truegridtz

Default 82 mercury rectifier

As far as I can tell the number 82 rectifier was intended to be mercury
filled from the beginning.

I have encounter several 82s that do not have mercury in them. One was a
KenRad from the 40s or possibly older).

As I recall the mercury stabilizes the output under heavy load. So the
non-mercury 82 is not the same tube under heavy load.

Anyone know why the mercury is left out of the tube? Is it because the
manuf. doesn't really care, or is there some other reason?

Mark

cowboy

"truegridtz" wrote
As far as I can tell the number 82 rectifier was intended to be mercury
filled from the beginning.

I have encounter several 82s that do not have mercury in them. One was a
KenRad from the 40s or possibly older).

As I recall the mercury stabilizes the output under heavy load. So the
non-mercury 82 is not the same tube under heavy load.

Anyone know why the mercury is left out of the tube? Is it because the
manuf. doesn't really care, or is there some other reason?

Mark

the 82 is the 2.5V filament version of the 83, it is also physically
smaller, since it typically uses the ST-14 glass envelope, whereas the 83
uses the larger ST-16 envelope that is familiar to every TV-7 owner.

the 82 is much more rare than 83 these days, are you sure they are not the 5
volt 83's that you are looking at?

all 82's and 83's had mercury in them from the factory, there was never such
a beast as a "non-mercury 82" (or 83)

if the mercury is not visible, it either leaked out at some point, or is
"hiding" in areas of the tube you cannot see!

if the mercury is really missing, then the tube is leaky and potential
hazardous, I would throw it away, especially since it will not operate
correctly without its mercury anyway. If it has a cool blue glow when in
use, then the mercury is still in there.

cheers!

cowboy

Stephen F. Marsh

Do not throw out a mercury-containing tube into the trash. That is
irresponsible. Same goes for other mercury-containing products
(thermometers, thermostats, fluorescent bulbs, some older batteries).

Contact your local government's solid waste or recycling office and ask for
the location of your hazardous waste disposal facility for the public. My
area has a facility open Saturday mornings from April through October for
residential disposal of hazardous waste. The disposal cost is paid for by
local taxes.

Steve

if the mercury is really missing, then the tube is leaky and potential
hazardous, I would throw it away, especially since it will not operate
correctly without its mercury anyway. If it has a cool blue glow when in
use, then the mercury is still in there.

cheers!

cowboy

Mark S

"cowboy" cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
"truegridtz" wrote
[...]

Had a look at my old Sylvania tube manual, there were apparently "V"
versions of the 82 & 83 that were heater cathode types..much like a 5V4. I
would think though that they would have been labeled as such..83V ect. Best
way is to look for the color in operation like cowboy mentioned.
MarkS