Norman M. Schwartz

Default Crossover Sources?

I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
Standard lists for $2000.
Kalman Rubinson

On 9 May 2005 23:57:38 GMT, "Norman M. Schwartz"
wrote:

I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
Standard lists for $2000.

Try www.marchand.com and search also the PA and studio websites.

Kal
Russ Button

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:
I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
Standard lists for $2000.

If you can find your way to fabricating interconnects with XLR connectors
at one end and RCA at the other, or have them made, I think you'd be
surprised to find just how good a Behringer crossover can be. A 2-way
Behringer CX2310 is all of $89 at Musiciansfriend.com. How can it be
so cheap? Chinese labor... Seriously. All this stuff made in China is
incredibly low priced. I ran one for a while in my home system and it
worked just fine. Phase corrected crossover is Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave.

You can vary the crossover point and gain levels in each stage. It also
has a summed mono sub-woofer output. That's a lot of electronics for
$89. And if you don't like it, you can EBay the thing and you're out not
more than $30 maybe.

Another good source, probably more to what you're looking for, is Marchand
Electronics. He makes excellent crossovers, with fixed points/slopes with
Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave. He also has one that is 48 db/octave. And there's
a much more pricey tube based crossover he does if you are up for the price
of about $1500.

http://www.marchandelec.com/

Russ
Norman M. Schwartz

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of
my
loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to
nearly
half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
Standard lists for $2000.

Thanks for your kind help Messrs. Rubinson and Button. I completed an order
at Marchand Electronics for a x-over. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but
still about the cost 1/3 of a Bryston. The people at Marchand appear to be
very cordial and pleasant to deal with.