Locsmándi Bence

Default Guitar sound secret - Twin Peaks

Hi!

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Bence

Locsmándi Bence

Or is that a guitar and (let's say) a piano together, heavily compressed???

b.

"Locsmándi Bence" az alábbiakat írta a következő
hírüzenetben: ...
Hi!

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Bence

SSJVCmag

On 5/5/05 6:51 PM, in article , "Locsmándi
Bence" wrote:

I don;t recall, but right off I'd go for a classic Fender 6-string bass and
someone who knows how to get that out of it.

SSJVCmag

http://www.spaceagepop.com/bell.htm

jtougas

On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:50:34 GMT, "Locsmándi Bence"
wrote:

Hi!

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Baritone guitar or Fender VI?

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings

SSJVCmag

On 5/5/05 7:17 PM, in article , "Locsmándi
Bence" wrote:

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

You might well like this:

http://www.pascalrecords.com/b_vanduras.html

http://www.zptdudamusic.com/vanduras...ith_Robert.mp3

Locsmándi Bence

No, no, no...
I've been thru of this Shadows thing when I was young. The reciepe for this
is very well known...
I wouldn't ask for that.
Thanks

b.

"SSJVCmag" az alábbiakat írta a következo
hírüzenetben: ...
On 5/5/05 7:17 PM, in article ,
"Locsmándi
Bence" wrote:

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme
of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song
Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

You might well like this:

http://www.pascalrecords.com/b_vanduras.html

http://www.zptdudamusic.com/vanduras...ith_Robert.mp3

SSJVCmag

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=96

Bence" wrote:

I don;t recall, but right off I'd go for a classic Fender 6-string bass and
someone who knows how to get that out of it.

SSJVCmag

So the Twin Peaks sound is NOT what you;re after?
I guess I got kinda lost then...

Vince Bell + FenderVI = TP...

Bence" wrote:

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme
of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song
Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

You might well like this:

http://www.pascalrecords.com/b_vanduras.html

http://www.zptdudamusic.com/vanduras...ith_Robert.mp3

Jonathan Roberts

"Locsmándi Bence" wrote:

achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks.

That one is, I believe, samples.

Thing to do is use heavy strings tuned down a bit, the neck pickup, a
light pick near the bridge, and of course tremolo on the amp.

--
Jonathan Roberts * guitar, keyboards, vocals * North River Preservation
To reach me reverse: moc(dot)xobop(at)ggestran
jtougas

Bence" wrote:

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Robert Smith played a Fender VI during the Cure Disintegration album,
too. (for an example of use in a different context)

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message ...

http://www.spaceagepop.com/bell.htm

Interesting...

playon

1. Write some great music

2. Acquire vintage DanElectro six string bass.

3. Hire Vinnie Bell to play it.

4. Have good tube amp with a great tremelo sound.

5. Samples, my ass.

wrote:

Hi!

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Bence

playon

On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:59:18 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

So the Twin Peaks sound is NOT what you;re after?
I guess I got kinda lost then...

Vince Bell + FenderVI = TP...

It's not a Fender... the Danelectro Baritone/6 string basses sound
better, plus Vinnie Bell helped design them... I doubt he would be
caught dead playing a Fender VI.

Al

Bence" wrote:

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme
of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song
Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

You might well like this:

http://www.pascalrecords.com/b_vanduras.html

http://www.zptdudamusic.com/vanduras...ith_Robert.mp3

Dave Martin

"playon" wrote in message

It's not a Fender... the Danelectro Baritone/6 string basses sound
better, plus Vinnie Bell helped design them... I doubt he would be
caught dead playing a Fender VI.

Well, I own all three of the instruments you mentioned - a Fender Bass VI, a
Danelectro Baritone, and a Danelectro tic-tac (6 string bass for you east
and west coasters). I wouldn't characterize the Fender as sounding worse
than the Danos, only different. I use them all.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

SSJVCmag

On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

It's not a Fender... the Danelectro Baritone/6 string basses sound
better, plus Vinnie Bell helped design them... I doubt he would be
caught dead playing a Fender VI.

Well, I own all three of the instruments you mentioned - a Fender Bass VI, a
Danelectro Baritone, and a Danelectro tic-tac (6 string bass for you east
and west coasters). I wouldn't characterize the Fender as sounding worse
than the Danos, only different. I use them all.

The things you need to have in the studio to get that TP sound would start
(and probably end) with the following:

Angelo Badalamenti - Synthesizers and piano
Kinny Landrum - Synthesizers
Vinnie Bell - Electric guitars
Eddie Dixon - Electric guitars
Al Regni - Tenor saxophone, clarinet and flute
Eddie Daniels - Flute and clarinet
Grady Tate - Drums
Julee Cruise - Vocals

playon

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:43:00 GMT, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message
.. .

It's not a Fender... the Danelectro Baritone/6 string basses sound
better, plus Vinnie Bell helped design them... I doubt he would be
caught dead playing a Fender VI.

Well, I own all three of the instruments you mentioned - a Fender Bass VI, a
Danelectro Baritone, and a Danelectro tic-tac (6 string bass for you east
and west coasters). I wouldn't characterize the Fender as sounding worse
than the Danos, only different. I use them all.

Yeah you are right... I just prefer the sound of the Danos, it's
classic.

playon

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:13:09 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
. net, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

It's not a Fender... the Danelectro Baritone/6 string basses sound
better, plus Vinnie Bell helped design them... I doubt he would be
caught dead playing a Fender VI.

Well, I own all three of the instruments you mentioned - a Fender Bass VI, a
Danelectro Baritone, and a Danelectro tic-tac (6 string bass for you east
and west coasters). I wouldn't characterize the Fender as sounding worse
than the Danos, only different. I use them all.

The things you need to have in the studio to get that TP sound would start
(and probably end) with the following:

Angelo Badalamenti - Synthesizers and piano
Kinny Landrum - Synthesizers
Vinnie Bell - Electric guitars
Eddie Dixon - Electric guitars
Al Regni - Tenor saxophone, clarinet and flute
Eddie Daniels - Flute and clarinet
Grady Tate - Drums
Julee Cruise - Vocals

Grady Tate played on that? Wow he really had the old school crew on
there.
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"Locsmándi Bence" wrote in message
Hi!

Could some one help how to achieve that guitar sound in the main theme of
Twin Peaks. Maybe that was made with samples, but is there a way to get
really that sound with a decent guitar setup/rig?
Some simular sound can be heard in the beginning of Van Halen's song Right
Now.
Thanks a lot!

Bence

I'll make a wild stab: a Gretsch Tennesseean One with lots of tremelo?

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Dave Martin

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message
nk.net...

I'll make a wild stab: a Gretsch Tennesseean One with lots of tremelo?

That's the Duane Eddy sound, not the Twin Peaks sound. Close, though...

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

SSJVCmag

On 5/6/05 6:35 PM, in article ,
"playon" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:13:09 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

[...]

Oldschool scmoldschool... You want results, you hire good.

My god... It ain't WHAT school... It's Good vs Blah.
I was assisting live-recording a pretty decent jazz band last night...
Turns out they were the break-band for a night of Big Money Raising for
children;s hospital (who knew?)

SET 1 -them
SET 2 - diane schurr
Set 3 THEM
Set 4 Nancy Wilson
Set 5 them

Now Diane Schurr was marvelous
but Wilson and her trio Absolutly Melted Everybody in the room
.....AT HER 3-song SOUND CHECK....

3 guys and a 70yr old lady in a jogging suit wandering around stage like she
was looking for a lost pair of glasses tweaking monitors and stage details
and oh-by-the-way making music that'd wipe every
Jones/Keyes/Carey/Houston/Whomever-slaved-over-tweaked-edited 'performance'
from the last decade into little potato-chip crumbs in the carpet.

Her -set- was Something From Another Plane.

Bob O knows why.
So do at least a handfull of the regulars here.

Tommy B

You can't teach class!

Tom

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message
On 5/6/05 6:35 PM, in article ,
"playon" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:13:09 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

[...]

SSJVCmag

FOR DISCUSSION:
I think indeed to a major degree class IS learned. Aside from perhaps some
level of inate propensity to PAY ATTENTION, and a strong sense of
self-assurance and poise (which again is as much nuture as nature)... how
you carry yourself, how you choose in any situation to relate to what comes
at you from others, how you insist on The Best -first- from yourself and
then EXPECT it (and handle the lack of it with generosity, grace and style)
from others, is first learned by watching others who do this well and
naturally, and then CHOSEN as a Proper Manner for yourself.

And -with- all og that, it sure makes a difference to have -It-.

On 5/7/05 2:49 PM, in article
et, "Tommy B"
wrote:

You can't teach class!

Tom

[...]

Joe Sensor

SSJVCmag wrote:
FOR DISCUSSION:
I think indeed to a major degree class IS learned. Aside from perhaps some
level of inate propensity to PAY ATTENTION, and a strong sense of
self-assurance and poise (which again is as much nuture as nature)... how
you carry yourself, how you choose in any situation to relate to what comes
at you from others, how you insist on The Best -first- from yourself and
then EXPECT it (and handle the lack of it with generosity, grace and style)
from others, is first learned by watching others who do this well and
naturally, and then CHOSEN as a Proper Manner for yourself.

And -with- all og that, it sure makes a difference to have -It-.

What are you going on about??
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message...

What are you going on about??

"It", man... "it" !!

Either we have "it" or we don't.

Do you still have yours?

Tommy B

Experience & observation seem to be the best teaching method.
Humility can't be taught, but it sure can be learned.
Motown used to teach it's acts how to dress, speak etc., but this is not
class, cause it's an "outside job"
True class comes from within, like humility,IMHO.
A wise man once said to me, Trust the Art, not the Artist.
Then there's the "Golden Rule", now that's class!

Tom

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message
FOR DISCUSSION:
I think indeed to a major degree class IS learned. Aside from perhaps some
level of inate propensity to PAY ATTENTION, and a strong sense of
self-assurance and poise (which again is as much nuture as nature)... how
you carry yourself, how you choose in any situation to relate to what

comes
at you from others, how you insist on The Best -first- from yourself and
then EXPECT it (and handle the lack of it with generosity, grace and

style)
from others, is first learned by watching others who do this well and
naturally, and then CHOSEN as a Proper Manner for yourself.

And -with- all og that, it sure makes a difference to have -It-.

On 5/7/05 2:49 PM, in article
et, "Tommy B"
wrote:

You can't teach class!

Tom

[...]

SSJVCmag

On 5/7/05 5:55 PM, in article 4Pafe.1660$hb1.105@trnddc05, "David Morgan
(MAMS)" wrote:

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message...

What are you going on about??

"It", man... "it" !!

Either we have "it" or we don't.

Do you still have yours?

Some people just don't get It.

Hello,
I'm the guy who actually did that sound and it was a sample of a Duane
Eddy-type guitar on my Emulator 2. It was pitched down into the bass
register. David asked me to put "something 50s" on the track, and
Angelo just turned and looked away, like it was my problem. So I
rejected the usual cliches like high triplets on the piano and realized
there was no bass on the record. (The theme was originally a song
called "Falling" that David and Angelo wrote for Julee Cruise.) There
were low keyboards and strings but no bass per se so I said to David "I
have this Duane Eddy type guitar sound, perhaps we could pitch it in
the bass register." He said, let's hear it, heard a few notes, and to
his everlasting credit (because he didn't make me jump through any more
hoops) said, that's it, record it. Now remember that an E2 could only
do an octave of transposition either way, and this was a sample of a
guitar low A, but fortunately the lowest note I needed was Bb. And the
"tremolo" was done solely in the E2, by amplitude modulation, something
sorely missed on most of today's keyboards. Although Vinnie played on
the soundtrack, and has always been a good friend to me, and although I
understand he later doubled it or something, Art Polhemus the engineer
says my sample was all that was used in the finished mix. That's my
story, and I'm sticking to it.
Kinny Landrum

SSJVCmag wrote:
On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

[...]

SSJVCmag

Some days this place goes from ******s to wonders.
It's those thinly-distributed days that make it worthwhile...

I suppose there's a lesson here to as to examining why there are folks that
really CARE how these things happen, no matter WHAT the result to the
audience's ears.

Quiz Monday.

On 5/13/05 7:58 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

SSJVCmag wrote:
On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

[...]

playon

Well hush my mouth...

On 13 May 2005 04:58:06 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

SSJVCmag wrote:
On 5/6/05 9:43 AM, in article
et, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message

[...]

Jonathan Roberts

kinny landrum wrote:

Art Polhemus the engineer
says my sample was all that was used in the finished mix.

Sounds like a sample to me, based on the attack -- but it still sounds
neat. Time came to load up my little iPod Shuffle for a car trip
recently I stuck both the instrumental and "Falling" versions in there
and enjoyed hearing them both. Thanks!

--
Jonathan Roberts * guitar, keyboards, vocals * North River Preservation
To reach me reverse: moc(dot)xobop(at)ggestran

Jonathan Roberts

SSJVCmag wrote:

I suppose there's a lesson here to as to examining why there are folks that
really CARE how these things happen, no matter WHAT the result to the
audience's ears.

Welp, there are good ways and bad ways to do just about everything. If
you take the time to them the good way, someone will notice.

--
Jonathan Roberts * guitar, keyboards, vocals * North River Preservation
To reach me reverse: moc(dot)xobop(at)ggestran

By the way, if anyone wants that E2 sample, I ported it over years ago,
and have it as an AIFF file somewhere, with a loop I belive (but no
amplitude modulation, obviously; you have to do that yourself). If you
can tell me how to post it here, I'll do it.
Kinny Landrum

Locsmándi Bence

Thanks a lot, Kinny!

b.

[...]