Rich

Default Double Bass... (I mean Upright) mics

I didn't want to hijack the other "Double Bass" thread, but I also thot
I'd find discussion about _upright_ bass mic recommendations. g

I'd love to hear mic suggestions for an upright in a traditional jazz
combo setting. I've been using a 77DX in figure 8 positioned carefully
just above the player's right hand. But sometimes, I need a more
focused (less wooly) sound. I haven't been particularily happy with an
RE20 or KM84. I may try a Soundelux U-195 next.

Suggestions? [I have a decent mic collection & great pres.]

AND - I'll use the opportunity to mention a new(?) bass mic I heard
recently in live situations: It's an unique design: AMT S25B.
Here's a pic...
http://www.micguys.com/amt/amt_s25b.htm

The sound is quite surprising. Good response in all ranges. If you
have a chance to audition one, DO IT.

Anyone have any personal (recording) experience with this mic?
Where can it be purchased for less than $600?

Best...
Rich

JimKollens

Rich:
Suggestions? [I have a decent mic collection & great pres.]

If you have a UM70 you will find that it is a nice choice. Any high
quality mic-pre will give good results with this mic but I've been
using an API3124 lately.

Paul Stamler

"JimKollens" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rich:
Suggestions? [I have a decent mic collection & great pres.]

If you have a UM70 you will find that it is a nice choice. Any high
quality mic-pre will give good results with this mic but I've been
using an API3124 lately.

Just about anything in the U47-descended family will give good results.

Another mike which will surprise you if you can find one is the
not-very-expensive Alesis/Groove Tubes AM51, a Chinese-sourced LD
solid-state mic that does very nice things on bass. Try it up on the
instrument's shoulder (the one the player isn't standing next to), over the
bridge or in that near-the-right-hand position someone mentioned earlier.

A BLUE Kiwi can also sound nice, but it wants to be about 2' away, which may
cause leakage problems in a combo.

Peace,
Paul

psalter

I like the Shure SM-7, but it needs a bit of gain.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:32:30 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

Just about anything in the U47-descended family will give good results.

My latest project, we used a AT4047 It sounded great. Mind you we had
a great player on a great instrument. We also took the time for him to
play in each spot in the room to find the best sound.
Lorin David Schultz

"Rich" wrote:

I'd love to hear mic suggestions for an upright in a traditional jazz
combo setting. I've been using a 77DX in figure 8 positioned
carefully just above the player's right hand. But sometimes, I need
a more focused (less wooly) sound. I haven't been particularily
happy with an RE20 or KM84. I may try a Soundelux U-195 next.

Suggestions? [I have a decent mic collection & great pres.]

I was somewhat surprised to decide that upright jazz bass is one
instrument that seems to benefit from the new generation of "top heavy"
mics.

I usually prefer more neutral mics like what you've listed, but for that
application I got happier when I put away my TLM193 and brought out the
KM184. Makes me think an AKG 414 might work well too.

I've never tried a U47 like someone else suggested, but I'd sure like to
sometime. It may be too dark for your taste based on what you wrote,
but I'll bet it would be mucho creamy.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Jedd Haas

In article GVB7e.31100$vt1.1915@edtnps90, "Lorin David Schultz"
wrote:

"Rich" wrote:

I'd love to hear mic suggestions for an upright in a traditional jazz
combo setting. I've been using a 77DX in figure 8 positioned
carefully just above the player's right hand. But sometimes, I need
a more focused (less wooly) sound. I haven't been particularily
happy with an RE20 or KM84. I may try a Soundelux U-195 next.

Suggestions? [I have a decent mic collection & great pres.]

Coles 4038

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com