]
I am wondering if anyone has used these and can come up
with any solid issues with audio on firewire making 5 extra
connections.

You want to clarify this statement/question? You want to run
firewire signals through RJ45 connectors (the simple plastic
comptuer LAN kind or the Neutrik "XLR"-style)?

What do you mean by "5 extra connections"?

I still think I would be able to keep the total cable distance
under 6 feet.

Maybe a factor and maybe not. But dependent on clarifying
what you are proposing to do.

I would also like to do the same thing with very short SPDIF
cables from RME Digiface or ULN-2 to CD Safety burner
using panel mounted RCA to RCA canon connectors. Again,
does anyone forsee any issues.

Explain what you mean by a "RCA to RCA canon connector"?
Citing make/model numbers would be extraordinarily helpful.

I have just used BNC for this application. Cheap, reilable,
readily available, positive locking, etc. etc. etc. I have known
people who even used BNC to replace RCA connectors for
these same benefits.

Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Hey all,

I just found something that could theoretically make setting up at my
live recording gigs much easier. I found panel mounted cannon type
connectors

What do you mean by *Cannon* connectors ? Many different types were
made by
the company I'm most familiar with as 'ITT Cannon'.

Presumably he means the Neutrik RJ-45 connectors in an
"XLR"-style shell
http://www.clarkwire.com/catNeutrikRJ45.htm
(middle of the page)

Since it's an audio newsgroup I assume you mean XLR type connectors. I
can't see them being suitable for use as Firewire extensions though.

They *are* used for AES/EBU signals but spdif is normally on
unbalanced
coax or optical !

Graham

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I just found something that could theoretically make setting up at my
live recording gigs much easier. I found panel mounted cannon type
connectors that will alow me to mount firewire jacks on my cases. The
theory goes like this: The firewire cable will go from my computer to
one cannon jack on the outside of one case, from that connector on the
inside of the case to Lacie hard drive from that lacie hard drive to
the lacie burner to another cannon jack on the inside of that same
case. Then I can plug an additional firewire cable from the outside of
that case to the next case which houses my Metric Halo ULN-2. This
will hopefully allow me to setup quicker and without finding my
flashlight under the gun.

This is all pretty blurry (without a flashlight). Are you asking about
making a Firewire connector panel using the newfangled XLR-style
housing for a Firewire connector, and putting this panel on the back
of a rack housing your computer?

I suppose you could do that. The Neutrik EtherCon assembly (an RJ45 in
an XLR type housing) is designed to be more break-resistant than a
bare RJ45 connector, but it offers no advantages in making things
easier to find and set up.

I would also like to do the same thing with very short SPDIF cables
from RME Digiface or ULN-2 to CD Safety burner using panel mounted RCA
to RCA canon connectors. Again, does anyone forsee any issues.

I'd use BNCs instead. Reliable, the correct impedance, and 75 ohm
cables with BNC plugs on one end and RCA plugs on the other end are
available off the shelf. I don't know of an RCA (or any coaxial, for
that matter) connector built into an XLR-style shell at this time.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Thanks again for your replies,

The firewire jacks have nothing to do with RJ45 connectors. The
markertek part number is Switchcraft EHFW2. It is 6 pin firewire on
both sides of the panel mount jack. There is also a FW6-BLCM made by
L-com, and also sold by Markertek. Here is the link:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=98&sort=prod

The SPDIF connector is sold by markertek. Again it is RCA female to
RCA Female panel mount. That part number is CV-C410GBL. The catalog
doesn't say who makes it. I could also use the switchcraft EHRCA2 .
This would all be unbalanced using 75ohm mogami cable. I could use the
neutrikCA-NF2DBLK and solder my cable on one side to this jack. I am
fairly certain this would work under six feet.

Cameron

Mike,

"Cannon" is simply what they Markertek calls the connector in their
catalog. Again, we're talking 6 pin firewire style connector. I am a
little curious why you would want to convert a standard firewire
connection to an RJ45 style connector. I consider myself to to be a
pretty damn good solderer, but I would rather not have to solder these
firewire connectors, having never done one before.

Adding these jacks would make life much easier since all of the gear
inside the case will have it's connectors mounted on the outside side
of the rack instead of deep within my racks . It will make setup time
much faster.

Thanks for your response.

Cameron

Cameron

Pooh Bear

Thanks again for your replies,

The firewire jacks have nothing to do with RJ45 connectors. The
markertek part number is Switchcraft EHFW2. It is 6 pin firewire on
both sides of the panel mount jack. There is also a FW6-BLCM made by
L-com, and also sold by Markertek. Here is the link:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=98&sort=prod

Sorry your link doesn't work.

The SPDIF connector is sold by markertek. Again it is RCA female to
RCA Female panel mount. That part number is CV-C410GBL. The catalog
doesn't say who makes it. I could also use the switchcraft EHRCA2 .
This would all be unbalanced using 75ohm mogami cable.

Do you think the make of cable will influence the data ?

I could use the
neutrikCA-NF2DBLK and solder my cable on one side to this jack. I am
fairly certain this would work under six feet.

Without looking up all those parts I'm pretty lost as to what you're on
about.

Graham

Richard Crowley

cwiley wrote:
Thanks again for your replies,
The firewire jacks have nothing to do with RJ45 connectors.
The markertek part number is Switchcraft EHFW2. It is 6 pin
firewire on both sides of the panel mount jack.

The page shows XLR-style "Switchcraft Barrel Connectors":
female panel-mount shells with various kinds of connectors
mounted within and recessed to protect them from road-rash:
* Firewire (6-pin version)
* USB-A
* USB-B
* 4-pin Mini-DIN (for Y/C video)
* BNC
* RCA
* 3.5mm (1/8 inch) mini-phone.

In answer to your original questions:

Yes I would think that using these connectors on your road
cases for quick setup is exactly what they were made for.

It should make no difference whatsoever whether the data
going through the Firewire cable/connectors is audio or
anything else.

The downside of the arrangement is several more connectors
in the path which have the effect of reducing the reliability of
the system because you are adding potential points of failure.

I'd still use BNC for SPDIF as it is more rugged, reliable and
positive-latching than RCA would ever hope to be.

Nevertheless, if you use good-quality cables (NOT necessarily
"premium", "boutique" ,"snake-oil", "famous-name" cables)
then the overall benefit is positive IMHO. I would do it, but
I would carry spare cables (both internal and external)
Mike Rivers

In article . com writes:

"Cannon" is simply what they Markertek calls the connector in their
catalog.

'scuse me. I didn't follow the Markertek link. I thought I knew what
you were talking about.

Again, we're talking 6 pin firewire style connector. I am a
little curious why you would want to convert a standard firewire
connection to an RJ45 style connector.

You woudn't - then it wouldn't be a Firewire connector. However,
Neutrik (and I believe at least one other company) has made an insert
for the XLR style connector shell (like a standard microphone
connector, in case you're not sure what I'm talking about - these
are sometimes called "Cannon" from the original manufacturer of that
connector) that holds a standard crimp-on RJ45 connector. The idea is
to surround this all plastic and somewhat fragile connector with a
metal shell so that it won't be damaged by careless handling. I've
heard that this same concept has been applied to the Firewire and USB
connectors also (I thought Neutrik was making those, but I can't find
them on their web page), and I thought that was what you were asking
about.

Here's a link to the Neutrik RJ45 version so you can see what I
thought you meant (only in a Firewire version).

http://www.neutrikusa.com/content/Pr...2id=204_170351

Adding these jacks would make life much easier since all of the gear
inside the case will have it's connectors mounted on the outside side
of the rack instead of deep within my racks . It will make setup time
much faster.

Now I understand. What you want is known as a connector panel.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Kurt Albershardt

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

And here's a link to the 1394 version (only panel-mount thus far, no
cable ends yet)
http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/products_group.asp?level2id=204_1440392726