lm

Default Monitors for mastering

Hi to all RAP's users,

Is it possible to find a monitor's system (active preferred, but nothing
against passive) good enough for mastering in the $3500/$5000 price range ?

I know that the room will be the main thing and it will be checked by an
acoustic's tech before installing gear.

It's a little room with strange trapezoidal proportions ( L=20' W=12' at
one wall 10' at the other Ceiling= 10').

I'll certainly go to AES in Barcelona, so I'll be able to hear some monitors
(like Focal, Quested, and others) that I can't hear at my usual audio shops.

What models should I consider which could fit my budget ?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards,

Laurent.

Scott Dorsey

lm wrote:

Is it possible to find a monitor's system (active preferred, but nothing
against passive) good enough for mastering in the $3500/$5000 price range ?

I know that the room will be the main thing and it will be checked by an
acoustic's tech before installing gear.

It's a little room with strange trapezoidal proportions ( L=20' W=12' at
one wall 10' at the other Ceiling= 10').

I'll certainly go to AES in Barcelona, so I'll be able to hear some monitors
(like Focal, Quested, and others) that I can't hear at my usual audio shops.

What models should I consider which could fit my budget ?

Sadly I won't be at the AES show, but I suggest you give a listen to the
Gethein monitors and see if the Stage Accompany folks are there.

Also don't forget that there are a lot of high end audio speakers that
may be worth giving a listen to, and that stuff will not be available
at the show, but will be shown in Paris at the show that L'Audiophile
does every year.

lm

"Scott Dorsey" a écrit dans le message de news:
Sadly I won't be at the AES show, but I suggest you give a listen to the
Gethein monitors and see if the Stage Accompany folks are there.

Also don't forget that there are a lot of high end audio speakers that
may be worth giving a listen to, and that stuff will not be available
at the show, but will be shown in Paris at the show that L'Audiophile
does every year.

Thanks for your answer Scott,
As ever, very helpful.
I did a quick Google search about SA, and I got a lot of infos about them
and I'll try to have an ear.
But for Gethein the only web pages I could find mentionning them were
previous AES show's reports by someone named "Scott Dorsey"...
The fact you said their show was at a reasonable level was already a good
point for me.
I hope they'll have a booth at AES, because the main thing for me will be
to listen to.
I guess an AES show is certainly not the best place for listening, but for
me it's one of the rare occasion to hear all those kind of gear.
As I live in Toulouse (South West of France), Barcelona is really closer
from me than Paris, but I'll keep in mind L'Audiophile's show (I'm not in a
hurry to buy).

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Laurent.

Johann Burkard

lm wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" a écrit dans le message de news:
Sadly I won't be at the AES show, but I suggest you give a listen to the
Gethein monitors and see if the Stage Accompany folks are there.

But for Gethein the only web pages I could find mentionning them were
previous AES show's reports by someone named "Scott Dorsey"...

They're called Geithain [1] monitors :-)

[1] http://www.me-geithain.de/

Johann
--
weil es sie GAR NICHT UNBEDINGT INTERESSIERT UND WEIL SIE NUR EINE
PRIMITIVE SITTEN- UND USENETPLATZ- UND WAERTERTUMgarde DARSTELLEN, was
Scott Dorsey

lm wrote:
I took a look at their site (and at Peerless Mastering's site who uses 4 of
them).
It looks really fine. But as ever I'll need to be able to listen to make an
opinion.
Hope they'll be in AES.

They won't be, but historically I think SLS has made monitors that were
based around the Stage Accompany tweeter. When SA had some difficulties
shipping product in the US, SLS started making their own based around a
similar design. Alcons is now also selling some speakers based on the SA
ribbon tweeter design.

I think the SLS speakers are generally narrower disperson than the SA stuff,
which could be a good or a bad thing.

SLS will probably be showing in NYC in the fall but they don't normally
get to the European shows. M+K does, though, and their stuff is also
worth auditioning.

It's really hard to find places where you can hear (and above all, compare)
high end pro audio gear here in Toulouse.

Look at the high end home market a bit as well.

i found that things really got "killer" at "around $5000". that could
mean $3700-6000.

i'm in a long-range hunt to get a killer set myself, and i found that
it was that price point that things jumped from workingman's quality to
"wow".

lm

"Johann Burkard" a écrit dans le message de news:
They're called Geithain [1] monitors :-)

[1] http://www.me-geithain.de/

Johann
--

Hey Johann,

Thanks for the link.
I really hope I can listen to them.

Do you own one of these ones ?

Animix

I use NHT A-20's combined with the NHT B-20 stereo subwoofers. No complaints
here. Total system came in around $3000.00.

http://www.nhtpro.com/mixing.html

Looks like the A-20's have been replaced with something I've never heard of
called the M-60Xd. but if you can find an A-20/B-20 combo somewhere, you can
use it to master. Very honest and accurate if given room to breath in a
midfield configuration in a large room. The metal domed tweeter can get a
bit fatiguing in nearfield situations.

DJ

?

I know that the room will be the main thing and it will be checked by an
acoustic's tech before installing gear.

It's a little room with strange trapezoidal proportions ( L=20' W=12' at
one wall 10' at the other Ceiling= 10').

I'll certainly go to AES in Barcelona, so I'll be able to hear some

monitors
(like Focal, Quested, and others) that I can't hear at my usual audio

shops.

What models should I consider which could fit my budget ?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards,

Laurent.

Scott Dorsey

Jay Levitt wrote:
In article , says...
I think the SLS speakers are generally narrower disperson than the SA stuff,
which could be a good or a bad thing.

Oh, that's interesting. I know there was some talk of an optional
shorter tweeter for wider dispersion on the SLS; is the SA shorter by
chance? I know the sweet spot for my current studio is certainly tiny,
but I'm also only 5-6 feet from the monitors.

I don't know what the current line is, but before the dealer network collapse,
SA had two basic PA tweeter designs, one with a longer tweeter and one with
a shorter one. The shorter one was used on the larger mastering monitors,
and it had wider dispersion than the SLS. But, the smaller mastering
monitors used an older ribbon design that wasn't related to either one,
which I thought sounded a little smoother in the very top octave, and
that also had wider dispersion.

Now that SA is sort of coming back into business after the disaster, I am
not sure how much of the line they have dropped.

They also sold some lower end monitors which were built from cheaper
cabinets than the mastering monitors but which used the same components.
I don't know if they actually sold any, come to think of it. But they
were in the catalogue.

Incidentally, Griffin is selling a really interesting mastering monitor
based on the SA tweeter... Francis Manzella is selling them in the US
and will probably have tours of the Masterdisk room using them at the
New York show. The bass is tuned to be kind of flabby for my tastes,
but that was the request of the guy getting the thing installed and not
rncessarily representative of the speakers.
MC

I've worked on them. They're cool.

Johann Burkard wrote:
lm wrote:
"Johann Burkard" a =E9crit dans le message

de news:
They're called Geithain [1] monitors :-)

[1] http://www.me-geithain.de/

Do you own one of these ones ?

No :-)

Johann
--
weil es sie GAR NICHT UNBEDINGT INTERESSIERT UND WEIL SIE NUR EINE
PRIMITIVE SITTEN- UND USENETPLATZ- UND WAERTERTUMgarde DARSTELLEN,

was
zur ZUR SOZIALEN KONTROLLE von FABELHAFTEN schreibgeistern dienen

solle
(Ursula Sch=FCpbach in )

manu

I also suggest giving a try to A2T monitoring systems

http://www.a2tproduction.com/pro_a2t.htm

bye