Default 40gb: How much record time?

They say dozens of tracks but if recording non-stop such as a radio
talk show, how much record time can you get?

Rob

That would depend on the sampling rate.

wrote in message
oups.com...
They say dozens of tracks but if recording non-stop such as a radio
talk show, how much record time can you get?

G. Louie

And the bit depth. And how many channels. Or if it's compressed.
FWIW, my 40GB recorder holds over 60 hours of CD quality stereo audio.

In article , Rob wrote:
That would depend on the sampling rate.

wrote in message
roups.com...
They say dozens of tracks but if recording non-stop such as a radio
talk show, how much record time can you get?

John L Rice

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
They say dozens of tracks but if recording non-stop such as a radio
talk show, how much record time can you get?

Since the only clue you gave was "radio talk show", I will assume
you want to record two tracks (b/c the radio program is stereo) and
you want to record at 44.1 kHz sampling rate and 16-bit sample size.

The math is pretty simple. There are 44100 samples taken per second
per channel. Since a sample is 2 bytes and there are 2 channels,
that means 2 * 2 * 44100 bytes needed per second, plus any overhead,
of which there is virtually none. This means about 176 kilobytes
per second, and since there are 3600 seconds in an hour (and there
are 1024 * 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte), that means about 0.605
gigabytes per hour.

So, 40 gigabytes, that'd be about 40 / 0.6 == 66 hours.

If you use a higher sampling rate or larger sample sizes, you can just
multiply by the appropriate factor to adjust. For example, 24-bit
instead of 16-bit samples would mean you are using 50% more space,
so you need to multiply your capacity in hours by 2/3, giving 44 hours.
If you switch to 96 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz, you need to multiply your
capacity in hours by 44.1/96, so if you are doing 96 kHz and 24-bit,
your 40 GB now gives you about 20 hours.

- Logan

In addition, keep in mind that different operating systems ( and audio apps
too I guess ) have a file size limitations. Many are limited to 2 GB max so
using Logan's numbers above ( 0.605 gigabytes per hour ) and if your
system maxes out at a 2 GB file size you'll only be able to record about 3
hours and 20 minutes before your app stops or crashes ( or seems like it's
still working but you get nothing ). I think there are ways around this but
I never had a need for it.

John L Rice

Joe Kesselman

Quick reminder: For marketing purposes, disks are measured in
metric/decimal metric multipliers, not in computerese -- a kilobyte of
disk really is 1000 bytes, not 1024; a megabyte is a million bytes, and
so on.

From that, subtract whatever overhead the formatting and filesystem
imposes.

Its still going to be in the same general ballpark, but if you're trying
to calculate real numbers you need to allow for these.

I've been looking at the Tascam 2488 for demo-ing our 1 hour radio talk
show. Seems over kill for this purpose but mutliple tracks and storage
capacity and ability to burn CD are all attractive features. In
addition I don't think we would be needing all the effects provided on
the 2488. Seems like a lot of what we would be doing could be computer
based/generated but I like the controls and access of a digital
recorder.

Any over suggestions on a mixer/recorder/cd combo for a talk show and
not necessarily for recording music would be appreciated.