Default Cubase sx and Behringer DD3216 / Yamaha 03D

Hello all,

The query I have is whether the Behringer DD3216 digital desk can be
used with Cubase sx in such a way as to link the onscreen soft-faders
with the faders on the mixer.

Can the mixer faders be used to send midi control messages to control
the cubase faders?

On a similar topic, a friend offered me a Yamaha 03D desk for a few
hundred... could this do what I need i.e. control the faders?

Cheers

Dave

Jim Savery

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

The query I have is whether the Behringer DD3216 digital desk can be
used with Cubase sx in such a way as to link the onscreen soft-faders
with the faders on the mixer.

Can the mixer faders be used to send midi control messages to control
the cubase faders?

On a similar topic, a friend offered me a Yamaha 03D desk for a few
hundred... could this do what I need i.e. control the faders?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave. We have two Cubase templates for download on the DDX3216 main
page. They are set up to do what you asked above. You can also use
Cubase's MIDI "Learn" function to create the mappings and templates you
want.

http://www.behringer.com/DDX3216/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Best Regards,

Jim Savery
Global Customer Support Manager
BEHRINGER The Americas
BEHRINGER USA, Inc
Tel: +01-425-672-0816 x 111
Direct Dial: +01-425-939-3216
Fax: +01-425-673-7647
IP Phone Ext: 5024

http://www.behringer.com

Jim Savery wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your reply. However I read the following from a review of
the DDX3216 on a website...

"Unfortunately, there's no MIDI fader layer to allow remote control of
external devices (such as digital-audio-workstation onscreen mixers);
however, the DDX3216's transport buttons can control other devices
using MIDI Machine Control"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._92187880/pg_2

Is this the case and if so, how does this tally with your advice?

Many thanks

David

Jim Savery

wrote in message
oups.com...
[snipped for brevity_JS]

Thanks for your reply. However I read the following from a review of
the DDX3216 on a website...

"Unfortunately, there's no MIDI fader layer to allow remote control of
external devices (such as digital-audio-workstation onscreen mixers);
however, the DDX3216's transport buttons can control other devices
using MIDI Machine Control"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._92187880/pg_2

Is this the case and if so, how does this tally with your advice?

Many thanks

David

Hi David. I looked at that link to an Oct 2002 article/review. Quoted
from that article, the following statement is incorrect:

"Unfortunately, there's no MIDI fader layer to allow remote control of
external devices (such as digital-audio-workstation onscreen mixers);
however, the DDX3216's transport buttons can control other devices
using MIDI Machine Control"

Contrary to this statement, the DDX definitely does have a MIDI fader layer
and it will control software applications that can use/translate the MIDI
commands generated by the DDX. I'll be happy to email you the MIDI
Implementation Chart for the DDX3216 - just drop me a line at the office.
Or you can get it online in the back of the DDX3216 owner's manual at
http://www.behringer.com/DDX3216/index.cfm?lang=ENG under the "Downloads"
section.

As noted previously, templates for Cubase/Logic are on our website. These
utilize the MIDI commands detailed in the MIDI Implementation Guide I
mentioned, and using the MIDI "learn" functionality common to many other
software applications can get the DDX configured for controlling their
software mixers as well.
The DDX will in fact transmit MIDI Control Change commands - e.g. for
controlling the 'virtual' faders onscreen in an application like Cubase.
The DDX will also receive similar MIDI commands - e.g. for controlling the
DDX's hardware faders from the 'virtual' faders in an application like
Cubase. However, the DDX will not transmit and receive MIDI commands for
fader control simultaneously without creating a "midi feedback loop". This
fact and other variables are what make our B-Control series more suitable
for "full" control surface applications for audio software. The MIDI
feedback loop has been mitigated in these products through implementation of
a MIDI Data Interval not integral to the design of the DDX3216.

The MIDI Implementation Chart (again, found in the back of the DDX3216
owner's manual at http://www.behringer.com/DDX3216/index.cfm?lang=ENG under
the "Downloads" section) details which actual MIDI message is sent/received
for a given DDX hardware fader. If the audio software is configured to
send/receive the associated MIDI command for a given fader, control of the
associated fader is possible. Typical DDX setup for engaging the MIDI
Control Change commands for DAW control applications is as follows:

-press the MMC/MIDI button until the "SETUP" page is displayed
-using the master controller beneath the "RECEIVE CHANNEL" in the display,
turn the knob until the appropriate MIDI channel is displayed, or choose
OMNI to receive MIDI data on all channels.
-press the MMC/MIDI button until the "RX/TX" page is displayed
-using the master controller beneath the display, turn the knob until the
CONTROL CHANGE parameter is outlined/selected
-using the master controller beneath the display, push-in the master
controller to select CONTROL CHANGE "TX" (transmit) or "RX" (receive). "TX"
will allow the MIDI Control Change commands generated by moving hardware
controls/faders on the DDX to be transmitted out to a software application.
"RX" will allow the DDX to receive these commands from a software
application that has been setup to transmit appropriate commands for the
desired control/fader.

I hope that helps you out. I need to go soak both of my typing fingers now!

Best Regards,

Jim Savery
Global Customer Support Manager
BEHRINGER The Americas
BEHRINGER USA, Inc
Tel: +01-425-672-0816 x 111
Direct Dial: +01-425-939-3216
Fax: +01-425-673-7647
IP Phone Ext: 5024

http://www.behringer.com

This email is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) named above and may
contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not among the
intended recipients, you may not copy, utilize or distribute any of the
information contained herein. If you have received this email in error,
please notify us immediately via return email and delete the original from
your mailbox. Thank you.