John Walton

Default Akurate 242 --

Has anyone listened to the Linn Akurate 242's ? -- our local Linn dealer
didn't have them which leaves me wondering whether they produce $10k worth
of quality.

Russ Button

John Walton wrote:
Has anyone listened to the Linn Akurate 242's ? -- our local Linn dealer
didn't have them which leaves me wondering whether they produce $10k worth
of quality.

Just because your local Linn dealer doesn't stock a $10k loudspeaker
doesn't mean it isn't a fine product or is worth $10k. I don't know
what arrangement Linn has with its dealers, but if they sell things
on consignment, then they are tieing up inventory out in the field
with product that may or may not get sold. You don't sell $10k
loudspeakers every day...

Alternately if Linn requires the dealers to pay for the product first,
then you're asking the dealer to tie up their capital in a product
which is inherently difficult to sell because of its high price tag
and the fact that hi-end two channel is a dying business.

If you really want to hear this model of Linn loudspeaker, then go to
Linn's website and drop them a line asking where you can hear this
model of loudspeaker. You may need to take a trip somewhere for this,
but a $10k loudspeaker purchase isn't a casual thing.

What alternatives to this loudspeaker have you considered? There are
a lot of fine choices in this price range.

Russ
Russ Button

John Walton wrote:
Has anyone listened to the Linn Akurate 242's ? -- our local Linn dealer
didn't have them which leaves me wondering whether they produce $10k worth
of quality.

Point your web browser at:

http://www.linn.co.uk/akurate_preview/register.asp

And Linn will send you an e-mail with information as to
where you can hear the Akurate 242.

BTW, remember when I said that hi-end two channel was a dying
industry? Point your web browser at the following Linn Dealer
and you'll see that they very reinforce this point,

http://www.sightandsounds.com/

Russ